This is actually low.. 91%... usually it's around 97%... I understand the key1 only has 3gb ram... so how do I conserve memory... when it's around the 97% mark, it's INCREDIBLY laggy!

Any tips would be appreciated
    10-07-17 05:32 PM
    The closer to 100% the better
    mbirth likes this.
    10-07-17 05:49 PM
    Get a black edition with 4GB?
    10-07-17 05:50 PM
    The closer to 100% the better
    Explain??
    10-07-17 05:54 PM
    Get a black edition with 4GB?
    I'm actually considering it alot. That 1gb could make a world of difference
    10-07-17 05:54 PM
    Well... more specifically in the case of our phone... you could just cram 8GB in everything and never worry about it...

You don't want to clear ram all the time on android.. You want the ram providing data to the cpu...
    10-07-17 05:57 PM
    RAM memory is designed to be used. So it’s normal that usage is high. Now laggy device may be another issue... maybe one of your app isn’t well designed and is leaking memory.

So no matter how often to reboot your device or clear memory, as long as you’re running that app, you’ll have to constantly reboot.
    mbirth likes this.
    10-07-17 06:09 PM
    RAM memory is designed to be used. So it’s normal that usage is high. Now laggy device may be another issue... maybe one of your app isn’t well designed and is leaking memory.

So no matter how often to reboot your device or clear memory, as long as you’re running that app, you’ll have to constantly reboot.
    Is there any real way to figure out what app that may be? I'd hate to have to do a factory reset over it.. :/
    10-07-17 06:29 PM
    everyone who keeps saying android wants to use 100 percent ram is nuts. I have a 4GB model and my ram with minimal apps hits 3.2gb after 2 days on. its mainly android system and all the bb apps (keyboard is up to 300mb!)
    android + bb app + a few other apps running wants more than 3GB of ram. I havent had one stutter or app refresh yet and im running 2x the open apps than I ever did on my priv
    10-07-17 07:09 PM
    everyone who keeps saying android wants to use 100 percent ram is nuts. I have a 4GB model and my ram with minimal apps hits 3.2gb after 2 days on. its mainly android system and all the bb apps (keyboard is up to 300mb!)
    android + bb app + a few other apps running wants more than 3GB of ram. I havent had one stutter or app refresh yet and im running 2x the open apps than I ever did on my priv
    No... Android doesn't want to use 100%... But they can't throw in 8gb in every phone... More ram would be good but it's not a bad thing when a 3gb ram phone has close to 100%
    10-07-17 08:25 PM
    No not 8gb, but 3gb is not great with all the bb apps running. I had a 3gb priv, I know.
    I just did an experiment and oppened about 10 big apps like google maps, waze, flipboard etc and my ram usage went to 3.5gb. Could never had done this on the priv. No app refreshes at all.
    10-07-17 08:30 PM

Check this video. Very informative on how Android (and iOS) is much more efficient by using the maximum about of RAM possible.

It also explains why iOS devices has so little RAM compared to Android... basically some secret RAM management process... Which makes iOS so good at multitasking
    10-07-17 08:40 PM
    I have been experiencing exactly the same as you.
    A few days ago I performed a factory reset and noticed no improvement after all apps reinstalled.

I decided to start culling some apps starting with Facebook, Blackberry launcher swapped out for Nova and yesterday unable the swipe left mail/task quick overview.

The phone seems snappier and the next app on my radar is the hub. I will change out the hub for Nine mail.

It's a real shame I am having to make sacrifices on apps and remove functionality just to help the phone function.

The people with no lag issues how are you running your phones? Few apps and just the Blackberry core apps?
    My phone is for business and personal. My experience is that this phone struggles in my situation.
    10-08-17 01:32 AM
    Enable developer options by tapping on your build number multiple times. Then in developer options, click Running services. Each app running in the background will be listed, along with its memory usage.

Find the apps using a lot of memory and either delete them or set them to be "optimised" (i.e. not run in the background) in the Apps settings panel.

You'll be surprised how many silly apps (like parking, weather & news) feel the need to run constantly, each occupying 20-100mb of RAM and making your phone lag.
    scott8629, fop518, FF22 and 1 others like this.
    10-08-17 03:27 AM
    its so ridiculous. every dumb android app wants to stay memory resident for no reason. I guess for notifications you dont want.

I really think u need 4gb of ram to run android and the bb apps well. im at 4 days uptime and my keyone is now sitting at 3.5gb ram usage. bb keyboard is up to 450mb of ram usage! im guessing there is a memory leak happening
    10-08-17 08:27 AM
    BB hub disabled and Nine for email installed. I'll keep you all posted on the performance.
    wavemobile likes this.
    10-08-17 01:11 PM
    I don't know about your experience but on my k1 even if I have like 700 MB of RAM free, the recently opened apps keep refreshing and are not staying in memory

and I am talking about 5 or 6 apps at one time
    10-08-17 06:10 PM
    Use all-in-one Toolbox daily and you won't have any problem of memory.
    10-09-17 04:25 AM
    What does culling mean?

Posted via CB10
    10-09-17 01:42 PM
    To get rid of what you don't need (or need least).
    scott8629 likes this.
    10-09-17 01:54 PM
    What does culling mean?

Posted via CB10
    Selective slaughtering.

It is a word often used in the management of animal populations in some countries. I.e. in some African countries Elephant herds go through culling, to control population size.
    10-09-17 04:28 PM
    Find the apps using a lot of memory and either delete them or set them to be "optimised" (i.e. not run in the background) in the Apps settings panel.
    I know that Samsung does this, but do BlackBerry's ROMs have this option?
    10-09-17 04:50 PM
    No not 8gb, but 3gb is not great with all the bb apps running. I had a 3gb priv, I know.
    I just did an experiment and oppened about 10 big apps like google maps, waze, flipboard etc and my ram usage went to 3.5gb. Could never had done this on the priv. No app refreshes at all.
    The Priv is not a good measuring stick. The KEYone has 3 gig and runs circles around the Priv (I went from Priv to KEYone). The processor in the Priv is bad. The RAM is not the issue in my opinion.
    10-09-17 05:40 PM
    BB hub disabled and Nine for email installed. I'll keep you all posted on the performance.
    I have reinstalled Blackberry services as I missed the search device function.

It seems to be still smooth with the occasional stutter.
    Im not using the hub for anything, mail is handled by Nine and other apps eg what's app are notifying in the OEM manner.

I hope the software boffins are working on some optimisation as in my case there seems much room for improvement.
    10-09-17 10:53 PM
    Question:

Is there any way to tell Android "Do not kill this app under any circumstance!"?

Basically, can I purposely cause some apps to stay in the device's RAM regardless of the demands of other apps? If that's impossible to do directly, is there an app that can do it?

I prefer the system to tell me "you are running low on RAM, please close apps in order to free memory" rather than arbitrarily control this process without my consent.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-10-17 09:19 PM
29 12