Howdy!

How do i use WIFI and mobile data at the same time?

Need to do this for a Drone that is connected via WIFI to the phone. When the drone is connected with wifi it shuts off all incoming/outgoing data. I need to be able to use the mobile data to live stream the video for an upcoming event.. IOS devices support this option so im sure blackberry/android does also..somehow

Anyone have a suggestion?
    04-03-18 10:39 AM
    You can enable Mobile Hotspot, and connect your drone to your mobile's WiFi network. It'll have access to the internet that way.

If that doesn't work, then I have no other tips.
    04-03-18 10:54 AM
    The drone connects to the phone via WIFI, the drone itself dont need internet. So when flying it all data is off to make sure nothing interferes with the video or what not on the phone screen. But i need mobile data on also so i can send the video from the drone over the internet to live stream

So WIFI on - Connected to the drone
    Mobile Data on sending the video stream over the internet

IOS can be connected to a WIFI connection with no internet connectivity and use the mobile data to send the data via internet.

In dev options i see an option called - Mobile data always active... but this dont seem to be doing what i need it to.

WIFI+Mobile Data need to be both sending and receiving data at the same time.

The drone makes the hotspot and phone connects to that. I cant tell the drone what wifi to connect to as the drone itself is the wifi connection
    04-03-18 11:00 AM
    The drone connects to the phone via WIFI, the drone itself dont need internet. So when flying it all data is off to make sure nothing interferes with the video or what not on the phone screen. But i need mobile data on also so i can send the video from the drone over the internet to live stream

So WIFI on - Connected to the drone
    Mobile Data on sending the video stream over the internet

IOS can be connected to a WIFI connection with no internet connectivity and use the mobile data to send the data via internet.

In dev options i see an option called - Mobile data always active... but this dont seem to be doing what i need it to.

WIFI+Mobile Data need to be both sending and receiving data at the same time.

The drone makes the hotspot and phone connects to that. I cant tell the drone what wifi to connect to as the drone itself is the wifi connection
    Ok, I see. I was thinking your phone was the WiFi hub, not your drone.

Unfortunately, I don't believe Android can do it. That option you found in Developer Options will keep your cellular active, but only to help the transition between WiFi and cellular (more smooth, less obvious loss of data). I have always had to disconnect from a WiFi network with no data before I would be able to use my cellular data.

Is it possible for you to use a laptop instead?
    04-03-18 11:21 AM
    Might have to go hijack someones i phone and go that route since they are able to do this option.. boo

Wouldnt i be in the same pickle using a laptop? Connected to wifi to the drone and still would not have internet connectivity. Im about 6km away from the location i need to live stream the video to.
    04-03-18 11:24 AM
    have you actually tested this? im pretty sure the the phone is smart enough to tell that the wifi connection has no data and then will use the cell phone connection for the data stream as normal.
    04-03-18 11:52 AM
    Might have to go hijack someones i phone and go that route since they are able to do this option.. boo

Wouldnt i be in the same pickle using a laptop? Connected to wifi to the drone and still would not have internet connectivity. Im about 6km away from the location i need to live stream the video to.
    You can share data connections. For example, I was able to hard-wire my xbox 360 to my laptop, then bridge the wired and wireless connections together so I could play my xbox 360 online.

You would most likely need a laptop with two wifi connections for this to work (built-in and a wifi dongle). One connected to your drone, and the other connected to a hotspot.

Obviously the easiest route is the iPhone/iPad.

Actually, does the drone have an Android app? That app should be able to make it work. I'm assuming you've already tried to look this up, though.
    04-03-18 11:54 AM
    have you actually tested this? im pretty sure the the phone is smart enough to tell that the wifi connection has no data and then will use the cell phone connection for the data stream as normal.
    Have tested it yes. When the Keyone is connect to the drone i have no internet access. No web browser or anything even with the dev option enabled.

Tried the DJI app and Litchi and neither have an option for it. All the youtube videos say no Android support and only works on IOS due to cant have wifi+data working at the same time. I did find a little app that kind of bridges the wifi+data but your limited to 1gig for free.. and im going to be chewing up alot more then 1 gig

Ill go to the location ill be at and see if there is any open wifi connections.. if so then i could use my toughbook .. oh no i cant.. cant load the android app on it to view the data from the drone.

Sooo back to option 2. Find a dumb IOS device
    jope28 likes this.
    04-03-18 12:24 PM
    PMFJI but I was about to post an inquiry to see if anyone had used a Motion with DJI Go and a Spark drone, with or without the remote. I gather you are using a Keyone successfully (apart from the lack of simultaneous connection capability), is that right?

Posted via CB10
    04-03-18 12:32 PM
    Hmmm... following thread.
    I would've thought Android had more of these tricks up its sleeves than iOS.
    But who knows?, Android P might bring that functionality to be on par with iOS.
    04-03-18 12:36 PM
    Have tested it yes. When the Keyone is connect to the drone i have no internet access. No web browser or anything even with the dev option enabled.

Tried the DJI app and Litchi and neither have an option for it. All the youtube videos say no Android support and only works on IOS due to cant have wifi+data working at the same time. I did find a little app that kind of bridges the wifi+data but your limited to 1gig for free.. and im going to be chewing up alot more then 1 gig

Ill go to the location ill be at and see if there is any open wifi connections.. if so then i could use my toughbook .. oh no i cant.. cant load the android app on it to view the data from the drone.

Sooo back to option 2. Find a dumb IOS device
    That's what I feared. Hopefully you can find one you can borrow. Maybe buy one from a store, use it that one day, then return it? Can't say I haven't done that before. :P
    04-03-18 01:14 PM
    PMFJI but I was about to post an inquiry to see if anyone had used a Motion with DJI Go and a Spark drone, with or without the remote. I gather you are using a Keyone successfully (apart from the lack of simultaneous connection capability), is that right?

Posted via CB10
    Correct using Litchi and DJI Go with the Keyone, Passport, and Priv. Priv seems to work the best with the least amount of crashes for some reason
    04-03-18 01:37 PM
    Correct using Litchi and DJI Go with the Keyone, Passport, and Priv. Priv seems to work the best with the least amount of crashes for some reason
    Passport? Yoiks. Sideloaded I guess(?)

Posted via CB10
    04-03-18 02:13 PM
    Passport? Yoiks. Sideloaded I guess(?)

Posted via CB10
    It twas yes. Passport, Priv and now Keyone all ran Litchi and DJI Go, Keyone seems to have the most app crashes and issues of the 3
    04-03-18 03:16 PM