Lol I'm positive! It was on his Twitter and here on CrackBerry, posted the same day.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on my BlackBerry Priv �
    04-17-16 04:36 PM
    I laughed when the Leap came out at $275. For weeks before, posters here had been predicting this entry-level phone would be well under $200. Knowing that BB can't price anything competitively, and with the overpriced Z3 as a guide, I knew it wouldn't.

So, it still hasn't dropped below $200 huh?

LOL

And folk wonder why BB10 phones are on death-row.

If we ever see these mid-range phones, which I doubt, I'd guess at them being around the $550 mark.
    It's the one thing I could never understand about BB. How they can't see the long-term value in getting more handsets into more hands rather than trying to make a hefty profit in the handset sales short-term...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-17-16 05:17 PM
    Lol I'm positive! It was on his Twitter and here on CrackBerry, posted the same day.

But that was a while ago, you're announcing it like you saw a new post and tweet...

04-17-16 05:18 PM

Posted via the CrackBerry App on my BlackBerry Priv ™
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    CmdrStraker, ubizmo and JeepBB like this.
    04-17-16 05:26 PM
    But that was a while ago, you're announcing it like you saw a new post and tweet...

Lol who cares when it was seen! The question was if it was still coming out and the answer is yes. 2 new BlackBerry Phones will come in 2016. I never said I seen it on Twitter today, what I said was I had read it on Chens Twitter...

04-17-16 06:50 PM
    My cousin is one of the head people for Att, she told him about the BlackBerry Priv before I knew anything about it. I thought she was joking about it because she said it was going to be running Android, we'll she was right because 2 months later it came out and I bought it. She has even told me BlackBerry was releasing 2 new phones this year, she said she's not sure which one will be first but it will arrive in her stores around September. I don't have any reason to think she's wrong. Especially after she was right about the Priv and also after I read it on Twitter and whatever website it was that I posted above. It all leads up to one thing and that a new BlackBerry coming out soon. I'm buying them both so when it comes out I'll be sure to post it hear so I can confirm what I read was true...

04-17-16 06:58 PM
    The Priv coming to Sprint was confirmed on his Twitter too at one point. Look how that turned out lol.

tl;dr: Chen has confirmed and pulled back on so many things now, his confirmations mean next to nothing.
    The Vienna forums still exist, so is it safe to say you still believe it's coming down the pipeline?

Posted via CB10
    04-17-16 07:58 PM
    The Priv coming to Sprint was confirmed on his Twitter too at one point. Look how that turned out lol.

tl;dr: Chen has confirmed and pulled back on so many things now, his confirmations mean next to nothing.
    If BB was only run by Japanese instead of Chinese... failure for them is resolved in harikiri, we wouldn't see this many failures. But instead, failures in BB are commonly rewarded by big fat goodbye $$ packages.
    04-18-16 07:36 AM
    It's the one thing I could never understand about BB. How they can't see the long-term value in getting more handsets into more hands rather than trying to make a hefty profit in the handset sales short-term...

With BB10 that might have been a smart marketing strategy to help build the userbase and thus attract more developers to the platform. Which would in turn help the platform grow, making it more attractive to more users. Plus some of those users would buy apps, movies, music.....

Now with BlackBerry a much smaller company with much smaller revenues, they aren't in a position to take any kind of loss. But there really is no need to attract more developers to Android. BlackBerry gains nothing financially from selling more devices... as they don't get anything if Google sells those users an app, movie or music.
    04-18-16 08:20 AM
    From the National (the interview which has prompted all this speculation):

The company�s chief executive, John Chen, told The National that BlackBerry plans to launch two mid-range Android handsets this year, one with a physical keyboard and one with a full touchscreen. He declined to say when the new devices would go on sale.

BlackBerry last week announced it had sold just 600,000 handsets during the three months to the end of March, well below analyst forecasts of 850,000. Mr Chen declined to say how many Privs had been sold during the period.

Mr Chen admitted that the Priv �was too high-end a product", with its target market of enterprise customers put off by the handset�s US$700 price tag.

�The fact that we came out with a high end phone [as our first Android device] was probably not as wise as it should have been," Mr Chen said during a visit to Abu Dhabi.

�A lot of enterprise customers have said to us, �I want to buy your phone but $700 is a little too steep for me. I�m more interested in a $400 device�."

The highlighting is mine.

Nothing is confirmed.

Currently these are merely "plans", which can and will change if Chen thinks he can't make hardware profitable. The Priv is not a success. It is debatable if further BB phones will do any better.

Enterprise users apparently want something cheaper (who knew?) - around a $400 price level. Chen specifically did not say he would satisfy those price aspirations.

Chen has not committed to releasing either of these phones, and (even if they come) has not committed to them being around $400.

