04-26-18 04:54 PM
56 123
tools
    Greetings. Having trouble getting rid of my carrier name in the status bar. When I look at options and search, "show network operator appears" , but upon selection the setting is not there.

I've tried system ui tuner app but can't seem to do it that way either.

Lastly, if anyone knows how I can enable dark mode system menus, or the same for whatsapp, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Get rid of carrier name?-5678.jpg  
    04-19-18 05:24 PM
    Carrier will always show, there's no way to remove it. Perhaps, a third-party app might be able to do it but most require root. The only time it'll go away is when it's replaced by notifications.
    04-19-18 05:39 PM
    I've found tasker to be the least obtrusive so far. certainly better than "VODAFONE UK" . I've also found the easy way to get system ui options on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ by long pressing the settings icon in notification area...
    04-19-18 05:47 PM
    Carrier will always show, there's no way to remove it. Perhaps, a third-party app might be able to do it but most require root. The only time it'll go away is when it's replaced by notifications.
    This. I use AccuWeather and have the current temperature always in the notifications ;-)
    Wezard and jope28 like this.
    04-19-18 08:54 PM
    I do not have my carrier's name in my status bar by default on my Black Edition KeyOne.

It flashes briefly when unlocking my phone, but then goes away. I have no persistent notifications.
    04-19-18 10:35 PM
    I've found tasker to be the least obtrusive so far. certainly better than "VODAFONE UK" . I've also found the easy way to get system ui options on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ by long pressing the settings icon in notification area...
    Long pressing the little gear in the drop down notification shade does nothing..
    04-20-18 01:24 AM
    I do not have my carrier's name in my status bar by default on my Black Edition KeyOne.

It flashes briefly when unlocking my phone, but then goes away. I have no persistent notifications.
    I don't either, what carrier do you have? I wonder if it's carrier specific???

I have TMobile USA.
    04-20-18 01:31 AM
    Long pressing the little gear in the drop down notification shade does nothing..
    Get rid of carrier name?-screenshot_20180420-080402.jpg

Get rid of carrier name?-screenshot_20180420-080517.jpg

Get rid of carrier name?-screenshot_20180420-080523.jpg

This may only work because I spent a bit of time on the adb settings to enable ui tuner. Possibly it doesn't work without it.

Shame BB doesn't enable these features by default given they are running close to stock android.
    04-20-18 02:20 AM
    I don't either, what carrier do you have? I wonder if it's carrier specific???

I have TMobile USA.
    You might be on to something. I have T-Mobile USA, also.
    04-20-18 04:40 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180420-080402.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	435715

Name:	Screenshot_20180420-080517.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	435716

Name:	Screenshot_20180420-080523.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	435717

This may only work because I spent a bit of time on the adb settings to enable ui tuner. Possibly it doesn't work without it.

Shame BB doesn't enable these features by default given they are running close to stock android.
    Ooh OK, did you download the systemUI tuner app from G Play?

Also, using your method, is there ANY way to remove the orange status bar while on power saving mode?
    I only want to keep the little "+" sign on the battery icon, don't need this orange crap
    04-20-18 05:26 AM
    Very sorry, but no I don't see the option. The app (System UI Tuner from Play Store) is quite limited in terms of what it can do; I'm assuming this is a hardwired BB limitation. Other devices using this app can get rid of carrier name and enable dark mode system menus, but not for Keyone unfortunately.
    04-20-18 06:36 AM
    Very sorry, but no I don't see the option. The app (System UI Tuner from Play Store) is quite limited in terms of what it can do; I'm assuming this is a hardwired BB limitation. Other devices using this app can get rid of carrier name and enable dark mode system menus, but not for Keyone unfortunately.
    So your method gives more options than the Play Store one?

If so, how did you do it?

Once phone is plugged in on MTP mode, and terminal is open (I use Mac), then what?
    04-20-18 08:01 AM
    The instructions are in the app. You need to download the software for the android debug bridge (adb). The way I did it is there is a link in the app, I saved the software to my phone, then copied it to desktop via MTP. This is where our paths differ, as I'm on windows not Mac (I opened the adb command prompt in the folder location where it was saved). But there are instructions for Mac users as well. There are about 3nr commands to input (copy and paste from the app) to enable the permissions on the app required for use. Once that's done you should be able to run system ui tuner from your phone. The instructions in the app are a bit vague, but if I can do it after 3 cans of cider anyone can!

