Whenever I go into settings and under storage I check 'memory', it always shows above 2GB being used. I know the phone has only 3GB, from which only 2.8 is actually usable. Apps open quick, but I notice some lags on the homescreen such as it takes ONE FULL SECOND for the app drawer to open when I click it.

I have noticed that every time I restart the phone is back to being fast. But I don't want to do that every day. How to clear up RAM usage?
    Attached Thumbnails How to clear up RAM?-894.jpg  
    06-05-17 01:43 PM
    Android tries to use all available ram, dynamically balancing with the need to leave some ram for new apps/processes. Manual intervention is time consuming and ultimately self-defeating as it will take more battery unless you have a rogue app. Are you on the AAL build yet? This solves the slowness issues for most users.
    ShredRex5150 likes this.
    06-05-17 01:51 PM
    Android manages RAM differently from any other major OS that you could be used to. Do not worry about the amount of RAM that is being used as it will always be near max.

Essentially, when you open an app Android will load it into RAM so it will load and resume faster. When you open another app, the process repeats until the RAM is near full. When you open yet another app, it kicks the oldest app(s) in memory until there's enough space for the new app. You will notice this when you try to resume an app near the back/top of the recent list, and it has to reload the app.

All you're doing when you "Clear the memory" is making your phone work harder and seem slower. Don't clear the RAM. Android does it itself.
    ShredRex5150 and FF22 like this.
    06-05-17 01:53 PM
    Yes, I am on the AAL build! And thanks for the reply guys, I won't try to clear memory using any kind of app. But is the full one second respond time from clicking the app drawer? It doesn't do that when I restart the phone but during the day it gets annoying when it acts up like that.
    06-05-17 02:29 PM
    Yes, I am on the AAL build! And thanks for the reply guys, I won't try to clear memory using any kind of app. But is the full one second respond time from clicking the app drawer? It doesn't do that when I restart the phone but during the day it gets annoying when it acts up like that.
    Try doing a factory reset. Usually if you run into slowness after an update, doing this will help clear up any leftover "residue" from the previous software version.

I'm personally not having that long of a wait, but it definitely doesn't open the app drawer instantly.
    06-05-17 02:34 PM
    Whenever I go into settings and under storage I check 'memory', it always shows above 2GB being used. I know the phone has only 3GB, from which only 2.8 is actually usable. Apps open quick, but I notice some lags on the homescreen such as it takes ONE FULL SECOND for the app drawer to open when I click it.

I have noticed that every time I restart the phone is back to being fast. But I don't want to do that every day. How to clear up RAM usage?
    the lag in the app drawer is actually a known BlackBerry Launcher bug. There is some sort of memory leak which is why rebooting it fixes the issue.

Be sure to send an email to BB

Clearing up ram is actually a bad idea for the most part as unused memory is wasted memory.. read up on the android app killers and you will find the same thing.. app killers are a waste of resources.
    06-05-17 03:39 PM
    Can someone verify if any other launcher faces any sort of lag or slowdowns?
    06-05-17 03:41 PM
    You're right, there's noticeable difference when you reboot the phone. I understand how Android works but practical experience suggests otherwise.

I am against app killers and RAM clearing apps. I just reboot the device first thing in the morning for now till there's an improvement in the build. It takes less than a minute for a reboot.

Another thing I notice that the phone gets slower (not unusable slower) when Hub is used. When I disable this app, the phone runs smoother over longer period.

BTW I have used Nova Launcher and there's also an improvement you will notice over the BlackBerry Launcher but then I like keyboard shortcuts and perks that are absent in Nova.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-05-17 04:01 PM
    I have installed Nova launcher and now I do not experience any sort of lag at all, and I have the Hub and Productivity Tab active. I really hope BlackBerry updates their launcher soon to be suited for KEYone because it really is a nice launcher.
    dollface likes this.
    06-06-17 02:43 AM
    I have the same lag on the priv. Don't know of any way to resolve it
    06-06-17 03:00 AM
    Buy more ram? 😂
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    06-06-17 03:17 AM
    Buy more ram? 😂
    Pfft.....why buy when you can just download?

http://downloadmoreram.com

😁😁😂
    Uzi likes this.
    06-06-17 03:34 AM
    Can someone verify if any other launcher faces any sort of lag or slowdowns?
    I personally found the Google launcher was much quicker, but you lose keyboard shortcuts by switching to it. As BB updates things system performance will get better. The memory leak is a known issue.
    06-06-17 05:35 AM
    Unused ram is wasted ram, and android does a good job of freeing up memory when it needs more.
    06-06-17 07:07 AM
    Unused ram is wasted ram, and android does a good job of freeing up memory when it needs more.
    Android is a terrible OS with so many lag problems never being solved.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-17 07:35 AM
    I have installed Nova launcher and now I do not experience any sort of lag at all, and I have the Hub and Productivity Tab active. I really hope BlackBerry updates their launcher soon to be suited for KEYone because it really is a nice launcher.
    Wow I just switched to Nova as well on the priv and the phone just feels much faster all of a sudden. Haven't lost any functions either, except maybe keyboard shortcuts which I never use.
    For some reason I thought using a different launcher would make me lose the quick action swipes from the home button but I didn't. Thanks for the tip
    06-06-17 11:41 AM
    Wow I just switched to Nova as well on the priv and the phone just feels much faster all of a sudden. Haven't lost any functions either, except maybe keyboard shortcuts which I never use.
    For some reason I thought using a different launcher would make me lose the quick action swipes from the home button but I didn't. Thanks for the tip
    Yup! As many of us said. The lag is a known issue with BlackBerry Launcher. Rebooting or using another launcher will solve the lag.
    06-06-17 01:39 PM
    Indeed, my concern was losing the swipe shortcuts but actually I can't find any missing functionality. Great stuff. Even universal search still launches upon typing
    06-06-17 01:45 PM
    I was going to say this same thing. Android does a pretty good job of managing that on its own. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you have too much unused, that isn't good either.
    06-06-17 01:52 PM
    Alain Grange has a launcher that uses short cut in the Android store
    06-06-17 02:10 PM
    Pfft.....why buy when you can just download?

http://downloadmoreram.com

������������������
    Can you please discuss this? How much does adding more ram by download cost? How effective is it? Will it transport for free from keyone A to keyone B oif you do a warranty replacement? How much better does the device function w more ram?
    10-15-17 12:41 AM
    If you download Nova, do u have to unistall the existing launcher, or does it override it?
    10-15-17 12:42 AM
    If you download Nova, do u have to unistall the existing launcher, or does it override it?
    You don't have uninstall any other launchers, just make Nova the default launcher.
    10-15-17 02:11 AM
    OK, I am using Nova. I presume it just becomes dominant and Blackberry Launcher becomes turned off/silenced?

the round circle "home" button doesn't take me to first page of my multiple home screens like it used to.

I spend time customizing that home page and sometimes loading as many as four Apps in a box for the very reason of pushing the round circle and then quickly accessing these apps or shortcuts.

is there a way to get Nova to do the same place or does it function differently? besides being faster that bbery launcher, how else is Nova different from a usability and features perspective?

also, Nova is free. How does it make money? I don't want ads.
    10-15-17 02:27 AM
    With Nova, all the bottom icons are different. I've lost the Hub and Google as bottom icons. these are impt quick access must haves.
    10-15-17 02:34 AM
33 12