Many weeks ago, battery went dead while I was asleep and I charged up the device the next morning. As part of the security to complete the power up cycle, it asks for the PIN code. I used the code I set and had just used the day before and it says its incorrect. I do not want to reset the entire device and am on 5 of the 10 attempts before it happens. Anyone have thoughts or experience with this issue happening? When I power down it has 3 options --- power off, restart, and take bug report (7.1.1 (NMF26F)

I do not want to factory reset, and essentially erase all data and apps, just to get past this. I do know the PIN code is correct and the most current and valid one - as it worked the day before to unlock the screen.

Additional info --- this actually happened back in Mid October. (2020 is quite the year to remember......sigh) I'm using a BB KeyOne and it is on AT&T for service. CPU - Octa-core 64bit, Snapdragon 625 and OS Android 7.1 Nougat (both of these are off the box - can't recall any details of patching or updating unfortunately. Had device for years with no issues....til this one.....til 2020, the year that wasn't. Been on numerous sites looking for similar situations and things to try - no luck. Anyone else experience this or something similar? Used as my work device and really, really do not want to factory/hard reset and lose everything!
    Last edited by MsAlli; 11-24-20 at 01:38 PM.
    11-24-20 01:24 PM
    Many weeks ago, battery went dead while I was asleep and I charged up the device the next morning. As part of the security to complete the power up cycle, it asks for the PIN code. I used the code I set and had just used the day before and it says its incorrect. I do not want to reset the entire device and am on 5 of the 10 attempts before it happens. Anyone have thoughts or experience with this issue happening? When I power down it has 3 options --- power off, restart, and take bug report (7.1.1 (NMF26F)

I do not want to factory reset, and essentially erase all data and apps, just to get past this. I do know the PIN code is correct and the most current and valid one - as it worked the day before to unlock the screen.

Additional info --- this actually happened back in Mid October. (2020 is quite the year to remember......sigh) I'm using a BB KeyOne and it is on AT&T for service. CPU - Octa-core 64bit, Snapdragon 625 and OS Android 7.1 Nougat (both of these are off the box - can't recall any details of patching or updating unfortunately. Had device for years with no issues....til this one.....til 2020, the year that wasn't. Been on numerous sites looking for similar situations and things to try - no luck. Anyone else experience this or something similar? Used as my work device and really, really do not want to factory/hard reset and lose everything!
    There is no way around it. Remember by 10 tries or it will factory reset.
    11-24-20 02:24 PM
    Might try the Find My Phone option....

Samsung has a change the PIN option in theirs, not sure if Google (used with BlackBerry's phones and most other Android) does or not.

I'd power it off for a while and come back and see if your PIN works. Iif you might have used another PIN in the past, try it as well.

But most likely a full reset is in your future.
    11-24-20 02:29 PM
    Thank you for your reply!! Will look into Google acct having access to the device and its PIN and lock. However, not sure I have ever seen that with a BB and not sure it would even work as at this point the OS hasn't even booted. It wants the PIN to complete that. But thinking more.......is it possible that I never rebooted this device since the last time I had to change the PIN and therefore, the recent PIN I had for screen unlocks (which should be the same for the post rebooting security screen) that the most recent PIN didn't sync for this post reboot option?? Could a patch or update been lurking and only applied after this reboot? a bug in whatever those files or changes were caused this issue?? I have not seen that on the webs to confirm but just more thoughts and hail mary's before I end up on a 10th attempt and the whole thing resets itself as a blank, clean slate......
    11-24-20 03:38 PM
    See if you can access via google account. But beyond that, as Conite mentioned, a reset is in your future if you cannot remember. Its unfortunate..
    11-28-20 03:18 PM