TL, DR; It's smoke and mirrors.
    Yep - just like Marshmallow "coming early in 2016" - nothing specific given, we just know it's on the way...
    04-18-16 10:45 AM
    Yep - just like Marshmallow "coming early in 2016" - nothing specific given, we just know it's on the way...
    Priv on Sprint was on the way as well. I'll believe it when I see it lol.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-16 10:55 AM
    Chen didn't sound convinced that hardware was a viable division during the earnings report. I think he is waiting to see how sales go with the PRIV for at least the next quarter... if sales pick up, they might move forward. If they decline, and I expect that they will as the PRIV is coming up on six months and is being left behind by each new Android Flagship that is launched. Don't see Chen moving forward.... as the hamburg and rome are the Classic and the LEAP all over.... And what I didn't get back then and don't get right now, is why does enterprise need $400 phones? A $600- $700 phone is nothing if it makes a $50K employee more productive.... if they are a 80K, 100K, 200K+ employee....

Most of the companies that once issued BlackBerries that I deal with, have gone BOYD so it is a mute point. Three that I do know of that still issue phones, they are either iPhones on Samsung flagships. Maybe there is somewhere a need for $400 phones in some markets.... I just don't see that in the US.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-18-16 11:59 AM
    The Vienna forums still exist, so is it safe to say you still believe it's coming down the pipeline?

Posted via CB10
    Vienna was never going to be released under 'Vienna' anyway, it was always just a codename and a rough outline, but a codename that was confirmed. One of those two devices (Hamburg and Rome) are an extension of what Vienna was, so yes, it's still possible a more refined device similar to that will be released, hence why the conversation around it remains open.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    04-18-16 03:22 PM
    Your right he did say that it was coming to Sprint on Twitter, and 2 weeks later he changed his mind and said on Twitter that it wasn't coming out. I just talked to my cousin that works for Att and she said they are getting another BlackBerry phone this year, I asked her if it was the Vienna and she said she don't know the name or any details about it, she just knows of one to be hitting the store around September. I know she knows what she's talking about because she's the one I found out about the BlackBerry Priv from, She told me she was going to be selling a BlackBerry Android and I thought to myself that she had to be wrong but she was right, about 2 months later the BlackBerry Priv arrived in store and she sent me a picture and 2 days later I picked it up . Now if I could get a discount from her I'd be set lol, but that's not possible. What's cool is here where I live in Oklahoma the Att stores have company phones for the workers, almost every one I've seen uses the BlackBerry Priv, there is a few that have the S7. She's going to let me know which phone is coming as soon as she learns the name of which is coming.

From what I've been reading the lower priced Hamburg is being released first (around September?), followed by the Flagship Rome.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    hoytbowhunter likes this.
    04-18-16 08:21 PM
    Company using city code names before: AMD
    04-19-16 11:48 AM

Just received this on my news feeds! Looks like Chen wasn't joking when I seen his Twitter post about a week ago. http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36015071

Attached Thumbnails Hamburg or Rome?-43457.jpg  
    04-19-16 08:31 PM
    I think my goggle is a week behind though lol, this was posted about 2 weeks ago it looks like.

04-19-16 08:32 PM
    Rome is my first choice between those 2 you refer.
    hoytbowhunter likes this.
    04-19-16 08:35 PM
    Rome is my first choice between those 2 you refer.
    I'm buying them both, I just like having every BlackBerry rather there all in the drawer and I'm just using one ,as long as I own them lol. The only one I don't own is the Pearl, I couldn't text on that thing, oh and don't own the passport.

04-19-16 08:38 PM
    It's fantastic experience buying both of it. Now you can exactly say which one is better to use?
    04-19-16 08:41 PM
    Lol yeah that's true, I'll buy one and use it for 6 months and then switch it out and then switch back to the Priv for awhile.

04-19-16 09:43 PM
    Vienna was never going to be released under 'Vienna' anyway, it was always just a codename and a rough outline, but a codename that was confirmed. One of those two devices (Hamburg and Rome) are an extension of what Vienna was, so yes, it's still possible a more refined device similar to that will be released, hence why the conversation around it remains open.
    Will you create a forum for the Hamburg?

Posted via CB10
    04-20-16 08:18 AM
    Will you create a forum for the Hamburg?

Posted via CB10
    Not until I know John Chen has made up his mind.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-20-16 07:56 PM
    I think my goggle is a week behind though lol, this was posted about 2 weeks ago it looks like.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on my BlackBerry Priv ™
    Dude, please stop trying. He said nothing about any of it on Twitter. And that's ignoring the fact he's been like a fish out water in the devices area since late last year. Flip-flopping his answers around like he has no clue.
    04-20-16 07:57 PM
    Not until I know John Chen has made up his mind.
    Good luck with that man lol.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-20-16 08:21 PM
60 123