I opened Google Maps to look for something, first time I launched it on the phone...now it is constantly giving me notifications, and "following me".

If I enter a store, I get a "review this".

and all kinds of other notifications about maps...

how do I disable whatever is going on?

I just want to open the map when I want to search something, I don't need it following me and filling my phone with notices.

help!
    12-19-17 11:39 PM
    I opened Google Maps to look for something, first time I launched it on the phone...now it is constantly giving me notifications, and "following me".

If I enter a store, I get a "review this".

and all kinds of other notifications about maps...

how do I disable whatever is going on?

I just want to open the map when I want to search something, I don't need it following me and filling my phone with notices.

help!
    Settings->apps->maps->notifications->block
    12-20-17 12:25 AM
    Settings->apps->maps->notifications->block
    How would he get it to also just stop tracking his every move?
    12-20-17 12:44 AM
    How would he get it to also just stop tracking his every move?
    Turn off location access. Settings -> apps ->maps->permissions. Maps will require your location to function properly though.

Furthermore, it's a wise idea to keep an eye on your DTEK app. It'll show you which apps are accessing your location, and how often. You will notice that some apps are accessing your location far too often. You can edit your permissions via DTEK as well.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-20-17 12:49 AM
    I switched from Google Maps to Waze because of its tracking behavior (as reported by DTEK).
    12-20-17 04:18 AM
    Turn off location access. Settings -> apps ->maps->permissions. Maps will require your location to function properly though.

Furthermore, it's a wise idea to keep an eye on your DTEK app. It'll show you which apps are accessing your location, and how often. You will notice that some apps are accessing your location far too often. You can edit your permissions via DTEK as well.
    Good suggestions.
    12-20-17 09:19 AM
    I switched from Google Maps to Waze because of its tracking behavior (as reported by DTEK).
    Waze has excellent real-time traffic and collision alerts also.
    12-20-17 09:22 AM
    Waze was bought by Google 4.5 yrs ago. If you don't think it's sending tracking information to Google, as well, you're in for a surprise
    gizmo21 likes this.
    12-20-17 01:11 PM
    I disabled mine and it seems to still track me.
    12-20-17 01:43 PM
    Waze was bought by Google 4.5 yrs ago. If you don't think it's sending tracking information to Google, as well, you're in for a surprise
    Oh wow! I was checking Waze permissions it wants permission on everything too!
    12-20-17 01:43 PM
    Ya it'll need permission to work properly. People want apps that provide amazing utility but they don't want it tracking them. Hard to have both. I understand that sometimes the location tracking is a little excessive, but I'm apart of the group that doesn't really worry about it too much. I care about my privacy, but realistically it doesn't really bother me if Google knows where I am. Hey they know I'm at Starbucks! Come and visit, lol.
    12-20-17 01:47 PM
    To further my point, I care more about features such as locker, picture password, hardware root of trust, secure boot etc.
    12-20-17 01:48 PM
    I based my decision on DTEK reports of tracking behavior. Maps was accessing my location even when the app was not open or in use. To me, this feels very creepy. I can understand that a map app needs access to my location when I am using it but does it really need to know every time I visit the grocery store? According to DTEK, Waze only accesses my location when I open and use the app.
    12-20-17 01:57 PM
    I based my decision on DTEK reports of tracking behavior. Maps was accessing my location even when the app was not open or in use. To me, this feels very creepy. I can understand that a map app needs access to my location when I am using it but does it really need to know every time I visit the grocery store? According to DTEK, Waze only accesses my location when I open and use the app.
    Ya it's definitely unnecessary but again, it doesn't really bother me personally. I use tiles on my keys and in my wallet, and according to dtek, tiles is accessing my location constantly. That's just how that product works, and I am okay with it.
    12-20-17 02:05 PM
    I was disappointed actually. This is my first Android phone and had heard great things about Maps but wish developers would learn to draw the line and not ruin otherwise great products with unnecessary and invasive functionality.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-20-17 02:27 PM
    I was getting annoyed by google spamming me on the phone for reviews and other "how does that make you feel" crap about my locations, which I don't, otherwise, feel a need to block from google, right now.

Some CB K1 poster around here pointed me to where a whole Pandora's box of invasive google settings are buried. Open google maps app, go to the menu, upper left (hamburger?, overflow?, three horizontal lines). Near the bottom of that menu, Settings > Notifications > Your contributions. All the switches on that page were on and I turned them off. Annoyance level has been reduced. Personally, I don't need google or FB or anybody to know what I am doing and I'll decide if and when I need to tell someone ( ).

