The Keyone is on 7. Will it be updated to 8 or 9?. When?
    02-23-18 09:02 AM
    Guaranteed at least one major update and 3 years of security patches.

After that, it's anyone's guess.

I don't expect to see Oreo until after the next device release - maybe June?
    02-23-18 09:05 AM
    If you’re asking that question, you probably shouldn’t be a BBM customer. Dates are always hazy, nothing is ever black and white. Be prepared to wait and wait and wait.

I suppose that’s why most businesses choose iOS: predictability. With BlackBerry devices, you are buying what IS. Expecting future updates/patches/support usually leads to disappointment.
    anon(10218918) and Adan Chou like this.
    02-23-18 09:42 AM
    If you’re asking that question, you probably shouldn’t be a BBM customer. Dates are always hazy, nothing is ever black and white. Be prepared to wait and wait and wait.

I suppose that’s why most businesses choose iOS: predictability. With BlackBerry devices, you are buying what IS. Expecting future updates/patches/support usually leads to disappointment.
    BlackBerry Mobile (TCL) has been pretty decent with hitting their objectives so far.

Don't confuse them with BlackBerry.

Apart from Sprint, all KEYᵒⁿᵉs and Motions are on Jan patch. Not too shabby.
    TCM01 likes this.
    02-23-18 09:44 AM
    BlackBerry Mobile (TCL) has been pretty decent with hitting their objectives so far.

Don't confuse them with BlackBerry.

Apart from Sprint, all KEYᵒⁿᵉs and Motions are on Jan patch. Not too shabby.
    Not confusing anything.

How’s that Oreo update working out for you? Coming when? No one knows. Any beta versions available? Nope. Even Apple, the so called “secretive” company, now releases both public and developer betas of all its OS software. Like I said, with BlackBerry/TCL, you’re buying what IS.

How about those new devices? When are they being announced? No one knows. Any other details available? Nope, just that they’re pkb devices (well of course). Reminds me of The Mist.

The problem is that the entire BlackBerry brand is now an experimental venture. By buying a device you’re signing up for their experiment.
    anon(10218918) and krazyatom like this.
    02-23-18 10:12 AM
    Not confusing anything.

How’s that Oreo update working out for you? Coming when? No one knows. Any beta versions available? Nope. Even Apple, the so called “secretive” company, now releases both public and developer betas of all its OS software. Like I said, with BlackBerry/TCL, you’re buying what IS.

How about those new devices? When are they being announced? No one knows. Any other details available? Nope, just that they’re pkb devices (well of course). Reminds me of The Mist.

The problem is that the entire BlackBerry brand is now an experimental venture. By buying a device you’re signing up for their experiment.
    You're ignorance of their timelines do not imply they aren't hitting their own targets.

They haven't broken any commitments.

I suspect we will see a new device roughly a year after their first device. Is that weird?

Normally new devices launch with the next OS prior to updates to existing devices. Is that weird?

You seem to be making something out of nothing.
    02-23-18 10:17 AM
    You're ignorance of their timelines do not imply they aren't hitting their own targets.

They haven't broken any commitments.

I suspect we will see a new device roughly a year after their first device. Is that weird?

Normally new devices launch with the next OS prior to updates to existing devices. Is that weird?

You seem to be making something out of nothing.
    Lol, spin from the greatest BlackBerry evangelist and apologist of our time.

They haven’t MADE any commitments beyond security patches and Oreo. So far, no signs of Oreo unlike most other phone makers.

We don’t know their timeline at all. By this time last year, the keyone was announced. So where’s the announcement by your logic? All we know about is a copper keyone lol.

Listen, if you’re ok to blindly wait and take the gifts from the TCL gods when they are bestowed, great!

