Help! The person who had the phone didn't factory reset the phone and it is registered with someone else still. How do I get past this or have the phone completely reset from this stage?
    10-14-19 12:51 PM
    You contact that person and have them remove it from their account... that is the reality of buying a used phone today. Otherwise you bought a brick.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-14-19 02:18 PM
    Is there a way to do a hard reset if what I'm trying works?
    10-14-19 02:46 PM
    Is there a way to do a hard reset if what I'm trying works?
    If you gain access, yes. But the thing blocking you is literally called Factory Reset Protection. - https://www.androidcentral.com/facto...-you-need-know
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-14-19 03:14 PM
    Help! The person who had the phone didn't factory reset the phone and it is registered with someone else still. How do I get past this or have the phone completely reset from this stage?
    This is the first thing you check BEFORE you buy the phone..it is now a brick
    10-14-19 06:35 PM
    Yes. Many things today are tied to an online user account or a password. For example, I bought a lightly-used XBox 360 a year ago, and it had a password on it, but I checked it before buying and after they made some phone calls, they got the password and cleared it out. Without that, the Xbox would have been largely useless, as they had parental controls locked down which disables a lot of features.

Recently, I had to replace a home automation controller for a customer - and it was a 10-year-old model that hasn't been manufactured for 5 years. I had to find one on eBay, but it took 3 tries before I got one that could be factory reset. Fortunately, I knew that ahead of time and made arrangements to return the others when I discovered they hadn't been reset as promised.

BB phones have even more security than your typical smartphone, and it's vital that they remove the phone from their account before selling it, or it's useless to any buyer, and that's something you need to check and verify that if it doesn't work, you can return it to the seller for a refund.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-14-19 06:45 PM
    I understand that this is frustrating to you as a buyer, but it's a critical security feature and disincentive to professional thieves. Knowing that my phone is completely useless for anything but parts to someone who finds or steals it gives me and my clients significant piece of mind.

Hopefully, the seller is honorable and will help you resolve this quickly.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-14-19 08:08 PM