Well my youngest son has his first new cellphone a keyone. He knows no better so it's a good toy phone for him and will serve him in light duty task that he uses it for. Pac man or basic text to his middle school friends.
    09-04-17 07:55 PM
    By than I have another Samsung or LG product and BlackBerry will be a thing of the past by than when it comes to smartphones.
    Proof is in the pudding! BlackBerry is no more and outsourced to third parties who use older technology!
    What's old about it?

Once again, the 625 SoC is current (along with the almost identical 626), with the 630 just hitting the streets now.
    09-04-17 08:56 PM
    it may be that some users who are not experiencing lag and stutter have fairly lite installations. With over 4,500 contacts, I see lag in bbry contacts on the k1 where the same data set doesn't really blink on the Pixel. even some core Google Apps will lag a bit on the k1 where it's not perceptible on the pixel. K1 is still my daily driver, love the pkb, the lcd, battery life is stellar by today's standards. it's all a bit of a trade off.

I would love to have seen a K1 with an 80X chipset as an option, even a stepped down speed but with a little burst of power to handle bottle necks. Maybe Oreo will help, certainly sweetened up the Pixel.
    09-04-17 09:06 PM
    Well my youngest son has his first new cellphone a keyone. He knows no better so it's a good toy phone for him and will serve him in light duty task that he uses it for. Pac man or basic text to his middle school friends.
    Ok. Clearly you're being intentionally confrontational. We have no use for that here.
    09-04-17 09:06 PM
    Thanks for your reply -

1. Using nova launcher kills the shortcuts of the KEYBOARD. You still prefer using nova? I am also using it on my device from day 1 and love it.
    2. What kind of difference you felt after disabling BB apps on your device?
    3. How about using an APP to clean up the memory rather than doing it manually?
    4. I usually don't monitor RAM usage on my current device. Do you think it's necessary in the case of Keyone?

Keyone is costlier than V20 with lesser specs. You still think that you did the right thing by spending more for lesser specs?
    1. I considered trying the BB launcher, but I didn't like its inability to set the center screen as the default screen. I like having the most used apps in the center and the less used apps on the edge screens. I might still go back and try the BB launcher at some time in the future.
    2. Honestly, I can't say how much of a difference it made. I'm pretty committed to the Google app ecosystem (Gmail, Contacts, Messages, etc.), so I didn't have any interest in the BB alternatives.
    3. Sure, you could do that. I prefer to have direct control in case I want to close some apps, but keep some open in the background.
    4. Only if you're seeing a slowdown. If you're out of RAM, then that's probably the reason. If not, then something else is wrong....

I have both the V20 and the KEYone. I carry both and use the V20 as my audio player (because it has better music playback quality than any other phone, period) and the KEYone as my primary phone (because I like the physical keyboard).
    Aarav_thakur likes this.
    09-04-17 10:00 PM
    What's old about it?

Once again, the 625 SoC is current (along with the almost identical 626), with the 630 just hitting the streets now.
    Don't bother. The number is smaller so it must mean old and from 2014 .
    09-04-17 10:09 PM
    [LIST=1][*]I considered trying the BB launcher, but I didn't like its inability to set the center screen as the default screen. I like having the most used apps in the center and the less used apps on the edge screens. I might still go back and try the BB launcher at some time in the future.
    You can set any screen as your default home screen in the BlackBerry launcher. When you long press on any blank part of your home screen, it will show all your screens. Right above them is a little house icon, highlight on the house of whichever screen you want to be your home screen. That will do it.
    FF22 and zephyr613 like this.
    09-04-17 10:15 PM
    You can set any screen as your default home screen in the BlackBerry launcher. When you long press on any blank part of your home screen, it will show all your screens. Right above them is a little house icon, highlight on the house of whichever screen you want to be your home screen. That will do it.
    Cool, I'll give that a try.
    09-04-17 10:19 PM
    Manage your data cache properly (as with all Android devices), and there is no lag, and never will be.
    Is there a utility app that can automatically do that?

Posted via CB10
    09-04-17 10:24 PM
    Is there a utility app that can automatically do that?

Posted via CB10
    I'm not aware of one but even if there was, I don't think adding another App that would likely require to run in the background probably isn't a great idea when it simple to just go in settings once in a while and clear it.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    09-04-17 10:27 PM
    Disable BlackBerry services and use other launcher like Nova and it will be smooth always as my Priv is
    09-05-17 03:04 AM
    I bought the Keyone about a week ago and I am experiencing quite a bit of lag, especially with camera which often shows a black screen and in launching apps or moving data between apps. Rebooting and clearing the cache every few days seems to help but I didn't have to do this at all with the DTEK 60 so I am disappointed on this front. I am also not impressed with Blackberry launching a new slightly better spec model so soon. I wish they had launched that model for everyone in the first place. That aside, does anyone think the extra RAM will help with the lag? Thanks.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-05-17 05:06 AM
    have you turned on developer options and set to 0.5x , that should stop any lag

I have a dtek 60 to , keyone more than matches it , if you do above
    shezalex likes this.
    09-05-17 05:15 AM
    I do not notice any lag. But I am not a gamer and I probably reboot every week. that said my KEYone is not nearly as fast as my dtek60.
    So, you mean the dtek60 is way faster than the KeyOne?

