Maybe he means they'll sell more KeyOne phones than Samsung will sell PKB cases for the S8, not the phone itself.
    I like the way you think, lol.
    04-19-17 05:52 PM
    Must be why we haven't heard too much from CBK for a while.
    LOL
    04-19-17 05:53 PM
    S8 looks like the best phone on the market. Close second right now would be the g6, also looks really good.
    But the keyone is so different it is hard to compare. People who want multimedia would probably go for the Samsung but I feel like the crazy battery life and pkb of the keyone is something no other phone can match!
    04-19-17 05:55 PM
    S8 looks like the best phone on the market. Close second right now would be the g6, also looks really good.
    But the keyone is so different it is hard to compare. People who want multimedia would probably go for the Samsung but I feel like the crazy battery life and pkb of the keyone is something no other phone can match!
    Exactly. This kind of differentiation is the only possible explanation.
    04-19-17 06:03 PM
    Yeah, feels like the KeyOne is going to be the final referendum on the viability of PKB phones going forward. By all indications it has a really good camera, premium feel, nice PKB, good performance, great battery life and a decent price point. If it doesn't sell well, I don't know what else they could do to entice people. I doubt the added delay from April to May is going to have a huge negative impact on their sales overall. It's clearly not a gaming / multimedia phone and is aimed squarely at a niche segment. TCL seems to think they can make it work, hopefully they can.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-19-17 06:03 PM
    Yeah, feels like the KeyOne is going to be the final referendum on the viability of PKB phones going forward. By all indications it has a really good camera, premium feel, nice PKB, good performance, great battery life and a decent price point. If it doesn't sell well, I don't know what else they could do to entice people. I doubt the added delay from April to May is going to have a huge negative impact on their sales overall. It's clearly not a gaming / multimedia phone and is aimed squarely at a niche segment. TCL seems to think they can make it work, hopefully they can.
    I assume everyone knows this, but the fact that the KEYone was designed and green lighted at all means that there is compelling market research data that millions of users are interested of the idea of a PKB in 2017. There are many reasons that might not translate into KEYone sales, but if the data didn't point towards a chance for success, no device would have been moved forward at all.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    04-20-17 07:35 AM
    It's kind of a shame that companies like Apple and Samsung have so effectively convinced the masses to think that anything that isn't a glass slab is "uncool." For those of us who still care about accuracy and keyboard shortcuts, out "choices" have become so limited, and soon maybe we won't have any choice at all. Just because everyone else is so desperate to fit in.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-20-17 08:42 AM
    I saw the review of the Samsung Galaxy S8, where the New York Times recommended holding off purchasing the S8, citing some hardware decisions that may not sit well with consumers (i.e locating the fingerprint scanner on the back next to the camera) as well as the unfinished key features, like Bixby. The also threw out the now-ubiquitous safety record of the Note batteries.

This is good news for the KeyOne, especially with the recent delays. I'm not sure how many people this article would influence into waiting to buy the S8, or skipping a purchase all-together, seeing as it's not from a technology-centered publication. But it certainly doesn't hurt.

I really hope that the KeyOne is successful, so that more phones in the future will offer physical keyboards.
    First the two phones are night and day. Next why would you take any joy in a story like that? Next do you really think people are waiting on the sidelines for the NYT, and are thinking......wow I need a BlackBerry?
    04-20-17 12:12 PM
    It's kind of a shame that companies like Apple and Samsung have so effectively convinced the masses to think that anything that isn't a glass slab is "uncool." For those of us who still care about accuracy and keyboard shortcuts, out "choices" have become so limited, and soon maybe we won't have any choice at all. Just because everyone else is so desperate to fit in.

That feels like a close-minded narrative.

Apple and Samsung didn't convince anyone of anything, no more than BlackBerry "convinced" folks that pkb devices were better than stylus-entry units way back when.

Slabs work for more people. More people are more productive on slabs than pkb devices.

All Samsung, Apple at al are doing is giving folks what they want to buy.

Thankfully, folks who are into pkbs still have options.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-20-17 03:59 PM
    That feels like a close-minded narrative.

Apple and Samsung didn't convince anyone of anything, no more than BlackBerry "convinced" folks that pkb devices were better than stylus-entry units way back when.

