I currently use the Priv, which I've had since it came out. I'm thinking of going to the KEYone.

I've been a die-hard user of all BlackBerry flagship PKB phones for a long time (had a few with the "trackball"). I'm mainly using it for business, mostly phone, email and text. I've loved the typing and EDITING experiences on all my BlackBerry phones with the exception of the Q10 because they dropped the trackpad, which of course was back on the Classic but then it was, alas, gone forever ever since.

To me, the dropping of the trackpad was a horrific loss. I don't care what they've done with this touch-sensitive keyboard on the Priv, to me it's a fancy gimmick that doesn't work even 40% as efficiently as the trackpad did for editing text, and the software/user choices for customizing how it behaves (I'm on Verizon, FWIW) still don't make it all that tolerable. Sure, it's better than nothing, but it's got a mind of its own and just choosing where to be in text I'm writing to edit it is a really maddening experience since most of the time it jumps around when I'm trying to navigate and I end up having to go back and correct it, have to watch it and go really slow, or end up sending with typos.

(I don't want to disable it since I want to be able to use it to navigate as opposed to tapping the screen, but not have it keep trying to out-think me with simple things like backspacing vs deleting words or phrases, and it would sure be nice for a crisper way to get it in and out of "cursor vs edit" mode with a double-tap that doesn't alone end up being construed as cursor positioning that ends up having me typing in the wrong place right after I used it to get to where I wanted to be positioned. This is no trackpad, folks!)

I can't overstate how frustrating I find this! I'm frequently stressing, even cursing out loud, while being very busy and trying to get work done, because of this annoyingly inefficient approach to the most basic tasks of using a PKB for typing and editing text, which BB is "supposed" to excel at!

It's not just my having been spoiled with a trackpad all these years -- it's the genuinely annoying tedium of constantly wrestling with this thing just to compose a simple email or text to send it.

And, yes, I read/watched all the tutorials early on and customized it to the extent that it will allow. (And I have very good hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity.)

[Okay, tirade over.]

I also find the keyboard on the Priv to be almost that of a toy compared to, say, the Classic or some of the earlier PKB BB phones. To me, it's just not nearly as user-friendly of a form factor for typing.

So, having said all that, I'm wondering if those two specific areas alone are enough reason to go to the KEYone. I'm especially wondering if the way the touch-PKB works is any smarter or any more customizable/controllable and user-friendly than on the Priv.

I'm assuming it goes without saying the KEYone form factor makes typing, in and of itself, a generally more user-friendly experience. But that's not nearly as compelling a consideration to me for now as the way the touch-PKB "thinks" when I'm trying to just use it for cursor positioning and text selection. Fort that matter, does the bigger PKB form-factor on the KEYone make cursor control significantly more efficient just by virtue of the larger size?

Thanks!
    Last edited by classact; 07-04-17 at 02:06 AM.
    07-04-17 01:53 AM
    I guess editing would be similar however I find the K1 feel to be a lot better in that it's easier to type you don't feel that the keys are compressed and as cramped.

The keys also feel more natural to press at least for me.

Worth it for me
    07-04-17 06:45 AM
    Keyone keyboard is much better. But to me the trackpad function isn't any better. If anything it might be a tad worse.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    07-04-17 07:42 AM
    I wish the KEYᵒⁿᵉ pkb was designed more like the BlackBerry legacy keyboards (the Curve keyboard as a example) including the trackpad. Ergonomics consideration at its best.
    07-04-17 08:20 AM
    The Privs keyboard catches a lot of slack. I actually enjoy typing on it. No its not the best, yes it could of been like "x" BlackBerry devices keyboard. But one thing CB peeps need to realize is every BlackBerry machine is unique in its own form factor. The Priv had a keyboard embedded inside the chassis slider function behind the screen, it's not going to be the best of keyboards. But for what they accomplished of fitting a keyboard behind that is relatively good, that's no problem with me.

The trackpad in my opinion is the most underrated function ever put on a smartphone, if the KeyOne had it, it would've been the best phone ever.

I wouldn't downplay the capacitive touch technology thought. It is certainly not a gimicl whatsoever. It's genius functionality that has a major benefit to how I use my devices. Plus it gets a "wow" from onlookers.

As far as what device is a better typing experience, that goes to the KeyOne, hands down. The K1 has a great keyboard. It's the first glossy "mushy" BlackBerry keyboard and it's awesome. It still doesn't compare to the typing experience on the Passport SE. The capacitive touch feature and flick typing was built specifically for BB10, it works absolutely flawless. But on android, since android is android, it works ok... not great, not bad. I also noticed the KeyOnes capacitive touch sensors isn't on the spacebar (since they implemented the fingerprint sensor there) and it seems it's only in the very middle row and maybe a tad below the top row. But yeah, the K1 keyboard reigns supreme over the Privs. Get the K1 dude, it owns the Priv in every category except screen display.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-17 08:44 AM
    I wasn't a fan of the pkb on the Priv - so much so I stopped using it altogether.

But I can type all day on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ pkb. It's my favourite keyboard ever - and I go back to the BlackBerry 7100i.
    07-04-17 08:47 AM
    Keyone keyboard is much better. But to me the trackpad function isn't any better. If anything it might be a tad worse.
    Worse how? Texture of the keys? How the software responds/behaves (ie: going in and out of cursor/edit modes)? Something else?
    07-04-17 06:23 PM
    I wasn't a fan of the pkb on the Priv - so much so I stopped using it altogether.

But I can type all day on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ pkb. It's my favourite keyboard ever - and I go back to the BlackBerry 7100i.
    Why is it your favorite keyboard ever? Just curious

Posted via CB10
    07-04-17 06:54 PM
    Why is it your favorite keyboard ever? Just curious

Posted via CB10
    To me it's the right size for two-thumbed use. I always thought the Passport required too much travel, and slowed me down.

The capacitive-touch makes it better than other keyboards of the same size because of flick (and scrolling, and cursor).

It also feels about as nice to me as any previous BlackBerry keyboard including the Bold.
    07-04-17 09:23 PM
    To me it's the right size for two-thumbed use. I always thought the Passport required too much travel, and slowed me down.

The capacitive-touch makes it better than other keyboards of the same size because of flick (and scrolling, and cursor).

It also feels about as nice to me as any previous BlackBerry keyboard including the Bold.
    How does it compare to the Classic and Q10 for example

Posted via CB10
    07-04-17 09:41 PM
    How does it compare to the Classic and Q10 for example

Posted via CB10
    That would be my second paragraph.
    07-04-17 10:35 PM
    Second thought why don't you head out to a mobile store that has the k1 on display and give it a test drive!!?
    07-04-17 11:01 PM
    Second thought why don't you head out to a mobile store that has the k1 on display and give it a test drive!!?
    Would love to but can't locate a store that is selling them.
    07-04-17 11:04 PM
    keyone's pkb has larger buttons (priv's really were too small but I was used to them however they really do slow typing speed) and priv has a mushier feel to the keyboard. the KEYone trackpad is slightly worse than priv's but it's something that can be fixed by software vs the hardware (capacitive keyboard being used as a trackpad)
    07-05-17 12:15 AM
    A trackpad would fix it, too. I'm just sayin'. (I guess I keep hoping if I say it long enough they will listen.)
    Smokeaire likes this.
    07-05-17 12:29 AM