So I have been getting some people telling me that I do not sound very clear on phone calls even when I have a good signal strength.

I thought it might be a mic issue, so I downloaded a voice recording app, and I sound fine. Does that mean mic is not the problem?

Also, does a Keyone use the same mic for both speaker phone and "ear speaker" phone calls?

Basically, when I am on a "ear speaker" phone call, I need to have the Keyone right against my cheek. If I am holding the Keyone, any further than that (5 - 6 inches), people complain that they cannot hear me.
    Does this sound normal to you?
    06-23-18 03:07 AM
    This is the case with mine too. I'd love to know if there's a fix.
    06-23-18 03:13 AM
    There are two microphones. One of them below the phone at the left side. The other one is at the top of the phone for handsfree conversation. This is a general problem. Don't forget the microphone is left side.
    skstrials likes this.
    06-23-18 04:13 AM
    That is such a peculiar issue. has anyone had any success with a warranty exchange at all?
    06-23-18 07:19 AM
    K1 has mediocre call quality. I mostly talk on it using BT earbuds (Jaybird X3). It works better. Hoping for improvement on K2
    06-23-18 11:26 AM
    Mine too, so annoying, it's almost embarrassing at times.
    06-23-18 01:56 PM
    Are you using an unlocked device on a US carrier, for example AT&T?

If that is the case, part of it may be that you're "probably" not on HD Voice.
    06-23-18 01:59 PM
    I'm curious if it's carrier/phone variant related. I have a -3 unlocked on VZW and even in fringe areas with a marginal signal I'm told my call quality is good. I even traded phones with my wife one day (her's being an iPhone 6), out of curiosity, drove into town and called her to experience what other people are experiencing on their end. I found the call quality to be very good. My wife's voice was very clear and accurate (I'm obviously very familiar with my wife's voice and can compare to live). I would not say that it was as good as my Z30's call quality but definitely very good.

That being said, I have a coworker with a K1 on AT&T whom I have received calls from under similar conditions and I would describe the call quality on my end as mediocre, whereas she said I sounded good on her end. Go figure.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-23-18 02:29 PM
    Are you using an unlocked device on a US carrier, for example AT&T?

If that is the case, part of it may be that you're "probably" not on HD Voice.
    I'm use AT&T branded K1 on their network. Not sure if it uses HD voice or not. Is that something I can toggle on?
    06-23-18 07:15 PM
    I'm use AT&T branded K1 on their network. Not sure if it uses HD voice or not. Is that something I can toggle on?
    We have VoLTE. Under enhanced calling in settings. Believe it came toggled on not off.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    06-23-18 07:50 PM
    Same here. I have to keep the K1 pressed against my cheek when using the "ear speaker" on a call, otherwise people will say I'm breaking up or fading in and out.

I think it's because the mic is on the bottom of the phone. Used to have the same issue on the Classic (also mic on bottom). But never had that issue on the Z10, which had the mic on the front, or Q10 which was much smaller.

Overall I am not impressed with the call quality on the K1, and am really anxious to see some reviews of K2.
    06-23-18 08:47 PM
    We have VoLTE. Under enhanced calling in settings. Believe it came toggled on not off.
    EDIT: I missed that you said you were using branded device on carrier network. That's not the case for me, so I don't get HD Voice. : (

You should log into att.com, go to my wireless, manage devices and features, select your line and see all the feature options are there. I can't remember if HD Voice is a standalone feature anymore after changes over the last couple years. For iPhone it's bundled with WiFi Calling. If you see an option for HD Voice, add it.

Then you should be able to go into cellular network settings and make sure that "Enhanced LTE services" are enabled. This will only work if you're using an AT&T certified OS... (if you're using an autoloader for a different build, it might not work).
    Last edited by jadias; 06-23-18 at 11:49 PM.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    06-23-18 11:07 PM
    Thanks Chuck, found it. Is defaulted on. Note: "where available"

Edit: tried to embed ss of settings page. CB forums app won't let me.
    06-24-18 09:32 AM
    Mine is driving me nuts.

So I phoned Telus today.

They even admitted that it sounded fine, then sounded bad. She did something on her end, told me what to set my "preferred celluar network" type to (which is what I had it on).
    She said it then sounded better, and would call back in a couple of days to follow up.

She said it "could" be my sim card as well.

One thing worth noting is that just sitting in my house, my signal will show 4 or 5 bars, then just drop down to 3, even if I keep my phone perfectly still and in the same orientation......
    06-25-18 10:34 PM
    I have seen SIM changes fix this issue. it's not common but it can happen.
    chrispmoto likes this.
    06-25-18 10:40 PM