Hey guys, can someone tell me how to exactly pry off the back cover without damaging the plastic?

I've got a tool to pry things open but there doesn't seem to be enough space to get the tool under the back cover to start prying. What's the trick? How did JerryRig do it?

The reason I want to do this in the first place is because I dropped my KEYone and part of the backcover came off. And when I popped it back in, I accidentally trapped some air in there and now my cover makes abit of noise lol. Trying to release the air bubble
    09-11-17 11:21 PM
    'Proper' way is noted here - https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/BlackBe...assembly/92149

- Heat top of phone
    - Remove plastic cover
    - Remove two Phillips screws
    - Slide off the Plastic Top of the Phone
    - Remove the Rear Plastic Battery Cover

Bit excessive considering you can just pop it off slightly again to remove the air.
    bendiep1991 likes this.
    09-11-17 11:56 PM
    'Proper' way is noted here - https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/BlackBe...assembly/92149

- Heat top of phone
    - Remove plastic cover
    - Remove two Phillips screws
    - Slide off the Plastic Top of the Phone
    - Remove the Rear Plastic Battery Cover

Bit excessive considering you can just pop it off slightly again to remove the air.
    Yeah very excessive, I guess I'll have to wait til it pops off again from a drop ...
    09-12-17 12:21 AM
    Yeah very excessive, I guess I'll have to wait til it pops off again from a drop ...

If you have a pop socket or style ring, you can gently pull the back off with one of those if it's that bothersome.
    bendiep1991 likes this.
    09-12-17 12:23 AM
    If you have a pop socket or style ring, you can gently pull the back off with one of those if it's that bothersome.
    I'll try that! Cheers Blaze!
    09-12-17 12:32 AM
    Turns out there's actually a pressure point on the back cover (abit below/next to the power button), where if you push down hard enough, the back-cover prys itself a tiny bit open, just enough to get a prying tool underneath. Successfully removed the air bubble lol
    09-17-17 03:33 AM
    what do you recommend for technique if one just wants to replace the back cover?
    10-01-19 12:15 PM
    what technique do you recommend for replacing the back cover when one just has to replace it (without taking everything else apart) i've gone through 6 covers already (this is after watching the you tube videos, etc)
    10-01-19 12:19 PM
    I had battery pop and new battery is fine but popped cover was hard ro reposition the top under the bezel... finally I got it in but the clips down won't pop back in. they don't look damaged. I ordered another back off ebay which will NOT go on. top goes in fine and snaps bit then thing appears a scoch (about 1mm) too long. they cameras silver bezel fell off in the interim. Original back on but held using an amzer soft back. what now?
    Last edited by RLeeSimon; 10-01-19 at 08:39 PM.
    10-01-19 03:49 PM
    I had stolen battery pop and new battery is fine but popped cover was hard ro reposition the top under the bezel... finally I got it in but the clips down won't pop back in. they don't look damaged. I ordered another back off ebay which will NOT go on. top goes in fine and snaps bit then thing appears a scoch (about 1mm) too long. they cameras silver bezel fell off in the interim. Original back on but held using an amzer soft back. what now?
    "Stolen Battery".....Shame on you...
    RLeeSimon likes this.
    10-01-19 06:19 PM
    I had stolen battery pop and new battery is fine but popped cover was hard ro reposition the top under the bezel... finally I got it in but the clips down won't pop back in. they don't look damaged. I ordered another back off ebay which will NOT go on. top goes in fine and snaps bit then thing appears a scoch (about 1mm) too long. they cameras silver bezel fell off in the interim. Original back on but held using an amzer soft back. what now?
    Did you push in the clip just above the BB logo?

Posted via CB10
    10-01-19 08:05 PM
    I'm aware of its existence and I believe I pressed it properly but I will recheck at your suggestion.
    10-01-19 08:40 PM
    "Stolen Battery".....Shame on you...
    Nope, paid for
    10-01-19 08:43 PM
    yes- i pushed the clip in near the logo.
    10-02-19 08:59 AM
    The recommended way to remove the back is to first remove the panel at the top of the phone beside the earphone jack, then use a small torx screwdriver to loosen or take the cap off the phone body. This allows you to snap the back in place and then replace the cap, which overlaps the back panel. Without loosening the cap it’s possible to get the back to slip under it but not easy. There are a couple of problems that can arise from this procedure however (ask me how I know). One is that the top panel of the phone is very thin and delicate and can be easily distorted, damaged or bent. It’s stuck on with sticky glue and you have to pry it up from the correct side (not sure which one this is - check YouTube video). If you try and pry up the wrong side you’ll wreck the top because the other side has a tiny tab that slips under a lip so it has to be slid off the lip before it will come off. It’s pretty easy to replace the top panel with cell phone tape if you haven’t bent it or you haven’t damaged it by trying to pry it off from the wrong side first. If you do it right and take your time the back will go back on perfectly. Hope this explanation is clear.
    jgreenholtz likes this.
    10-02-19 01:56 PM
    Is that clip they one around the middle? Does it get pressed BEFORE going down the sides and bottom edges? In Mt case, I initially had trouble with insertion under top bezel which is now done correctly per your 30° advice.

T'is a puzzlement !!
    10-02-19 02:00 PM
    Is that clip they one around the middle? Does it get pressed BEFORE going down the sides and bottom edges? In Mt case, I initially had trouble with insertion under top bezel which is now done correctly per your 30° advice.

T'is a puzzlement !!
    I've posted this many times before but there we go again.

First you must start at the top left corner and the little black section of the case to the left of the lens cover. You must make sure that it is fully inserted under the top cover and then make sure the lens cover is also fully under the top cover.

Second, now while pressing on the lens cover keeping it in place now lift up the cover at an angle to slip the remainder of the back cover under the top cover. If all is not lined up at this point you will not be able to snap any clips in place. But if you are lined up go ahead and start snapping it in starting with the center clip.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-19 03:30 PM

First you must start at the top left corner and the little black section of the case to the left of the lens cover. You must make sure that it is fully inserted under the top cover and then make sure the lens cover is also fully under the top cover.

Second, now while pressing on the lens cover keeping it in place now lift up the cover at an angle to slip the remainder of the back cover under the top cover. If all is not lined up at this point you will not be able to snap any clips in place. But if you are lined up go ahead and start snapping it in starting with the center clip.

Posted via CB10
    Too many clips and covers lol.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-19 07:11 PM
    this is the exact technique i used. for me, getting the bottom tabs to click in to place was the toughest. invariably clips had to be "unclipped" to do this and the more that occurs the more likely they are to fail. which they did.
    10-03-19 12:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's easy to forget the center clip... I have better result now that I did that, but the very bottom clips are still not all OK...
    10-04-19 11:37 AM
    It's easy to forget the center clip... I have better result now that I did that, but the very bottom clips are still not all OK...
    So order a new back cover and use the one where you broke the lens cover and use it as practise to ensure you do it right next time. Either that or remove the top cover and place the back cover in place and then put the top cover on afterwards. DO NOT STICK ANYTHING INTO THE MICROPHONE HOLE IN THE TOP COVER WHILE REMOVING IT.
    10-04-19 05:35 PM