Hello!

I am attempting to connect my Android-based Blackberry Keyone Smartphone to ethernet, so I can use a wired LAN connection rtaher than wireless. I bought a Plugable USBC-E1000, which connects a USB-C to an RJ45 Ethernet port, thinking it was the correct one but I cannot get the phone to recognize it. The amber and green lights are blinking when connected, however.

Is there a different product which will do this?
    Is there some configuration that is required?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by milkphish; 04-05-19 at 04:08 PM.
    04-05-19 01:11 PM
    I am suggesting you may need an OTG app that allows enabling that feature... I see it shown in settings, for example, in MIXplorer free from XDA ...
    Last edited by RLeeSimon; 04-08-19 at 01:46 PM.
    04-05-19 02:57 PM
    it doesn't detect the ethernet, BlackBerry limits that option.
    04-05-19 03:36 PM
    I was unaware...

I've seen some who use the USB-c for HDMI, and I long back used an OTG dongle to a memory stick...

Why is that restriction imposed, and is it BlackBerry or Google?
    04-05-19 03:54 PM
    04-05-19 03:59 PM
    Really?! Is this specified somewhere? But, there is a “USB tethering” option in the Settings menu. Is this only for connecting the KeyOne to a computer and then creating a network from that?

I really thought it was possible to connect the KeyOne to ethernet?!
    04-05-19 04:06 PM
    04-05-19 04:09 PM
    But, there is a “USB tethering” option in the Settings menu. Is this only for connecting the KeyOne to a computer and then creating a network from that?
    Yes.
    04-05-19 05:25 PM
    Does this work for real?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    04-05-19 06:38 PM
    Does this work for real?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    I have absolutely no idea ??? They list it with specific menrtion of KEYᵒⁿᵉ so I guess they have some reason... contacting them might get you an answer... the other ebay one just lists it in general...
    Last edited by RLeeSimon; 04-06-19 at 12:35 PM.
    04-05-19 10:14 PM
    why would you need to do that?
    Sime0n_S likes this.
    04-06-19 03:48 AM
    with the right adapter yes, but like everyone else, why?
    04-07-19 12:08 PM
    why would you need to do that?
    I can't imagine many needs for this either. Perhaps in a place that has wired internet access only, no wifi. This was more common quite a few years ago in hotels and such but most of them now are the other way around (ie: included wifi but no wired access anymore). Maybe also for some places that have poor wifi signals in certain areas but still wired access. Maybe also as a troubleshooting or exploratory tool set (ie: different networking apps/tools on the phone) for wired networks.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    04-07-19 12:57 PM
    Well, the thing is, memory sticks all follow a USB standard; "HID" (human interface devices -- keyboards and mice) all follow a USB standard. But there is no standard for USB to Ethernet (more or less...); the USB-C connector and basic USB protocol is of course standardized, but there are then a variety of USB to Ethernet chips that each requires it's own drivers. Linux includes a plethora of these drivers, and any given Android device, whoever built the Linux kernel for it turns on or off support for various devices. It really varies a lot, some phones have support for almost every chip on the market, some a handful, and perhaps a few support none.

USB cameras used to be like this; there was a USB camera standard but many webcams etc. did not follow it. Around Windows 7 timeframe, Microsoft got sick of it and said they would no longer allow non-standard cameras to claim they were Windows compatible (even if they included a camera driver.) Actually there are several USB to ethernet "standards" too, but Microsoft or whoever never leaned on them to actually follow a standard like they did for webcams, so having a "standard" driver just lets it support a handful of chips instead of one.
    rolfep likes this.
    04-07-19 02:07 PM
    I have absolutely no idea ??? They list it with specific menrtion of KEYᵒⁿᵉ so I guess they have some reason... contacting them might get you an answer... the other ebay one just lists it in general...
    Probably auto-generated based on search terms. That site looks super sketchy.
    04-08-19 10:33 AM
    Well, the thing is, memory sticks all follow a USB standard; "HID" (human interface devices -- keyboards and mice) all follow a USB standard. But there is no standard for USB to Ethernet (more or less...); the USB-C connector and basic USB protocol is of course standardized, but there are then a variety of USB to Ethernet chips that each requires it's own drivers. Linux includes a plethora of these drivers, and any given Android device, whoever built the Linux kernel for it turns on or off support for various devices. It really varies a lot, some phones have support for almost every chip on the market, some a handful, and perhaps a few support none.
    Thanks for your explanation. That clears up a lot. This adapter plug actually came with a small CD with drivers on it, but I’m not sure how to install them on the phone. I think the drivers are actually for a computer and are intended to be installed that way, rather than to the phone.

Perhaps then, it is not possible to connect an Ethernet cable to the BB Keyone.

???
    04-10-19 11:48 AM
    The manufacturer called “plugable,” also has a download page, but I’m not sure which is the correct driver to download for the Android-based Keyone? Any ideas?

Here is the link:

https://plugable.com/drivers/usb3ethernet
    04-10-19 12:40 PM
    The manufacturer called “plugable,” also has a download page, but I’m not sure which is the correct driver to download for the Android-based Keyone? Any ideas?

Here is the link:

https://plugable.com/drivers/usb3ethernet
    It would seem that there are no Android drivers for this adapter. You are most likely out of luck.
    04-10-19 03:13 PM
    What about BlackBerry 10 (Passport)? If such an adapter is obtained usb-c to ethernet, would the Passport need an OTG adapter in between and also a microusb- to usb-c to hook it up, or is the otg not needed?
    05-09-19 01:33 PM
    so is this a dead issue, or is there a work-around, software, other? do these adapter dongles function as OCR or does it also require an OCR adapter in between? or is it not feasible at all? seems to work on other androids & more stuff...
    Last edited by RLeeSimon; 05-09-19 at 02:54 PM.
    05-09-19 02:13 PM
    I was curious so I bought this...

http://www.ylmart.com/blackberry-key...k-adapter.html

plugged it in, nothing...

contacted them and they replied:

1. needs OTG (didn't say if soft or hardware)

***I have MIXplorer installed with OTG enabled

2. I can mail it back for full refund

***sure, to China, right ...cost, will it ever arrive?

so, I have every adapter known to mankind, but have failed to find an OTG usb-c male to usb-c female gender changer to plug it inbetween this thing and the phone...

grrr !!
    05-11-19 10:14 AM
    Very simply, unless BB's build of Android contains drivers for the LAN chipset in your adapter (and it's likely that they contain zero LAN chipset drivers), then nothing you do is going to make it work. While it's certainly possible for manufacturers to support such a feature, it's one almost no one would ever want or care about, and manufacturers tend not to complicate their builds and their testing with extra stuff that isn't ever going to be used.
    05-11-19 09:13 PM
    awesome thread this...
    05-22-19 03:27 PM
    Hello!
    I am attempting to connect my Android-based Blackberry Keyone Smartphone to ethernet, so I can use a wired LAN connection rtaher than wireless.
    Is there a different product which will do this?
    Not exactly an answer to your question but may solve your problem: you can buy travel WiFi routers and configure them as access points (e.g. this or my favorite, this) . Once your device associates to them then you're essentially on the LAN.
    I find these pretty useful to have in general. Many use cases (range extension, etc)
    05-23-19 03:52 PM