Hi all,

Just bought a flip case for my Keyone. I am having troubles figuring out a way to lock the device when I close the case. I have tried using 3rd party apps to do this using the sensor, and they work but with one very annoying flaw -- they all require administrator privileges. This means that every time I lock my device using the proximity sensor I have to type in my admin password rather than simply using my fingerprint. I have not found a way to disable admin privileges on the keyone (like you can on a Galaxy) nor have a found a 3rd party app that does not require admin privileges nor have I found any setting in the Blackberry android O.S. that allows me to flip closed.

Feeling stuck at this point. Would really appreciate any help, advice, suggestions, or just someone to tell me that I'm out of luck.

Thanks! Have a nice day.
    02-28-19 11:25 AM
    Hi all,

Just bought a flip case for my Keyone. I am having troubles figuring out a way to lock the device when I close the case. I have tried using 3rd party apps to do this using the sensor, and they work but with one very annoying flaw -- they all require administrator privileges. This means that every time I lock my device using the proximity sensor I have to type in my admin password rather than simply using my fingerprint. I have not found a way to disable admin privileges on the keyone (like you can on a Galaxy) nor have a found a 3rd party app that does not require admin privileges nor have I found any setting in the Blackberry android O.S. that allows me to flip closed.

Feeling stuck at this point. Would really appreciate any help, advice, suggestions, or just someone to tell me that I'm out of luck.

Thanks! Have a nice day.
    Have you just tried the Smart Cover option under Display?
    Though it is really for when you have a small window through the cover so that the clock can still display, it may also activate the feature you are looking for without a third-party app.

The behavior you're seeing is a secure lock that these third-party apps can access.
    Hi all,

Thanks! Have a nice day.
    Have you just tried the Smart Cover option under Display?
    Though it is really for when you have a small window through the cover so that the clock can still display, it may also activate the feature you are looking for without a third-party app.

The behavior you're seeing is a secure lock that these third-party apps can access.
    02-28-19 12:14 PM
    This function disappeared on my KeyOne with the update to Oreo and is back with the February update (ABP819). Look in settings>display-scroll down to the last line: "smart cover" . You don't need a third party app.
    02-28-19 12:37 PM
    If you are using the original flip case, there is no need for a third party app.
    02-28-19 12:37 PM
    Original poster here.

The case I bought is a leather flip case from Amazon. It is very nice, however, it is not a "smart" case. The smart cover display setting does not work with this case unfortunately. Would anyone perhaps know if I can turn this case into a smart case by placing a magnet or magnetic tape somewhere on the case? Where would I have to place the magnet? (or where is the magnet located on the phone itself)? I cannot seem to find any information on this elsewhere online. Any ideas? Thanks!!
    02-28-19 08:45 PM
    Mine is still running Nougat (not Oreo). I have the original flip case. The lock is dependent on the sleep timer setting under Display. The case adjusts to clock when I close the case and shows notifications when I receive them but does not lock when I close it. Agree that a nice feature would be to have it lock on close but in the interim have set the timer to 30 seconds.
    03-01-19 04:39 AM
    Original poster here.

The case I bought is a leather flip case from Amazon. It is very nice, however, it is not a "smart" case. The smart cover display setting does not work with this case unfortunately. Would anyone perhaps know if I can turn this case into a smart case by placing a magnet or magnetic tape somewhere on the case? Where would I have to place the magnet? (or where is the magnet located on the phone itself)? I cannot seem to find any information on this elsewhere online. Any ideas? Thanks!!
    I had it more or less working with my flip case and there is some history around here: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb.../#post13063456
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    03-02-19 11:33 AM