Posted via CB10
    09-05-17 05:47 AM
    have you turned on developer options and set to 0.5x , that should stop any lag

I have a dtek 60 to , keyone more than matches it , if you do above
    I have just done so and it's great. So much faster. Thanks so much for your advice!
    09-05-17 06:24 AM
    Well I see a few spec warriors here that are adamant the KEYone is laggy (you know because the number are smaller). Well from personal experience since launch day and yes managing the cache once in a while, I can say I have not experienced lag at all. Not one bit. This is all subjective and its almost like people subconsciously see lag simply because they know the spec numbers. There has been videos posted where the KEYone keeps up and sometimes surpasses the S8.
    Declaring lag automatically simply because you see lower spec figures is absolutely inaccurate. Like I said, many including myself who have used the KEYone for some time do no have any issues. As for the Pixel, yes its a great device but to say no lag at all is also in accurate. A friend of mine hates his due to some apps including his camera app freezing consistently.
    This is android and the whole experience depends on everything else you have on your device. TO declare the lagiest in 2017 is just pure rubbish.
    This is exactly why this thread is a waste of time. Unused ram is wasted ram. Arguing with people that don't understand this.
    09-05-17 06:54 AM
    no problem 👍, also worth doing on your dtek60 but the difference is not as big

cheers
    shezalex likes this.
    09-05-17 06:54 AM
    By than I have another Samsung or LG product and BlackBerry will be a thing of the past by than when it comes to smartphones.
    Proof is in the pudding! BlackBerry is no more and outsourced to third parties who use older technology!
    Omg i have no words for your comment. It is so absurdly ignorant. BlackBerry chose processor and other components for the reason. The reason being the phone is for people who prefer longer battery over performance. Not everyone is into video games on the smartphone.
    duncan86 likes this.
    09-05-17 06:56 AM
    As I mentioned earlier - I clear it once a week or when it gets close to 1GB (whichever comes first).

Settings, storage, internal, cached data.
    These are the kind of functions the OS should handle, there is no way anyone but crackberry-type of dorks would go and do this weekly and not feel the product is flawed if this is what is required to have it operate correctly.

Still love this phone but really you guys are amazing at trying to justify basic flaws based the mere price of $500-$600 or mid-tier justifications. Most users just want it to work, it doesn't need to be a speed demon - just work without distraction.
    Barbareren likes this.
    09-05-17 07:09 AM
    These are the kind of functions the OS should handle, there is no way anyone but crackberry-type of dorks would go and do this weekly and not feel the product is flawed if this is what is required to have it operate correctly.

Still love this phone but really you guys are amazing at trying to justify basic flaws based the mere price of $500-$600 or mid-tier justifications. Most users just want it to work, it doesn't need to be a speed demon - just work without distraction.
    Maybe the OS should handle but not always the 625. Mid tier is a mid tier. If using a mid tier device as hard as flagship, you're going to have to do a few things extra sometimes to keep up the performance. Like a Camaro vs a Corvette.
    09-05-17 07:23 AM

This is not a Blackberry issue. This is an Android issue.

Like any cache, it can get unwieldy or corrupted. But it is very helpful until it's not.

This is why almost everyone makes the complaint that Android devices slow down over time. They really don't when the cache is managed properly.
    09-05-17 07:45 AM
    There's no denial that the device has a lag. And at times it can get bad.
    I guess over months I got used to it but it doesn't mean the refresh of apps isn't there.

For eg the other day I had a Live Chat session open waiting for my turn in the queue. I just minimised it and checked a message or two. When I returned to the browser it reloaded the page and I not only lost my number in the queue but also the form I filled before it.

I think the extra RAM will be helpful in my case however I don't expect miracles from it since the processor is a mediocre one.
    09-05-17 07:51 AM
    Setting the three animation speeds to 0.5x is the first thing I do on all Android devices.
    Heck, I just turned off animations. You should search the forum and YouTube for PRIV vs KeyOne, and you will see other's experience with lag and performance. The PRIV has LOTS of lag and poor performance (I have 170+ apps installed), but as per many users coming from the Android PRIV to the KeyOne, it seems to be MUCH better. If you turn on Developer options and remove animations, I gather it should have great performance.
    09-05-17 08:15 AM
    Yes you will experience lag. I manage my cache, turned off animation, etc. I'm a power user and there is definitely lag. I hope BB decides to make a flagship spec'd KEYone because I can care less about optimization for battery life. Just give me raw power. 😂 Even my S8 Active with a bigger battery won't last me a whole day. I'm just used to being around a charger of some sort for the way I use my devices.
    willyq711 and Aarav_thakur like this.
    09-05-17 08:16 AM
    it may be that some users who are not experiencing lag and stutter have fairly lite installations. With over 4,500 contacts, I see lag in bbry contacts on the k1 where the same data set doesn't really blink on the Pixel. even some core Google Apps will lag a bit on the k1 where it's not perceptible on the pixel. K1 is still my daily driver, love the pkb, the lcd, battery life is stellar by today's standards. it's all a bit of a trade off.

I would love to have seen a K1 with an 80X chipset as an option, even a stepped down speed but with a little burst of power to handle bottle necks. Maybe Oreo will help, certainly sweetened up the Pixel.
    Does your Pixel already have Oreo? Just asking since it seems to be performing so well. Does your Pixel have 3G's or 4G's of RAM?
    09-05-17 08:17 AM
126 ... 23456