I found the article/tutorial on how to set the convenience to open voice search, but that doesn't actually open Google Assistant itself. If you press-and-hold the home button (and assuming you have Google Assistant) it is different than if you just open the "Voice Search" app.

That said, has anyone been successful with this? I thought I saw Mr. Mobile do this in his KEYone review, but he never said how exactly he accomplished this.
    anon(10250369) likes this.
    05-31-17 03:48 PM
    You don't. Voice Search is the best you'll get I believe.
    05-31-17 06:29 PM
    Darn. I rechecked Mr. Mobile's video and I remembered incorrectly. He set his to voice search as well, not Assistant.

I hope something comes out on day that can allow us to do this. Saying "okay google" isn't always reliable for me.
    06-01-17 07:19 AM
    There is an app on xda forums called Google assistant launcher.

By installing it and setting it up as a shortcut, you'll be able to launch the assistant with a convenience key.
    knightfall likes this.
    06-01-17 08:04 AM
    Darn. I rechecked Mr. Mobile's video and I remembered incorrectly. He set his to voice search as well, not Assistant.

I hope something comes out on day that can allow us to do this. Saying "okay google" isn't always reliable for me.
    As Mr mobile said, the option to make it the lock button is there, but I want it to behave like the power button to wake the display too.
    06-01-17 08:04 AM
    Isn't the voice search the same thing as the assistant? I had the same question as you, but tried setting the convenience key to voice search anyway. Yet, if I make a command like "call so and so," it will pull up my contact information for that person and ask me which number to call, rather than making a Google search for those literal words. Hence, I believe the voice search is the assistant. At least to me, it functions as expected (the same way as pulling up Siri on an iOS device).
    06-01-17 09:38 AM
    There is an app on xda forums called Google assistant launcher.

By installing it and setting it up as a shortcut, you'll be able to launch the assistant with a convenience key.
    Oh wow! I'll check that out, thanks!
    06-01-17 11:11 AM
    As Mr mobile said, the option to make it the lock button is there, but I want it to behave like the power button to wake the display too.
    You can double the screen to sleep (from homescreen) and to wake too!
    06-01-17 11:12 AM
    Isn't the voice search the same thing as the assistant? I had the same question as you, but tried setting the convenience key to voice search anyway. Yet, if I make a command like "call so and so," it will pull up my contact information for that person and ask me which number to call, rather than making a Google search for those literal words. Hence, I believe the voice search is the assistant. At least to me, it functions as expected (the same way as pulling up Siri on an iOS device).
    No, they are different actually. I have WeMo and Philips Hue lighting. I cannot control my lighting via Voice Search (Google Now). It's confusing, I know. This is just an odd time as Google transitions everyone from Google Now to Assistant.
    anon(10250369) likes this.
    06-01-17 11:18 AM
    I found the article/tutorial on how to set the convenience to open voice search, but that doesn't actually open Google Assistant itself. If you press-and-hold the home button (and assuming you have Google Assistant) it is different than if you just open the "Voice Search" app.

That said, has anyone been successful with this? I thought I saw Mr. Mobile do this in his KEYone review, but he never said how exactly he accomplished this.
    On my Galaxy S7 you press and long hold the Home button. You might want to try that. Please let me and others know if it works.

Edit: it may be something baked in by Google since they authored the software.
    06-01-17 01:52 PM
    On my Galaxy S7 you press and long hold the Home button. You might want to try that. Please let me and others know if it works.

Edit: it may be something baked in by Google since they authored the software.
    Long pressing the home button does work, and that is how you can activate Assistant. I just like the thought of the convenience key since that should be quicker, even from screen-off state.
    06-01-17 01:59 PM
    Long pressing the home button does work, and that is how you can activate Assistant. I just like the thought of the convenience key since that should be quicker, even from screen-off state.
    So you are saying that the convenience key overrides the finger print scanner?

Having it on both seems kind of redundant to me but to each his own.
    06-01-17 02:05 PM
    No, they are different actually. I have WeMo and Philips Hue lighting. I cannot control my lighting via Voice Search (Google Now). It's confusing, I know. This is just an odd time as Google transitions everyone from Google Now to Assistant.
    Yes, I saw an article on the Google Assistant rollout now. The voice search seems pretty similar to Siri to me thus far, but I also haven't used any of the advanced personalization features, smart appliances, etc. that Google Assistant includes.
    06-01-17 02:10 PM
    Actually, the screen has to be on and if Google Assistant is activated then all you do is say "ok google".
    Attached Thumbnails How do I set my convenience key to open Google Assistant - Not Google Search-28738.jpg  
    06-01-17 02:11 PM
    So you are saying that the convenience key overrides the finger print scanner?
    I'd hoped it had, or in my case, my Android Wear device (a Moto 360) keeps my phone unlocked via Trusted Devices, so I thought that would be enough. However, it looks like my screen has to be on for it to work, so I think my thread just ended...

Having it on both seems kind of redundant to me but to each his own.
    With how often I use it, the press of the button just felt quicker than the long-press of the home button. That said, no, this isn't a big deal really.

Right now I have my key set to cycle through Silent/Vibrate/Sound on which works well too.
    06-01-17 02:56 PM
    Actually, the screen has to be on and if Google Assistant is activated then all you do is say "ok google".
    So I found out. I was used to my Nexus 6P where I can say the command, even with the screen off and not charging.
    06-01-17 02:57 PM