Cause the speakers and audio quality on the K1 is awful. What's the point in having great headphones or speakers if the K1 DAC is garbage?

BlackBerry used to have amazing sound quality!
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    12-28-17 09:26 PM
    I've never thought BB10 phones had great DACs. Audio thru headphones were never remarkable compared to similar generation phones of that time. External sound thru speaker was generally very good. Z30 was top tier.
    12-28-17 09:42 PM
    I've completely given up on listening to tunes thru the phone itself. I just carry around a high quality dap and not worry anymore because it's just not worth worrying about it.
    TCM01 likes this.
    12-28-17 10:11 PM
    I've never thought BB10 phones had great DACs. Audio thru headphones were never remarkable compared to similar generation phones of that time. External sound thru speaker was generally very good. Z30 was top tier.
    Passport and, yes, Playbook also have superb speakers and sound quality.
    Qorax and BerryRipe like this.
    12-28-17 10:33 PM
    i'm still upset they made it look like there were two speakers on the bottom of KeyOne.
    12-29-17 01:37 AM
    i'm still upset they made it look like there were two speakers on the bottom of KeyOne.
    Typical Chinese shuffle!
    12-29-17 01:41 AM
    hmm. I think it sounds fine.
    Lumia 8x and Hulk123 like this.
    12-29-17 01:44 AM
    On the PRIV they had that huge speaker grille, but the actual speaker was tiny and the rest was miscellaneous stuff like the vibration motor.
    12-29-17 02:09 AM
    I've been pretty happy with the sound on my KeyOne, both speakers and headphones. There's definitely room for improvement, but I came from a Nexus 5x, which has some of the absolute worst sound quality I've heard from any device intended for audio.
    TCM01 and Hulk123 like this.
    12-29-17 02:26 AM
    got to disagree on the passport. I use a 3.5 mm to aux port at work on 2 different stereos and it was always quiet. not having that problem with the Keyone. also didn't have that issue with my q10
    12-29-17 03:01 PM
    One thing you can do - and it is on another thread - is to turn on the equalizer. It made a difference after I did that.
    TCM01 likes this.
    12-29-17 04:29 PM
    single speaker is ok on KEYone because if you cover it up the sound still comes out though the keyboard 😂😂
    12-29-17 07:49 PM
    Passport and, yes, Playbook also have superb speakers and sound quality.
    True that. Passport's speakers are awesome.
    UrbanGlowCam and BerryRipe like this.
    12-29-17 08:40 PM
    Cause the speakers and audio quality on the K1 is awful. What's the point in having great headphones or speakers if the K1 DAC is garbage?

BlackBerry used to have amazing sound quality!
    Speaker phone, mic and sound, have typically been very strong w previous Berries. This is the worst, esp the microphone.

When is there going to be a Key2?
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    12-30-17 08:23 AM
    What is everyone talking about? It sounds great on my Shure Se215 Limited Edition. Speakerphone is fine for being mono. But it does distort at higher volume but not as bad as my Bold 9900
    12-30-17 12:19 PM
    Funny cause I've always thought Blackberry's attitude to audio has been horrible.
    12-31-17 07:41 AM
    What K2???
    12-31-17 09:57 AM
    I agree, the K1 speaker(s) are garbage compared to every previous BB phone I've owned. 7100, Storm, Torch, Z10, Passports, Classic, Priv... all had loud audio, the king being the Passport - it always stuns my friends when I can use that phone to blast decent quality music that fills a room after they realize their iphone can't hack it.

Sadly, the Keyone mono speaker and earpiece speaker are very quiet. Often I need to plug one ear just to hear a call if I'm in a public area that's noisy.

Why put the fake second grill on the bottom of the phone if no speaker is placed there? It's really cheezy. A microphone doesn't need that much room or a grill like that and it could be better served with a second stereo speaker.

I also wish they would have kept the same design language as the top grill on the keyone and the passport SE. They should have used the small drilled hole grill style for the speakers on the bottom, not those large openings - I think it makes the phone design feel disjointed and inconsistent.

So Yea - BBm, make your next phone with properly loud, quality speakers like Blackberries of old. Or at the very least make use of the earpiece speaker as the second one for stereo loud speaker function.
    01-01-18 09:17 AM
    I've found the microphone quality to be of poor quality on the KeyOne. Can any anyone recommend the BlackBerry Motion as an alternative. Thinking of switching.

Anyone know what the internal microphone hardware is for these BBMobile devices?
    03-10-18 02:37 PM
    The microphone is just a disaster for something with its primary purpose being a phone. worse than decade old technology. how can something so slipshod be manufactured in this day and age?
    03-10-18 03:39 PM
    Speakers are good for me. But they could be bit more louder
    03-10-18 03:47 PM
    Speakers are good for me. But they could be bit more louder
    Me too, but I don't use my phone for entertainment so...
    03-10-18 03:50 PM
    I personal hate that keyOne speaker phone it just so quiet that I can't even hear it and yet it is the third KeyOne and thinking if I should return it?
    03-10-18 04:42 PM
    I'd have to agree the K1 speakers can't hold a candle to the Passport.

BUT, I have zero complaints listening to music from storage or streaming through Deezer and listening through the 3.5mm aux. on either my Shure headphones or Bryston 2 channel system.

I'd say the DAC is just fine. Let's remind ourselves the K1 is not in the Rolls Royce price range.
    03-10-18 07:42 PM
    Agreed they need to install Passport or Z30 quality stereo speakers....maybe they can install them while installing some better antennas
    03-12-18 09:17 AM
46 12