I have the home screen of my dreams - no icons, no folders with icons, no pages to swipe left/right through. Just a minimal look with super quick access to everything I use on a daily basis. I can load a barrage of apps within a second. Most of my heavy use apps are keyboard shortcuts and the lesser-used apps I'll launch from my app drawer.

Some of my favorite shortcuts:
    camera: short-press c
    bbm: short-press b
    Google maps: short-press m
    phone: short-press p
    browser: short-press i (i for Internet)
    settings: short-press s
    Amazon: long-press a
    calendar: long-press D (d for date)
    ... and a few more...

This is just awesome.

Has anyone else gone Minimalist yet?-img_20170629_1925454.jpg
    06-29-17 05:45 PM
    06-29-17 06:10 PM
    Funny, I have a lot of the same keyboard shortcuts as you do!
    06-29-17 06:11 PM
    Same as me! Just wish you could remove the app drawer icon. Then it would be perfect.
    06-29-17 06:23 PM
    I have a pantech pocket with Android running ICS. I removed virtually all icons, no google tab, nothing for five blank screens except for one icon for my ereader.

Needless to say, that phone does nothing except e-read. Awesome battery life! Regular usage is about a week life. Standby is about three weeks. Plus it's virtually shatterproof on drops.

Signature: Still typing away on my Passport SE!
    06-29-17 06:36 PM
    My current look. No icons left or right. Just widgets on the home screen with a few essentials along the bottom. Swipe left reveals a full screen hub widget. I use keyboard shortcuts (long press) for frequently used apps and device search for the rest.
    Attached Thumbnails Has anyone else gone Minimalist yet?-25939.jpg  
    ce71 and pinkvikchick like this.
    06-29-17 06:43 PM
    Awesome. I'm also keeping the home minimal, and almost abusing the keyboard shortcuts (set up additional "combination" shortcuts using buttons remapper)

Has anyone else gone Minimalist yet?-screenshot_2017-06-29-17-16-14.jpg

But I'm not as minimalist as you guys: used up a bunch of screens for widgets including TWO full screen hub widgets (messages, emails). Also chrome's pop up widget lets me get to a bookmarked page in one swipe. Really efficient.
    Last edited by pooyam; 06-29-17 at 08:00 PM.
    ce71 likes this.
    06-29-17 07:21 PM
    Finnaly got my homescreen to be blank (except the 2 icons at the bottom) and have everything set to keyboard shortcuts. Long presses for contacting people and short presses for launching apps. The 2nd screen has my folders of my frequently used apps.
    Attached Thumbnails Has anyone else gone Minimalist yet?-screenshot_20170629-220232.jpg  
    06-29-17 09:06 PM
    Finnaly got my homescreen to be blank (except the 2 icons at the bottom) and have everything set to keyboard shortcuts. Long presses for contacting people and short presses for launching apps. The 2nd screen has my folders of my frequently used apps.
    Long presses for people. Short presses for apps. I like that! I'm totally stealing it! Thanks!
    06-29-17 09:36 PM
    Went completely minimal from day one. Love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Has anyone else gone Minimalist yet?-4398.jpg  
    ce71 likes this.
    06-29-17 09:47 PM
    I love minimalist! Like a breath of fresh air that only the KEYone can provide.
    Attached Thumbnails Has anyone else gone Minimalist yet?-5331.jpg  
    john_v likes this.
    06-29-17 11:01 PM
    pinkvikchick and Klyphton like this.
    06-30-17 01:04 AM
    It won't let me screenshot my lockscreen wallpaper! Lol
    Attached Thumbnails Has anyone else gone Minimalist yet?-9895.jpg  
    06-30-17 01:46 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Minimalst.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	426186
    I like that wallpaper. Can you share it?

Posted via CB10
    06-30-17 04:57 AM
    I enjoy using the pop up widgets so no minimalist homescreen for me.
    06-30-17 05:46 AM
    LOVE IT. I've got shortcuts for everything!! Nice and clean... cleaner than when I had NovaLauncher pro on my G6. There's only so many gestures but oh so many letters in the alphabet

My only issue now is trying not to swipe the screen and remembering to hit the buttons instead, ha!
    gritsinct and ce71 like this.
    06-30-17 06:33 AM
    Seems like a pointless exercise to do away with all the homescreen icons. All you have achieved is to reduce the functionality of the device. I'm all for having a tidy house but this is simply unnecessary. The keyone IS the cupboard that houses all the toys so what does an empty homescreen achieve in real terms?

Surely better to be able to use keyboard shortcuts and icons. The keyboard compliments the touch screen and in doing this you are breaking the harmonious interaction between them. I feel a happy medium is to have the most used apps on the homescreen with the lesser used ones tucked away in the app drawer.

My approach is to cut out as much of the fat as possible ( delete useless apps, speed up animations etc) while retaining the muscle ie the functionality of the device.

There is a reason why touch screen killed the 'keyboard star'. For the most part touch screen is better. That's a reality borne out by the virtual death of BB and the rise of the slab. The keyone recognises this, but improves on it by fully integrating a keyboard to create a new experience. Keyone isn't about having one or the other or simply a keyboard bolted onto a generic slab. its a totally new and unique experience which I believe is broken by going so minimal.

