I've been getting my families iphones set up over the past few days. As you probably know you can backup to iTunes or iCloud both over wifi. If you use the encryption feature it will back up the entire phone, data and apps including login information. Basically a full backup which would allow you to restore your entire phone if you had to.

This got me thinking about my K1 and what will soon be my son's Samsung S6 android phone.

Is there a backup program which is capable of doing a compete backup similar to what apple has? I went looking for apps and it seems like they all have short comings or require multiple steps to get a full backup. Some require root access which we don't have (or want) on our K1's.

So what program are you using to get a complete image of your phone? I know having done multiple wipes when I first got my phone and testing with BB UEM (BES), it takes literally hours to piece a phone back together from apps, settings, logins etc. Having a full one shot backup would be beneficial. Does such a thing exist? I'm going to look at Helium which from my initial research sounds promising. No root required.

Thanks,

Roveer
    10-06-17 09:12 PM
    I would love this too. to be able to save a mirror image of everything, my menu layouts, apps and logins etc. would be awesome
    10-06-17 09:17 PM
    at the moment you cant backup and restore everything certain things and apps do some dont android is a mess when it comes to this
    10-06-17 09:28 PM
    Wow. For such a well developed OS it's suprising that there is no true backup solution. I looked at Helium and after an hour and a half of connectivity problems and error messages i gave up. I just wasn't solid enough to consider. Then I found an article about doing a simple backup using ADB.

How to create a full backup of your Android device without root - TechRepublic

I created a few batch files and have now backed up my K1. Eventually I'll try a restore (probably using one of my tablets first) and see how it does.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-07-17 12:42 AM
    Wow. For such a well developed OS it's suprising that there is no true backup solution. I looked at Helium and after an hour and a half of connectivity problems and error messages i gave up. I just wasn't solid enough to consider. Then I found an article about doing a simple backup using ADB.

How to create a full backup of your Android device without root - TechRepublic

I created a few batch files and have now backed up my K1. Eventually I'll try a restore (probably using one of my tablets first) and see how it does.
    Let us know how it goes. And while some find the methodical process to restoring icons and email accounts and twitter accounts and apps calming I find it tedious beyond belief and a waste of my RETIREMENT time!!!!
    RoseBud68 likes this.
    10-07-17 10:28 AM
    Let us know how it goes. And while some find the methodical process to restoring icons and email accounts and twitter accounts and apps calming I find it tedious beyond belief and a waste of my RETIREMENT time!!!!
    Well...

I tried to restore a backup I made using the ADB Backup command on a Samsung S6 and it didn't work. Not sure exactly what happened but It definitely did NOT put the phone back the way it was. I guess the quest for a reliable backup continues.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-08-17 10:23 AM
    Well...

I tried to restore a backup I made using the ADB Backup command on a Samsung S6 and it didn't work. Not sure exactly what happened but It definitely did NOT put the phone back the way it was. I guess the quest for a reliable backup continues.
    I've tried this as well with a test phone I have and while it says it backed up my data I reset the phone ran the restore and nothing we must be missing something.
    10-08-17 10:55 AM
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb.../#post13039827

I thought I would link my post - same question.
    10-08-17 11:02 AM
    Well...

And to Al Moon, too. That is too bad. I actually saved the article and was intended to do the backup. But no point if the RESTORE does not work.

No error message? No info? But some stuff was restored?
    10-08-17 11:41 AM
    One of the biggest issues with backups is the RESTORE. Android is fairly unique in being open for OEM alterations, but that also means that trying to restore, say, a Samsung Android backup on an LG or Sony or HTC or Moto phone is likely to break things, because each of those OEMs may have made changes that are incompatible with the backup, and certainly any custom OEM apps won't move from one phone to another.

As conite has mentioned, Google is addressing this by moving developers to backup all settings and app data to the cloud (to a hidden portion of your Google Drive space) so that restoring on a new phone will only require logging into that phone and accepting "Restore" from the pop-up.

But, again, given the differences from OEM to OEM, I doubt you're ever going to see a first-party solution that backs up icon layouts unless you're using a third-party launcher. And there may also be issues with backing up and restoring base phone settings, though it should work when restoring to the same phone model.

Given how different Android is compared to a single-vendor, locked-down solution, I doubt you're going to see any TOTAL backup/restore solution for non-rooted phones that works across brands anytime soon. Google's built-in solution is as good as it's likely to get, or, if you're sticking to the same brand (Samsung to Samsung, say), then using the OEM's backup - if available - will work well also.
    fockx likes this.
    10-08-17 05:14 PM
    I haven't tried it (yet), but wasn't Helium (premium) something interesting in this respect?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...backup.license
    10-08-17 05:25 PM
    wow. still can't believe android has no proper backup and restore feature.

how I miss the old BlackBerry days.
    10-08-17 07:55 PM
    I haven't tried it (yet), but wasn't Helium (premium) something interesting in this respect?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...backup.license
    I believe all that helium does is perform an ADB backup with an easier to use interface. Having done several ADB backups and attempted restores I can tell you that they do not work. From what I have read without a rooted phone (which we don't want on our BB's, it's not going to be possible to do full backups. Huge bummer for me, but I will find other ways to protect my data.

Roveer
    10-09-17 07:03 PM