Slabs work for more people. More people are more productive on slabs than pkb devices.

All Samsung, Apple at al are doing is giving folks what they want to buy.

Thankfully, folks who are into pkbs still have options.
    Lol, anyone who knows anything about marketing knows that Apple does not advertise products, they advertise a lifestyle. I'm not knocking Apple at all, but they seriously make phones with worse specs at a higher price and people buy them. Why? Because having lower specs and less money somehow serves them better like you say? Lmao, no, it's good marketing. They have convinced the people that they "need" that product rather than the other way around. And Samsung has done the same.

I don't know how many times I need to mention the dozens of people who have come to me when they wanted to buy a new phone either coming from a dumbphone wanting their first smartphone or coming from an old BB, the ones that have told me they absolutely need a physical keyboard, I would inform them if that's their biggest priority there's really only one choice, and yes, I make sure to clarify the app situation to them, and they would be fine with it. all of them except ONE ended up buying either an iphone or Samsung. No other brands, one of those two. And when I asked what happened to "needing" a pkb, they tell me the salesperson told them that was the "cool" or "popular" phone to buy so based on that alone, despite all of their supposed "needs" they went with that, because being socially accepted has become the most important thing to many people.

But hey, I guess you may be right, Samsung and Apple is wasting billions on marketing because the people would have bought their phones anyway because it's what fits their needs best... :-)

04-20-17 04:26 PM
    You must be nuts to buy the s8, you can do it all with the s7 with the same camera and 250 euro cheaper

Posted via CB10
    04-20-17 04:26 PM
    You misspelled "what the sheeple are ordered to buy reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee".
    You guys are hilarious. When Apple came out with the iphone in 2007, what form factor was the best-selling smartphone at the time? Phones with physical keyboards. So if Apple is merely giving people what they want, shouldn't they have made the iPhone with a pkb?? LOL

I'm not at all saying that most people want a pkb, not at all. Even in my example where I talk about the dozens of people who went with all-touch after claiming they want pkb's because of the popularity aspect, they are still the minority. But just because YOU prefer the all-touch, I'm sure it makes you feel good about yourself that "99.9% of people agree with you." so you're quick to dismiss the idea that marketing from these companies have swayed the opinions of people.

Yep, you guys are all obviously just smarter than us dumbasses who still prefer physical keyboards... :-(

04-20-17 04:30 PM
    The failing New York Times is VERY fake news. You'd have to be an ***** to listen to anything they say.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-17 04:34 PM
    Samsung had many PKB phones in the past but they were not successful.
    04-20-17 04:35 PM
    The failing New York Times is VERY fake news. You'd have to be an ***** to listen to anything they say.

Posted via CB10
    Trump is a Samsung guy...
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-20-17 04:41 PM
    Trump is a Samsung guy...
    A recommendation to ...... ?
    04-20-17 04:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    This is a very dangerous path we're headed down. Abort abort!
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    04-20-17 06:47 PM
    The KEYone ain't gonna sell unless BlackBerry mobile do some MAJOR marketing magic to reinvent the brand.

Because it has BlackBerry's name on it - you can forget it.

It also has that keyboard.

Time will tell soon enough.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    04-20-17 07:43 PM
    Samsung had many PKB phones in the past but they were not successful.
    They all came out after the iphone, at first they had real offerings, but at that time Android was in its infancy and honestly wasn't very good. The trend at that time was already set by apple to be all-touch. Samsung didn't really achieve "Apple status" until much later than that. By that time, their only keyboard phones were feature phones or really low-end Androids. And by that time, the all-touch was already the "hip" thing to have.

Again, not at all saying the pkb would be the majority's pick if it is not for Apple (mainly) and now Samsung, but they definitely have stacked the numbers far more to that side than it naturally would have been...

krazyatom likes this.
    04-20-17 08:00 PM
    The KEYone ain't gonna sell unless BlackBerry mobile do some MAJOR marketing magic to reinvent the brand.

Because it has BlackBerry's name on it - you can forget it.

It also has that keyboard.

Time will tell soon enough.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    Agreed.

04-20-17 08:01 PM
45 12