Is there any way to downgrade google maps on the KeyOne?

I hate google maps v11, they are always suggesting unnecessary things that take up maps real estate, especially with the cramped keyone screen. For instance, every time I open up the app, it insists on showing this menu of "latest in the area" with random pictures from other people I have no need for.
    Then when navigating to a location, it takes up the top 1/3 and bottom 1/3 of the map to show me pictures and advertisements and unnecessary information, leaving only the middle 1/3rd of the screen actually showing a map.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this abomination of a """maps""" app?
    11-27-21 10:02 PM

I hate google maps v11, they are always suggesting unnecessary things that take up maps real estate, especially with the cramped keyone screen. For instance, every time I open up the app, it insists on showing this menu of "latest in the area" with random pictures from other people I have no need for.
    Then when navigating to a location, it takes up the top 1/3 and bottom 1/3 of the map to show me pictures and advertisements and unnecessary information, leaving only the middle 1/3rd of the screen actually showing a map.

Delete what you have, and get an older version from apkmirror.
    11-27-21 10:05 PM
    Delete what you have, and get an older version from apkmirror.
    Any suggestions on how to delete the google maps app on a keyone?
    If I go on App info, all it shows me if the option to "DISABLE" or "FORCE STOP" google maps. No option for "UNINSTALL", like with every other app
    11-27-21 10:07 PM
    If I go on App info, all it shows me if the option to "DISABLE" or "FORCE STOP" google maps. No option for "UNINSTALL", like with every other app
    Disable.
    11-27-21 10:13 PM

Tap once on the map and it will enter full screen.
    11-28-21 08:41 AM
    Disable.
    I wish it were that simple. Disabling it works fine.
    The problem is when I try to install an older version (e.g. v6.14 or v9.12). I can get as far as the permissions screen, but after that I get this prompt, followed by a failure to install that app

How do i DOWNGRADE google maps?-screenshot_20211128-093941.jpg
    How do i DOWNGRADE google maps?-screenshot_20211128-093949.jpg

Tap once on the map and it will enter full screen.
    Yes, that works once. But when it needs to be done EACH time the screen goes black, or I lock/unlock the phone, it becomes very frustrating, and even dangerous, especially when driving since it distracts and takes that much more effort to get to the actual map
    11-28-21 09:51 AM

While I do get a list of various places when I first open Maps, it's never popped up any kind of "latest in the area" while using it during actual navigation. Or even while just in driving mode without a set destination.

The only pop-ups I ever see are for unexpected delays along my route if any when there is a destination.
    11-28-21 11:52 AM
    The problem is when I try to install an older version (e.g. v6.14 or v9.12). I can get as far as the permissions screen, but after that I get this prompt, followed by a failure to install that app

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211128-093941.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	451316

Name:	Screenshot_20211128-093949.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	451317

Yes, that works once. But when it needs to be done EACH time the screen goes black, or I lock/unlock the phone, it becomes very frustrating, and even dangerous, especially when driving since it distracts and takes that much more effort to get to the actual map
    You have to make sure the apk you're using is fairly recent, and that it is exactly the same variant.
    11-28-21 12:19 PM

Name:	Screenshot_20211128-093941.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	451316

Name:	Screenshot_20211128-093949.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	451317

This is part of the productivity loss when using older devices of any brand for any reason. Most if not all mainstream apps have been optimized for larger 5+" VKB at this point. The 4.5" KEYone screen was still common in 2017 on VKB devices.
    11-28-21 01:24 PM
    In the top right there should be the 3 dot menu. Click it and select "Uninstall updates"

This will return Google Maps to the version that came with the latest OS update. You wont be able to install a version of Google Maps older than this version.

Like Conite said, you can find the version you want from apkmirror. Just make sure it's newer than the version installed.
    11-28-21 09:22 PM
    Have you considered other maps apps?

Most of my use of maps involves driving, and I much prefer Waze to Google Maps for that.
    I have a family member who likes the Mapquest app, and it seemed fine in my experience.
    11-30-21 06:49 AM
    Better try magic earth. Works perfect on apriv and on a keyone

Posted via CB10
    12-02-21 05:16 PM