There are less options in system menu than in the app (but the app is generic and applies to a lot of phones). Hence why I can see the option for dark UI but it's greyed out and I can't select it :-/ The system options just work better because they're part of the OS not the app (i think. correct me if I'm wrong)...
    04-20-18 08:15 AM
    If you think having the carrier name at the top of your screen is bad, imagine what it looks like on the dual SIM KEYone! If I don't have any notifications, I get the privilege of seeing "ROGERS | ROGERS" at the top left corner of my screen. Takes up 25% of the width! Nothing like being constantly reminded TWICE that I'm getting ripped off!
    the_boon, joseanmx and jope28 like this.
    04-20-18 08:17 AM
    The instructions are in the app. You need to download the software for the android debug bridge (adb). The way I did it is there is a link in the app, I saved the software to my phone, then copied it to desktop via MTP. This is where our paths differ, as I'm on windows not Mac (I opened the adb command prompt in the folder location where it was saved). But there are instructions for Mac users as well. There are about 3nr commands to input (copy and paste from the app) to enable the permissions on the app required for use. Once that's done you should be able to run system ui tuner from your phone. The instructions in the app are a bit vague, but if I can do it after 3 cans of cider anyone can!

There are less options in system menu than in the app (but the app is generic and applies to a lot of phones). Hence why I can see the option for dark UI but it's greyed out and I can't select it :-/ The system options just work better because they're part of the OS not the app (i think. correct me if I'm wrong)...
    I already did this procedure for the Play store app, played with it for a bit but it's only good for hiding certain icons of the top right of the status bar... but why would anyone not want to have as much information as possible available at all times (except for carrier name of course).

I was asking what was the procedure you did to have the UI tuner in the Settings menu, nothing to do with the Play Store app.
    04-20-18 08:36 AM
    Once I had that installed, I long pressed the gear icon in the status bar and it enabled system based UI tuner as per the screenshots above.
    04-20-18 09:05 AM
    Accuweather and putting the temp there works on AT&T, as mentioned in post 4 above. But, SIM cards have a pretty good bit of control over the phone, so I can't guarantee it will work on all carriers.
    04-21-18 08:19 AM
    using tasker atm to minimise. it appears that or the accuweather is the best that can bet done. shame.
    04-21-18 06:27 PM
    This. I use AccuWeather and have the current temperature always in the notifications ;-)
    This. And / or having music playin or on pause from a widget. If u close the Black Player app then eventually paused from ur widget the icon with stay in the notifications. Not sure how it works with other music players. Can try this if u don't want the weather there constantly.

Where I live it's necessary. Weather can go from 30 to 80 between the morning and evening and vice versa, no matter the season, lol.
    04-22-18 09:16 AM
    I've toyed with the weather and music icon. I'm not sure which drains more battery? Leaving the Music app open all the time or having the weather polling.
    04-22-18 01:58 PM
    I'd bet music is less of a drain, depends on the sync frequency of the weather app. I'm sticking with the tasker icon for now.
    04-22-18 02:31 PM
    I'm thinking the Music is less of a drain too. You actually close the app itself and it's not syncing to anything.
    DWonder likes this.
    04-22-18 02:38 PM
    I've toyed with the weather and music icon. I'm not sure which drains more battery? Leaving the Music app open all the time or having the weather polling.
    I've had my phone off the charger for about 7 hours with the Weather being displayed and AccuWeather isn't even showing up in the Battery usage. Neither is the music and I've been playing it off and on the past 7 hours
    Attached Thumbnails Get rid of carrier name?-screenshot_20180422-153843.jpg  
    04-22-18 03:40 PM
    Unless I'm missing something here, is trying to decide which app uses less power to hide the Carrier Name, that important? Can't just leaving it there be acceptable?
    the_boon likes this.
    04-22-18 03:44 PM
    Just use LastPass as your password management app and enable persistent notification. That will take care of the carrier name and give you a fantastic way to manage your logins and much more.

The caveat is the LastPass require Accessibility Service which slows down the OS (by design!).
    04-22-18 03:54 PM
56 123