Hello Crackberry members

24 hours ago I noticed my KeyOne (2017, bought from indie seller on Amazon) was very hot after charging. I'm not very 'technical' so forgive any howlers in terminology

-Today none of my charging leads work
    -More seriously, an unpleasant (ie bad electrical) smell comes from the KeyOne's charging port, along with instant heat.
    -The phone's other functions appear to be working
    -I've tried different charging leads in different electrical sockets (UK) to narrow down the source of the problem, including using this laptop's usb port (no charge or recognition of the device by the laptop)
    I deduce it's the KeyOne's charging port at fault.

Suggestions welcomed. Is it possible to replace the KeyOne's charging port? No ability to charge or back up. Or is it the battery? Gulp
    12-07-19 05:29 AM
    Hello Crackberry members

24 hours ago I noticed my KeyOne (2017, bought from indie seller on Amazon) was very hot after charging. I'm not very 'technical' so forgive any howlers in terminology

-More seriously, an unpleasant (ie bad electrical) smell comes from the KeyOne's charging port, along with instant heat.
    -I've tried different charging leads in different electrical sockets (UK) to narrow down the source of the problem, including using this laptop's usb port (no charge or recognition of the device by the laptop)

Suggestions welcomed. Is it possible to replace the KeyOne's charging port? No ability to charge or back up. Or is it the battery? Gulp
    It is possible to replace the USB port, but not something you can do yourself....It requires hot air soldering equipment.
    Smart Repair in the UK should be able to do it for you.
    If the phone still turns on the battery should be ok.
    https://www.smartrepair.io/blackberr...ng-port-repair
    12-07-19 02:40 PM
    Hello Crackberry members

Check that there is nothing stuck in the port. This has happened to me a couple of times. Use compressed air and/or a vacuum.
    12-07-19 03:14 PM
    Yep, it could be just pocket lint accumulated or a faulty USB port.
    12-07-19 05:40 PM
    I had this happen as well. I brought it into a repair shop, and the guy there didn't even want to risk repairing it. I ended up buying a new K1. At least the battery lasted long enough for me to back everything up.
    12-08-19 10:44 AM
    return it under Amazon warranty
    12-08-19 12:16 PM
    Hello Crackberry members

This may sound crazy. Pls clean USB port with toothbrush and try

Classic is magic!
    12-08-19 12:29 PM
    LOVE all these suggestions. Have tried everything, including just now the toothbrush. Yes, the toothbrush And lo, the port is now actively charging!!! hmmmm. Will now keep an eye/nose out for any changes but fingers crossed. Thank you. My Keyone lives on yet for another 24 hrs. Whoop whoop from London!
    ps - does anyone else get sneaking admiring glances from strangers when they clock you're using an actual Blackberry?
    12-08-19 01:04 PM
    LOVE all these suggestions. Have tried everything, including just now the toothbrush. Yes, the toothbrush And lo, the port is now actively charging!!! hmmmm. Will now keep an eye/nose out for any changes but fingers crossed. Thank you. My Keyone lives on yet for another 24 hrs. Whoop whoop from London!
    ps - does anyone else get sneaking admiring glances from strangers when they clock you're using an actual Blackberry?
    Glad to know that your USB port issue got resolved now.

Classic is magic!
    12-09-19 01:45 AM
    I just been through this exact problem with a KeyOne purchased from Amazon in 2017. Short anwser $125 to replace the charging circuit.
    Blackberry will tell you the KeyOne no longer supported and they don't have the parts. They do. It took them more than a month to address the problem and tell me what needed to be repaired. There's a whole saga, but bascially it's been more that a month, I still don't have my phone back and it's costing $125 to repair. I'm so disappointed in Blackberry.
    If you can find a third party to make the repair I'd go that route. Dealing with Blackberry sucked.
    Last edited by K5678; 01-04-20 at 08:44 PM.
    12-27-19 04:09 PM
    Update: After paying the $125 for the repair they ended up sending me a whole new Keyone. Fortunately my contacts and everything had magically backed-up and downloaded when I logged into the phone, so I lost very little. Blackberry's back in my good graces.
    01-04-20 08:47 PM
    Wow.. Quite an unexpected resolution! We'll done.
    01-06-20 08:29 PM