I stand by my statement, with BlackBerry, you’re buying what IS. Don’t expect anything more and you won’t be disappointed. Those that have been around BlackBerry (and yes, I know it’s TCL now but BlackBerry still does the software) long enough and don’t wear rose coloured glasses know what I’m talking about.
    02-23-18 01:13 PM
    If we're lucky TCL remembers what the KEYone and Motion are at MWC next week and says something about Oreo. But without any betas, leaks, or certifications, all that there is about Oreo is TCL's word, which is either without any precedent to go on (if one excuses pre-KEYone shenanigans), or not worth the paper it's printed on (if one doesn't).
    02-23-18 01:18 PM
    They haven’t MADE any commitments beyond security patches and Oreo. So far, no signs of Oreo unlike most other phone makers.
    Most? Oreo is on less than 1.1% of devices.
    02-23-18 01:20 PM
    If we're lucky TCL remembers what the KEYone and Motion are at MWC next week and says something about Oreo. But without any betas, leaks, or certifications, all that there is about Oreo is TCL's word, which is either without any precedent to go on (if one excuses pre-KEYone shenanigans), or not worth the paper it's printed on (if one doesn't).
    I'll go with "without any precedent".
    02-23-18 01:21 PM
    Maybe so but companies like Samsung, Essential, OnePlus and of course Google either have betas out or have final upgrades. Android fragmentation will always lead to those kinds of numbers.

Instead of using their Instagram to provide updates and info people actually want, they just show pretty girls with a keyone.
    02-23-18 03:10 PM
    Maybe so but companies like Samsung, Essential, OnePlus and of course Google either have betas out or have final upgrades.
    Apart from Pixel, how many of those are certified by Google for Secure Enterprise?
    https://androidenterprisepartners.wi...s/browse-all/2

Hint: none.
    TCM01 likes this.
    02-23-18 03:13 PM
    Maybe so but companies like Samsung, Essential, OnePlus and of course Google either have betas out or have final upgrades. Android fragmentation will always lead to those kinds of numbers.

Instead of using their Instagram to provide updates and info people actually want, they just show pretty girls with a keyone.
    Who says people don't want pictures of pretty girls?

Pete
    AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3057
    BigBadWulf and Ha P McBroom like this.
    02-23-18 03:19 PM
    Apart from Pixel, how many of those are certified by Google for Secure Enterprise?
    https://androidenterprisepartners.wi...s/browse-all/2

Hint: none.
    Sony and Huawei (on the list) have launched Oreo and maybe others.
    02-23-18 03:37 PM
    Sony and Huawei (on the list) have launched Oreo and maybe others.
    Having Oreo today seems to be your single definition for a "non-disappointing" smartphone future.

Heaven help the other 98.9% of devices out there.
    02-23-18 03:45 PM
    Why is BlackBerry always last?
    02-23-18 03:48 PM
    Why is BlackBerry always last?
    Because they insist on all the security options available plus including a PKB with most devices.
    02-23-18 03:53 PM
    But why last, can't they up their game? They're losing what little credibility is left to them what with the vast Bulk of BlackBerry devices I use now receiving no security updates... not so good
    02-23-18 03:58 PM
    But why last, can't they up their game? They're losing what little credibility is left to them what with the vast Bulk of BlackBerry devices I use now receiving no security updates... not so good
    How do you calculate "last" when only 1.1% are on Oreo?

All KEYᵒⁿᵉs and Motions are on Jan patch. What other BlackBerry Mobile devices do you have?
    TCM01 and IndianTiwari like this.
    02-23-18 04:03 PM
    I am not smart enough to calculate. I wonder if Oreo is worth shivering over anyway...
    02-23-18 04:05 PM
    Having Oreo today seems to be your single definition for a "non-disappointing" smartphone future.

Heaven help the other 98.9% of devices out there.
    Dude, I’m getting bored and you’re missing the point. You have an agenda. I get it.

