Home CrackBerry Q&A > BlackBerry KEYone

How do I create two different workspaces? (private and business)

Asked: Apr 09 2019 | 9:40 am EDT 1301 Views 20 Answers View Best Answer

how to create two different workspaces (private and business) with BB Key2 for protecting business informations like emails or contacts from apps like Whatsapp?

I wish to have a workspace with private contacts and a separate workspace with business contacts only.

Best Answer

Apr 09 2019 | 11:06 am EDT conite

That was an AWESOME feature of BB10 and other BlackBerrys, BUT I don't think it's available in the Key devices.
Wasn't it only a feature for BB10 devices using the BlackBerry EMM...which is still an option for their Key devices using their EMM. Don't think you could do it as just a consumer on BB10 either without their mobile device management. At least that's what I recall.
It's still available today - you just need an EMM to use it.

Alternatively, you can set up "Island" from Play Store and it will give the consumer two work spaces.

More Answers

Apr 09 2019 | 10:21 am EDT pkcable

That was an AWESOME feature of BB10 and other BlackBerrys, BUT I don't think it's available in the Key devices.
Apr 09 2019 | 10:24 am EDT ray689

Wasn't it only a feature for BB10 devices using the BlackBerry EMM...which is still an option for their Key devices using their EMM. Don't think you could do it as just a consumer on BB10 either without their mobile device management. At least that's what I recall.
Apr 09 2019 | 3:39 pm EDT ray689

It's still available today - you just need an EMM to use it.

Alternatively, you can set up "Island" from Play Store and it will give the consumer two work spaces.
That's what is as saying. It wasn't a "feature" of BB10 but a feature of BlackBerry's device management software.
Apr 09 2019 | 3:46 pm EDT Dunt Dunt Dunt

That's what is as saying. It wasn't a "feature" of BB10 but a feature of BlackBerry's device management software.
Was a big feature for BB10... BlackBerry made a big deal about it. I think they expected more people to stick with their EMM offerings than did. It was one reason I signed up for the Cloud Beta...

But today Android for Work offers the same compartmentalization...
Apr 09 2019 | 4:12 pm EDT ray689

Was a big feature for BB10... BlackBerry made a big deal about it. I think they expected more people to stick with their EMM offerings than did. It was one reason I signed up for the Cloud Beta...

I think you misread what I meant. It was still something only available with their EMM offering and not necessarily a BB10 feature in itself. Just at the time, their EMM was only used on BB10 devices and now that its cross platform, this feature is available for all through the EMM.
Apr 09 2019 | 4:13 pm EDT conite

Ya. The second part of my post regarding Island was for you. It's very cool. I have my vpn running on one side at all times.
Apr 09 2019 | 4:14 pm EDT ray689

Ya. The second part of my post regarding Island was for you. It's very cool. I have my vpn running on one side at all times.
Interesting. Will check it out. Is a vpn required or that's just how you happen to have it set up?
Apr 09 2019 | 4:15 pm EDT conite

Interesting. Will check it out. Is a vpn required or that's just how you happen to have it set up?
No, no. It's just how I have it.
Apr 09 2019 | 4:16 pm EDT ray689

No, no. It's just how I have it.
Okay. Thanks
Apr 10 2019 | 4:07 am EDT janpr

is Android for Work already installed on BB Key2?
How can I purchase android for work?

Is Android for work as secure as EEM?
Apr 10 2019 | 6:36 am EDT conite

is Android for Work already installed on BB Key2?
How can I purchase android for work?

Is Android for work as secure as EEM?
Android for Work is engaged/managed by an EMM solution.
Apr 10 2019 | 6:58 am EDT Emaderton3

I am experiencing this for the first time. It isn't as nice as BB10. Your apps basically show up in a separate section on the bottom when you open up the app tray. A "work" icon appears at the top of your phone when you open one of the apps. I also feel like my battery is draining faster now. My EMM doesn't recognize any of the BlackBerry apps, so I can't use my Contacts, Tasks, etc on both sides which sucks.
Apr 10 2019 | 7:35 am EDT conite

I am experiencing this for the first time. It isn't as nice as BB10. Your apps basically show up in a separate section on the bottom when you open up the app tray. A "work" icon appears at the top of your phone when you open one of the apps. I also feel like my battery is draining faster now. My EMM doesn't recognize any of the BlackBerry apps, so I can't use my Contacts, Tasks, etc on both sides which sucks.
You have to reinstall them on the other side, along with HUB+ Services - provided your EMM allows it.
Apr 10 2019 | 7:44 am EDT Chuck Finley69

It’s for when he’s in Cuba using his James Bond alter ego...
Apr 10 2019 | 7:49 am EDT Emaderton3

You have to reinstall them on the other side, along with HUB+ Services - provided your EMM allows it.
It doesn't allow Hub+ Services. I have asked but got no response. Oddly, BlackBerry Contacts showed up by itself in the work space, but it is useless until they allow Hub+ Services.
Apr 10 2019 | 5:22 pm EDT chetmanley

Would creating a second user on the device accomplish this? Put whatsapp into the other user profile with a separate contact list?
Apr 11 2019 | 8:49 am EDT Dunt Dunt Dunt

Would creating a second user on the device accomplish this? Put whatsapp into the other user profile with a separate contact list?
No it's designed to work with an EMM... which many corporate emails systems have to one degree or another.

Google and Microsoft offer email hosting that includes basic EMM features (or advance if you want to pay more)... if you really wanted this. Think you can get it for as little as $4 - $5 a month along with a cloud email account.
Apr 11 2019 | 10:15 am EDT chetmanley

No it's designed to work with an EMM... which many corporate emails systems have to one degree or another.

Google and Microsoft offer email hosting that includes basic EMM features (or advance if you want to pay more)... if you really wanted this. Think you can get it for as little as $4 - $5 a month along with a cloud email account.
I'm wondering if an EMM is required for this scenario. It sounds like the OP just wants a method for keeping apps like whatsapp from accessing a particular contact list.

One way to do this would be to create two user profiles on the device using the built in android functionality. Each profile uses separate contact lists.
Apr 11 2019 | 12:53 pm EDT Emaderton3

I'm wondering if an EMM is required for this scenario. It sounds like the OP just wants a method for keeping apps like whatsapp from accessing a particular contact list.

One way to do this would be to create two user profiles on the device using the built in android functionality. Each profile uses separate contact lists.
Is it possible to use two different contact apps and have one just sync with Whatsapp?