Now I'm not unfamiliar with HDR modes on smartphones and I have steady-ish hands.

The Google pixels advantage as a great photo capture device is in its ability to take great photos in high contrast and low light situations using HDR mode.

I've been using HDR since the priv and then the DTEK60 and I get excellent sharp results.

Now for the KEYone. It has the same setup as the Google pixel so it should be capable of great HDR photos given the software is tuned properly, but can't seem to take sharp photos in low light using HDR mode for some reason. I believe the shutter speed has been programmed at too slow a value so you have to be tripod steady to take a decent shot and without OIS it almost seems impossible.

I compared it to my dtek60 and found that I get sharper results each time with the dtek on hand held HDR mode.

But of course the brighter lens and better sensor gives me a better exposed photo on the keyone, but let's focus on sharpness here.

Are any of you experiencing the same?
    Last edited by The Big Picture; 06-07-17 at 04:29 AM.
    06-06-17 05:44 PM
    Here is a picture no HDR
    Attached Thumbnails HDR mode sharpness problem-24163.jpg  
    06-06-17 05:49 PM
    This is with
    Attached Thumbnails HDR mode sharpness problem-24162.jpg  
    06-06-17 05:49 PM
    Both pictures same focal point and exposure values.
    06-06-17 05:50 PM
    Anyone?
    06-07-17 04:30 AM
    Im on holiday in athens and this is the best I can do on HDR mode with both my elbows stabilised by my knees. Lol
    Attached Thumbnails HDR mode sharpness problem-27675.jpg  
    zman12000 likes this.
    06-10-17 06:08 PM
    Just a fyi it only has the same image sensor as the pixel. It doesn't have the same SoC image processing features, hardware speed, or software processing at all.
    06-10-17 06:09 PM
    I had decent daytime pics. But night were below average.
    06-10-17 06:29 PM
    Just a fyi it only has the same image sensor as the pixel. It doesn't have the same SoC image processing features, hardware speed, or software processing at all.
    Well that explains alot. The dtek 60 seems to process HDR photos much faster.

OIS would have helped in these low light HDR situations.

Oh well.
    06-11-17 06:19 PM
    Yeah a bunch of the reviews give bad information saying the setup is identical when only one part is really.
    06-11-17 06:24 PM
    HDR is also better applied in cases with lots of natural lighting where you have highlights and darks. e.g. a sunny sky and shaded trees. Night and low light aren't helped by HDR really.
    06-11-17 11:11 PM
    Same camera setup is irrelevant. It's the software that does the magic for the most part.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-11-17 11:39 PM
    Even if you are taking picture under direct sunlight which enables the shutter speed to be "fast enough" to freeze subject-motion AND hand shake, your HDR image will also suffered fuzziness from halo effect between transition between highlight and shadow.

TL;DR

To test out your HDR, put your phone on a steady tripod, set time 3s to cancel out any vibration left after you touch your phone. Post picture here.

Posted via Blackberry Passport
    06-11-17 11:47 PM
    Even if you are taking picture under direct sunlight which enables the shutter speed to be "fast enough" to freeze subject-motion AND hand shake, your HDR image will also suffered fuzziness from halo effect between transition between highlight and shadow.

TL;DR

To test out your HDR, put your phone on a steady tripod, set time 3s to cancel out any vibration left after you touch your phone. Post picture here.

In bright Sun light all is good!
    Attached Thumbnails HDR mode sharpness problem-28443.jpg  
    06-13-17 11:42 PM
    This was last night in Vegas. Doesn't look too bad...
    Attached Thumbnails HDR mode sharpness problem-25280.jpg  
    06-14-17 12:45 AM
    I think the low light shots are already discussed before. HDR can't be the reason for that.

I took some daylight ones and they came out well.
    06-14-17 01:34 AM
    That's exactly the kind of results which I'm finding hard to achieve.

How many attempts? Is it sharp when you zoom in?
    06-14-17 04:58 AM
    Took only one attempt at this one. it took a moment or two to focus, but not too long. First step of zoom still sharp as you can read the numbers on the clock above the hotel entrance. Second step of zoom, sharp but detail starts to degrade somewhat and you start seeing noise. But then again, it's not a DSLR camera.
    06-14-17 05:26 AM
    In bright Sun light all is good!
    Then there is absolutely no problem with the lens or sensor. Phone camera is getting better, but still struggling to in low light situation. If you would like to achieve a sharpest image possible without worrying about exposure settings, use a handheld gimbo stabilizer (it helps with recording video as well).

Happy shooting

06-14-17 09:44 AM
    That's exactly the kind of results which I'm finding hard to achieve.

How many attempts? Is it sharp when you zoom in?
    Even though that's a night shot that bridge is pretty lit up from all the huge screens all over... I know that area in Vegas. So it's not really a low light shot.
    06-14-17 11:41 AM
    I saw some good low light pics in the pic thread
    06-14-17 12:36 PM
    Doesn't look that great either, to me it looks a little blurry and there is quite a bit of noise but like you said it isn't a DSLR although flagship phones would have done better.
    06-14-17 12:53 PM
    I did manage this after 5 tries.
    Attached Thumbnails HDR mode sharpness problem-44189.jpg  
    06-17-17 06:47 PM
    but still I'm disappointed with the camera's response. it should be faster and easier to use
    07-25-17 06:16 AM