I suppose android is all about personal choice as opposed to mummy knows best, but this isn't for me.
    Last edited by Mercuryuser; 06-30-17 at 08:22 AM.
    mbirth likes this.
    06-30-17 08:00 AM
    I like that wallpaper. Can you share it?

Posted via CB10
    Has anyone else gone Minimalist yet?-wood.jpg
    06-30-17 09:56 AM
    Seems like a pointless exercise to do away with all the homescreen icons. All you have achieved is to reduce the functionality of the device. I'm all for having a tidy house but this is simply unnecessary. The keyone IS the cupboard that houses all the toys so what does an empty homescreen achieve in real terms?
    For me, it helps me stay focused. Having many icons on the homescreen, I used to feel compelled to check in on other things rather than just completing my task or checking a message and then putting the phone back down. We are trying to cut down on our own phone usage at home, so having the clean screen helps tremendously.
    BigJuicer likes this.
    06-30-17 10:25 AM
    For me, it helps me stay focused. Having many icons on the homescreen, I used to feel compelled to check in on other things rather than just completing my task or checking a message and then putting the phone back down. We are trying to cut down on our own phone usage at home, so having the clean screen helps tremendously.

Maybe you should consider going truly retro.

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...esign-festival
    06-30-17 10:33 AM
    Maybe you should consider going truly retro.

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...esign-festival
    I've made the idiocy of buying it, at its launch, 1 1/2 years ago.
    Overpriced MTK based phone, lot of bugs (I've also made a minicom script to export the SMSs and told that to Punkt, because on the webpage it was stated "impossible to do backup"; then, incompetent answer).

I've understood they bought the whole pack, so to speak, few $ worth phone selling at, I dont remember exactly, but in europe around 300€ (stupid me), nonsense chars before punctuation ones in msg composing, no user-selectable vibration (I mean, always on) when call is answered, and so on...
    06-30-17 10:59 AM
    Goodness. You surely are passionate about having icons. But I do agree - it's all about personal choice... and my choice is too remove those evil icons.
    Last edited by ce71; 06-30-17 at 11:21 AM. Reason: I can't spell
    06-30-17 11:20 AM
    How do you guys manage with minimal? Ever since Symbian S60 days I NEED Widgets, as I do not always want to open an App just to look at one thing I usually always have a News Widget with Weather on my Home screen, Music Widget and a Widget with the day's Tasks.

Surely better to be able to use keyboard shortcuts and icons. The keyboard compliments the touch screen and in doing this you are breaking the harmonious interaction between them. I feel a happy medium is to have the most used apps on the homescreen with the lesser used ones tucked away in the app drawer.

My approach is to cut out as much of the fat as possible ( delete useless apps, speed up animations etc) while retaining the muscle ie the functionality of the device.

There is a reason why touch screen killed the 'keyboard star'. For the most part touch screen is better. That's a reality borne out by the virtual death of BB and the rise of the slab. The keyone recognises this, but improves on it by fully integrating a keyboard to create a new experience. Keyone isn't about having one or the other or simply a keyboard bolted onto a generic slab. its a totally new and unique experience which I believe is broken by going so minimal.

I suppose android is all about personal choice as opposed to mummy knows best, but this isn't for me.
    I watched a KEYone review recently where the guy made it quite a point to make his Home screen empty solely to make the point that he has however many buttons the KEYone has as shortcuts plus the long press and short press shortcuts, seemed counterintuitive to me when you have both a Touchscreen and a keyboard yet choose to go against the one lol, but hey, different strokes for different folks.

Don't you have to return to the Home screen all the time to use those shortcuts? Why not just get an app that allows you to swipe in shortcuts so that you don't have to keep jumping to the Home screen and break the usage flow.

But as I said, different strokes
    06-30-17 01:12 PM
    How do you guys manage with minimal? Ever since Symbian S60 days I NEED Widgets, as I do not always want to open an App just to look at one thing I usually always have a News Widget with Weather on my Home screen, Music Widget and a Widget with the day's Tasks.
    Well.. since you asked... I'll answer.

Plenty of news apps have notifications they will push to your phone if something that important happens.

Regarding the weather... I don't find the need to look at the weather forecast 214 times a day. I usually just look at it in the morning and I'm good for the rest of the day.
    06-30-17 01:22 PM
    Well.. since you asked... I'll answer.

Plenty of news apps have notifications they will push to your phone if something that important happens.

Regarding the weather... I don't find the need to look at the weather forecast 214 times a day. I usually just look at it in the morning and I'm good for the rest of the day.
    What I am basically describing is a "Today Screen", something that many of us ex-Symbian and ex-WM users loved. I remember using SPB Shell to get it back then, but Android took it to a new level.

Here is what everyone of my Android looks like, both the News and Calender are scrollable widgets meaning they give me all the info without me opening the app I just scroll on them and know what's going on, and click on the item I want if I need to dig deeper, I know it's not for everyone, I just love having a Today Screen I guess, lol:
    FF22 likes this.
    06-30-17 01:32 PM
75 123