So I live in BFE and thought let me call AT&T to see if there are going to be pre-orders for the KEYOne. The rep stated that "they no longer carry Blackberry so they wouldn't have this phone."

I said I understand you don't have it now, it is not out in the US yet, are you saying that once it is released at the end of May you will not have it? They said it will be available to use on the AT&T network but you have to get it from a third party.

I was just curious if anyone else heard anything like this? I know that reps do not usually hear things until it is ready to launch, but wasn't sure how true the statement was.
    05-03-17 08:27 AM
    So I live in BFE and thought let me call AT&T to see if there are going to be pre-orders for the KEYOne. The rep stated that "they no longer carry Blackberry so they wouldn't have this phone."

I said I understand you don't have it now, it is not out in the US yet, are you saying that once it is released at the end of May you will not have it? They said it will be available to use on the AT&T network but you have to get it from a third party.

I was just curious if anyone else heard anything like this? I know that reps do not usually hear things until it is ready to launch, but wasn't sure how true the statement was.
    I wouldn't buy that nonsense from a rep for now. It could be true but I haven't found them very "helpful" over the years. They all seem to be iphone fanboys/girls.
    05-03-17 08:31 AM
    By all accounts it might be months before AT&T has this phone.... so no it's not unusual for a front line sales rep to have no clue that it's coming. I expect very few SPRINT sales reps know anything about carrying the KEYone at some future point right now.
    05-03-17 08:36 AM
    By all accounts it might be months before AT&T has this phone.... so no it's not unusual for a front line sales rep to have no clue that it's coming. I expect very few SPRINT sales reps know anything about carrying the KEYone at some future point right now.
    I agree on this as well. I would guess carriers won't get this phone until a few months after it becomes available unlocked in the US. So it probably hasn't even come up in sales meetings yet, especially since it is a BlackBerry.

I feel like the only benefit of getting a BlackBerry through a carrier anymore is if you need the lower price for 2 year contract or want to pay over time with plans like AT&T Next.
    05-03-17 08:46 AM
    Based on the statement from BB Mobile, Sprint is the only carrier onboard now. But they are hoping to add more by mid summer.
    05-03-17 09:42 AM
    The problem is that most of the diehards will buy unlocked phones before they're available on the network. Since the ppl in AT&T stores and other retail outlets will push people to more expensive and more popular phones from apple and samsung, and because blackberry/TCL themselves will do little to no effective marketing, there's really not much incentive for the carriers to carry the keyone. From what I understand, the Z10, Z30, classic, etc... were all seen as commercial failures, and so was the priv. Blackberry simply doesn't have the mindshare it once had. Unless the keyone experiences unprecedented demand from their customers, I don't see them carrying the phone. Even if they do, I don't see their sales reps pushing it. The carriers are in business to make money, not to support blackberry. Unless blackberry/TCL can make a strong case that these carriers will make money if they carry the phone, I don't see it being widely adopted.
    05-03-17 09:45 AM
    Just buy the phone unlocked when available in the states and put it on AT&T's network. No need for them to officially carry it, you will also avoid the branding they would put on the device.
    anon(2026370) likes this.
    05-03-17 09:49 AM
    While I totally get it that if the carriers offer this product we will all be able to get devices at subsidized pricing, the reality of it is simply that without critical mass (read : DEMAND) no carrier in their right mind would commit to BB anything. Show me the money. Otherwise no thanks. So really what it comes down to is if you want this phone - you're going to have to buy it outright. Not cheap for sure. But less than an iPhone or S8. Until BB regains share this is the way it's going to be. The enthusiasm we all show here for this terrific device doesn't necessarily translate into sales in the real world. I love BB products. They are terrific. Not many others do except the core fanbois. BB 's gotta win back the market.
    05-03-17 09:59 AM
    AT&T took a real beating on their last BlackBerry release. I would imagine they would want proof of market demand before any more BlackBerry-branded phones.
    05-03-17 10:30 AM
    I was at an AT&T store a couple of weeks ago and there was one section for iPhone, one for Samsung, another for Go Phones and next to it a single LG G6 and a V20.

That was it! No Motorola, no Windows, no HTC, no One Plus, no other phones. Rest of the store was cases, lots of DirecTV, AT&T Home etc.

If anyone is expecting them to make room for a Blackberry, you're not gonna see it. They may eventually carry it online and for enterprise, but not gonna happen in retail stores.

I decided to get the G6 and the rep kept trying to steer me to the S8 (even before it was available for sale but still on display!). Sammy obviously pays yuge commissions for these guys.
    05-03-17 12:13 PM
    I was at an AT&T store a couple of weeks ago and there was one section for iPhone, one for Samsung, another for Go Phones and next to it a single LG G6 and a V20.

That was it! No Motorola, no Windows, no HTC, no One Plus, no other phones. Rest of the store was cases, lots of DirecTV, AT&T Home etc.

If anyone is expecting them to make room for a Blackberry, you're not gonna see it. They may eventually carry it online and for enterprise, but not gonna happen in retail stores.

I decided to get the G6 and the rep kept trying to steer me to the S8 (even before it was available for sale but still on display!). Sammy obviously pays Huge commissions for these guys.
    No store in the States sells Oneplus devices. You can only order them online
    05-03-17 01:46 PM
    I called last week, same thing. We no longer carry BB or that we see upcoming devices. Although they did see new releases from others. low profile phones though. Priv didnt even make it to my stores just online order.

Hope we can confirm volte on att.
    05-03-17 02:04 PM