Hi Everybody,

My firm as a BYOD policy that allows iPhones and Blackberries (running a blackberry os). Android is prohibited. I'd love to try out a Keyone, however - it's android. Other than the one security app, how else is the phone os secured? Anything I can pass onto my IT group that would help them feel the phone is safe to hook up to our network?

As I use my phone primarily for work email, calendar, etc... - being able to hook up to my network is a must.

-Tom
    06-13-17 10:16 AM
    Here's what BlackBerry has to say about BlackBerry Android security:
    https://help.blackberry.com/en/secur...426888362.html
    06-13-17 10:21 AM
    What software is your firm using to manage devices?

Are there specific reasons why your firm banned Android?

If you know those things you can maybe work back to a justification for this particular flavor of Android.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-13-17 10:25 AM
    Dup post. Oops
    Last edited by Tommy-boy; 06-13-17 at 02:00 PM. Reason: dup
    06-13-17 01:59 PM
    Here's what BlackBerry has to say about BlackBerry Android security:
    https://help.blackberry.com/en/secur...426888362.html
    This is very helpful. Thanks for posting. Somehow I missed this earlier. Good stuff
    06-13-17 01:59 PM
    What software is your firm using to manage devices?

Are there specific reasons why your firm banned Android?

If you know those things you can maybe work back to a justification for this particular flavor of Android.
    I'm not entirely sure. We use MS exchange for network. Outlook on pcs.
    06-13-17 02:03 PM
    I'm not entirely sure. We use MS exchange for network. Outlook on pcs.
    He's referring to Mobile Device Management software that is installed on each device and allows the IT department to install software and control apps and permissions for each device remotely.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-13-17 08:58 PM
    Iron Maiden?
    Bad?
    BESt?

Get the humour?
    06-13-17 09:13 PM
    He's referring to Mobile Device Management software that is installed on each device and allows the IT department to install software and control apps and permissions for each device remotely.
    not sure. Could be functionality built into exchange active sync. I dont think there is anything else.
    Last edited by Tommy-boy; 06-13-17 at 10:10 PM.
    06-13-17 09:24 PM
    not sure. Could be functionality built into exchange active sync
    It's not.

If you're asking for help in convincing your IT dept to support BB's Android, people would need some more background on what your IT dept is using and why they excluded Android.

Otherwise all anyone can tell you is BB has hardened the kernel, added a hardware root of trust, and locked down the bootloader. Will any of that actually make it OK to attach to your network? Maybe, maybe not.
    06-13-17 09:31 PM
    not sure. Could be functionality built into exchange active sync
    It's not.

If you're asking for help in convincing your IT dept to support BB's Android, people would need some more background on what your IT dept is using and why they excluded Android.

Otherwise all anyone can tell you is BB has hardened the kernel, added a hardware root of trust, and locked down the bootloader. Will any of that actually make it OK to attach to your network? Maybe, maybe not.
    06-13-17 09:31 PM
    Microsoft Outlook and Exchange are for email. Maybe your company doesn't use MDM and have just standardized on iPhones because unlike Android, users have limited access to the file system, which provides a more secure environment by default. Older BlackBerry's also tend to be more secure because the user base is so small.
    06-13-17 09:32 PM
    Only email, calendar, contacts. This is what we get.
    06-13-17 10:22 PM
    I'm pretty sure they use mdm, especially for BYOD...

If they don't support android with your mdm there's no way they will support this. If you don't know what mdm they use it's going to be difficult to convince them. Even if you did, that's still a hard sell.
    06-13-17 10:22 PM
    office365 exchange has mdm built in, my company is about to kill active sync and force everyone to use the stupid outlook app, because they can block screenshots and prevent attachments from being copied etc. it's going to be annoying to have to use the outlook app.
    06-13-17 10:23 PM
    Personally, I wouldn't want to be the one trying to convince IT to allow Androids on their network because if a security breach does happen whether it was because of Android or not I could be blamed for convincing the company to change their security policies. That's just my humble opinion.
    06-13-17 10:27 PM
    My last company only allowed macos, linux for desktop. BBos bb10 and iphone for issued mobiles or byod.

No windows os or android devices were allowed. No exceptions. Maybe systems folks can chime in.
    06-13-17 11:10 PM
    The policy is in place for a reason and I don't think any amount of information that you get the forums or anywhere else will change that. Just a shot in the dark, but it would not surprise me that the reason android devices are not allowed is because of fragmentation of android versions and security updates.
    06-13-17 11:13 PM
    They could limit to OS versions. My company is slowly banning Android now because apparently everything from Exchange is being routed through google gmail services without choice which is a concern around data privacy.
    06-13-17 11:45 PM
    Microsoft Exchange Server supports device management at least from a security perspective in terms of remote wiping and remote locking without any other MDM application.
    06-14-17 12:44 AM
    Our firm has ditched BlackBerry altogether so we're on iPhones and Androids.

KEYᵒⁿᵉ is what I was waiting for.
    06-14-17 06:31 AM