Let me break it down for you and please let’s end it here because I think the others are getting bored as well. Google, like Apple, is trying to tighten security with each major revision of android. Blackberry/TCL are beating their chest claiming to produce the most secure handsets on the market. Using deductive reasoning, it would follow that the MOST secure phone would need to be running the latest, most secure version of android. But for BlackBerry that is far from the case. They are one of the last (if not THE last) companies to upgrade their phones with major releases. In fact, the only android BlackBerry ever to receive a major version upgrade was the Priv with Marshmallow (and even that came way too late). It follows then that most other companies are more serious about security as they seem to get the major updates out way before BlackBerry/TCL. Hence, the premise of BlackBerry security is more smoke and mirrors.

The issue is not the update itself but a company touting security should damn well move heaven and earth to be on the latest code base before anyone else (maybe with the exception of google). THAT would at least create some value for the BlackBerry brand beyond the keys.
    gjh1978 likes this.
    02-23-18 04:39 PM
    Dude, I’m getting bored and you’re missing the point. You have an agenda. I get it.

Let me break it down for you and please let’s end it here because I think the others are getting bored as well. Google, like Apple, is trying to tighten security with each major revision of android. Blackberry/TCL are beating their chest claiming to produce the most secure handsets on the market. Using deductive reasoning, it would follow that the MOST secure phone would need to be running the latest, most secure version of android. But for BlackBerry that is far from the case. They are one of the last (if not THE last) companies to upgrade their phones with major releases. In fact, the only android BlackBerry ever to receive a major version upgrade was the Priv with Marshmallow (and even that came way too late). It follows then that most other companies are more serious about security as they seem to get the major updates out way before BlackBerry/TCL. Hence, the premise of BlackBerry security is more smoke and mirrors.

The issue is not the update itself but a company touting security should damn well move heaven and earth to be on the latest code base before anyone else (maybe with the exception of google). THAT would at least create some value for the BlackBerry brand beyond the keys.
    Nonsense.

There are dozens of components to securing a smartphone. Updating to the next iteration of Android is but one.

You can't possibly make the unequivocal determination that BlackBerry Android Nougat is inferior to vanilla Oreo. I would go further and say that vanilla Oreo has nothing to compare to BlackBerry Integrity Detection and kernel hardening.

The Samsung S8 is JUST getting Oreo now, and will probably take months to deploy. BlackBerry Mobile won't be that far behind.

I have no agenda - I'm a regular community member like everyone else.
    02-23-18 04:45 PM
    Nonsense.

There are dozens of components to securing a smartphone. Updating to the next iteration of Android is but one.

You can't possibly make the unequivocal determination that BlackBerry Android Nougat is inferior to vanilla Oreo. I would go further and say that vanilla Oreo has nothing to compare to BlackBerry Integrity Detection and kernel hardening.

The Samsung S8 is JUST getting Oreo now, and will probably take months to deploy. BlackBerry Mobile won't be that far behind.

I have no agenda - I'm a regular community member like everyone else.
    Nonsense is right but it’s not coming from my end. I am aware there are many components to security but the OS kernel is a crucial one.

I am not comparing vanilla Oreo to BlackBerry nougat. What are you smoking? I am comparing the nougat BASE to Oreo BASE. Obviously BlackBerry makes their modifications to the base code but Oreo will be more secure than nougat to begin with. iOS 11 is more secure than 10, which is more secure than 9. Apple has confirmed it. I am quite certain android progresses in a similar manner. It’s a simple concept. Your arguments are based on arrogance not fact.

Samsung has been beta testing Oreo for months and has been available for installation to those who want it. Crickets from BlackBerry. And you know how far behind BlackBerry Mobile will be as much as I do (hint: not at all).
    02-23-18 09:53 PM

I am not comparing vanilla Oreo to BlackBerry nougat.
    You are if you're suggesting BlackBerry Android Nougat isn't the most secure Android in the market today.

And yes, it will be even more so soon.
    02-23-18 09:58 PM
    I guess beegee is a little upset that he has to buy a new iPhone every year after Apple surreptitiously slows them down. There is a prime example of security for you.
    Carjackd, TCM01, deezy87 and 1 others like this.
    02-23-18 10:04 PM
69 123