Google Maps messing with me....-1513816338910.jpg

Tank, Zuckerberg, tank! Google Maps messing with me....-icon_berserkf.gif **** google.....
    12-20-17 06:39 PM
    Is it tied to Google Protect or whatever the "FIND MY PHONE" app is called? It apparently needs to know your location which is why I have no enabled it. Maps does not seem to track me except if I use it.
    12-20-17 08:37 PM
    I was getting annoyed by google spamming me on the phone for reviews and other "how does that make you feel" crap about my locations, which I don't, otherwise, feel a need to block from google, right now.

Some CB K1 poster around here pointed me to where a whole Pandora's box of invasive google settings are buried. Open google maps app, go to the menu, upper left (hamburger?, overflow?, three horizontal lines). Near the bottom of that menu, Settings > Notifications > Your contributions. All the switches on that page were on and I turned them off. Annoyance level has been reduced. Personally, I don't need google or FB or anybody to know what I am doing and I'll decide if and when I need to tell someone ( ).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1513816338910.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	432522

Tank, Zuckerberg, tank! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icon_berserkf.gif 
Views:	74 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	432523 **** google.....
    I was really annoyed that first time Google mentioned I was at Greenlake and did I want to share my photo!!! WHAT!!!! NO way!
    12-20-17 08:40 PM
    I don't care that it tracks me.... I just don't want a million notifications, and suggestions about it.... "OH you just walked into ___ , review it!".... "oh you just drove by ____, post it!"..... its the notifications that are a massive intrusion.

The #1 thing I hate about Android... maybe its more noticeable coming from BB10..... is just how many f*king notifications there are on the phone all day long. Like I really just want to see emails/calls/msg's that's all
    i_plod_an_dr_void and FF22 like this.
    12-21-17 12:46 PM
    I don't care that it tracks me.... I just don't want a million notifications, and suggestions about it.... "OH you just walked into ___ , review it!".... "oh you just drove by ____, post it!"..... its the notifications that are a massive intrusion.

The #1 thing I hate about Android... maybe its more noticeable coming from BB10..... is just how many f*king notifications there are on the phone all day long. Like I really just want to see emails/calls/msg's that's all
    Yeah didn't bb10 have (and still have) all those downloadable map apps for a fee (by city)....maybe they didn't track you?
    Don't know whether Perly's (the mapbook people) ever made a solid stab at selling an electronic version of their maps, without any tracking capabilities....there might be a renewed market for such a thing? To keep the personal data-mining gropers at bay? A slight inconvenience of maybe no GPS or traffic, but what the hey....didn't anyone learn how to actually read a map? or is that also a lost art along with writing cursive?
    FF22 likes this.
    12-21-17 01:53 PM
    I was disappointed actually. This is my first Android phone and had heard great things about Maps but wish developers would learn to draw the line and not ruin otherwise great products with unnecessary and invasive functionality.
    Ok. Be sure never to use the place of interest reviews when you do a Google search, or look at pictures of places/businesses.

I contribute to the knowledge graph because it's really helpful when I travel. Maybe not your thing...but for the rest of us, crowdsourcing rocks. And if it allows Google to monetize me so they can maintain the platform, that's fine too.
    12-21-17 02:51 PM
    The first time that freaked me out was when I was at a restaurant and told me. "I am here and can you review and add picture" I was like WTF! Wow! Coming from BB10 to Android was a shocker!

My co-worker has a Samsung and he inputs lots of data from where he works to where he lives. So everyday just before work ends, he gets notified how many mins going home. In fairness he takes the highway home and can be lots of traffic.
    12-21-17 02:54 PM
    I'm not sure uninstalling Google Maps will even work. Google location history is part of Google Now / Assistant.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...d-switched-on/
    "On Android 7 it was as simple as going to Settings > Location (under personal) > Google Location History and selecting ‘off’. For comprehensive details on switching off and deleting your location history, go to Google’s Manage or delete your Location History page."
    12-21-17 03:41 PM

Open google maps app, go to the menu, upper left (hamburger?, overflow?, three horizontal lines). Near the bottom of that menu, Settings > Notifications > Your contributions. All the switches on that page were on and I turned them off. Annoyance level has been reduced.
    I wonder does doing this stop the notifications you don't want?
    12-21-17 04:20 PM
    Sorry I missed this part of the discussion.

Even Mobile Nation apps are guilty of this. By default they send out self promoting notifications.
    Personally I give any app that has pointless/advertising notifications a 1 star review.
    12-21-17 08:02 PM
27 12