Is it really worth saving your $550 until next year? If there is a KEYtwo in the works it won't have a higher end chip. So why hold off.
    ikeloyalBB likes this.
    03-03-17 06:59 PM
    Man, this is one of the most depressing threads. So far the majority of responses have been:

1. This is the last PKB ever
    2. This will be the last PKB if the KEYone doesn't sell
    3. All future TCL made BlackBerrys will be garbage after the KEYone.

You know, I can hope that TCL won't mess up BlackBerry or the PKB, but all I can think about is the IBM/Lenovo hardware acquisition; I bought a ThinkPad right before IBM sold it and the keyboard on these models had THE BEST keyboards ever. I could type faster on that thing than anything else I've ever used and they felt good. Fast forward a couple years when my friend bought his wife a new Lenovo ThinkPad. The thing switched to a chicklet style keyboard which was one of the worst keyboards I've ever used.

Please, please TCL. Don't mess this up.
    ikeloyalBB likes this.
    03-03-17 07:21 PM
    Jeez, every time a device is released. Live in the now.
    03-03-17 07:30 PM
    Man, this is one of the most depressing threads. So far the majority of responses have been:

You know, I can hope that TCL won't mess up BlackBerry or the PKB, but all I can think about is the IBM/Lenovo hardware acquisition; I bought a ThinkPad right before IBM sold it and the keyboard on these models had THE BEST keyboards ever. I could type faster on that thing than anything else I've ever used and they felt good. Fast forward a couple years when my friend bought his wife a new Lenovo ThinkPad. The thing switched to a chicklet style keyboard which was one of the worst keyboards I've ever used.

I understand you. Its all coming from the past. Why didn't they open up BlackBerry 10 to App developers? Then we wouldn't be in this position.

OK, TCL have they are releasing 3 phones in 2017. One is the KEYone, and what about the other 2? They cannot think to pull a DTEK50/60 trick (release a mid-ranger do loads of marketing then a few months later release high-end and play it off like it's nothing). What if the DTEK 50 buyers were sick of the priv and just wanted to jump at another BlackBerry but were willing to pay any price?

What I am saying is: if the KEYone is the pkb they are dedicated too then let's stick to it. Even Steve Cistuli said that people want a phone they can keep for at least 2 years.
    If they are hinting at more phones, what are they? We want to know. Let's be brutally honest, BlackBerry is like a challenger brand again and it's literally fighting for survival. It's the hardcore fans that are going to buy a BlackBerry now anyway.

More, this thread wouldn't exist if they didn't hint at more phones coming....i know they need money but let's be real.

The keyboard shortcuts, no matter how wonderful it sounds, are Mike Lazaridis' and engineering team's invention from like 10 years ago....right?

But after all that....i think the KEYone will be superb for power users of all the old BlackBerry keyboard phones. It's basically a Classic/Q20 with Android 7.1!!!!!
    03-03-17 07:41 PM

But after all that....i think the KEYone will be superb for power users of all the old BlackBerry keyboard phones. It's basically a Classic/Q20 with Android 7.1!!!!!
    And a bigger screen, better camera, better better life, etc etc

Posted with my  Classic
    slagman5 likes this.
    03-03-17 07:48 PM
    I'll wait for KEY3
    K3 is already out:
    anon(9710735) likes this.
    05-15-17 05:33 PM
    I absolutely love my KEYone and it's only gotten me more excited to see what else TCL has up its sleeve. When you consider how everyone around here was calling for the death of BB devices after the PRIV launch, I'm really happy to be where we are today with this brand.
    05-15-17 06:24 PM
    I'm still holding out for Super Bass-O-Matic '76

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.3.2205 | Bell
    05-15-17 06:33 PM
    keyone is last BB design. I will get one. Keytwo that will not be BB design. Based on the Idol design/material/process, (color scheme, format, glass backing, slow production release of Merc, etc.etc.) I am not holding my breath. I'll open mind to see what is Keytwo, but not going to budget a kidney for it, not even some "overtime" work. TCL have to convince me to open my wallet and worth every penny... (better not be spec... unless they put the 1998 processor inside ;-)
    05-15-17 07:06 PM
    Is it worth skipping the KeyOne and holding tight and see what other keyboard TCL/BlackBerry Mobile release. Perhaps the 2018 "KeyTwo" will have a minimum of snapdragon 835 in it?

What does everybody think?
    There will likely not be an SD 835 in a KeyTwo. The follow on to the SD 625 ( besides the interim 626 that has been evidently skipped) is the 630.

Either a 630 or maybe a 660.

"... The Snapdragon 660 and 630 platforms are pin and software compatible, ... "
    Qualcomm Announces Snapdragon 660 & 630 Mobile Platforms: Better Connectivity, Camera, & Compute at 14nm

The 630 has the better modem , camera ISP , and some of the DSP non ARM core upgrades that the 835 has. The graphics are about 20-30% better. That means BBMobile could take same baseline design and 'speed bump' it with
    a. a better match of ISP to the sensor ( better pictures if tune up the software).
    b. probably a bit better performance with no battery life drop off.
    c. better 3D graphics. ( augmented reality not necessarily just better games).
    d. fix anything that didn't have time to improve on KeyOne. ( perhaps fewer variants if volume can more uniformly support the LTE modem licensing. )
    e. bump up with another 1 GB of RAM with shift to LPDDR4. ( offset increase with lower power).

I suspect BBMobile will put the 660 in an Dtek60 update (along with new name). Perhaps at 630 in a Dtek 50 (again with new name). At least one of those two. That stuff back may backslide more closer to the Alcatel derivatives they spawn from.
    Or they could copy the Pixel playbook and have two designs that just have different sized screens to lower the R&D costs. and a heftier build than the Alcatel stuff.

What BBMobile needs is fewer core platforms so that BB Inc can more easily keep up the the Android updates and upgrades. Staying with closely aligned 600 series should help on that front as opposed to as opposed to chasing the bleeding edge 800 series.

If they do that then they could deliver a KeyTwo around the time for the Mobility Conference in 2018 and this time ship within weeks instead of this long delay. BB inc keep trying to do "moon shots" when they really needed to just get some improvements out on a regular basis. There is no "magic bullet" here.

if too many folks wait though and the sales are horrible after the initial demand bubble, that will likely scare them into corner cost cutting mode.
    kadakn01 likes this.
    05-15-17 11:17 PM
    Wait for KEYthree.

Posted via one of the Last of BlackBerry's Iconic devices
    05-15-17 11:35 PM
    Correction, it took ages for BB to release it, but TCL only a little while after taking over the development, manufacturing, and sale of the phones to get it out. TCL reps have hinted that we may see another as early as before the year's end or at the latest next year...

Look at the Indonesian phone being made by that other company with the long name. I think we need to get used to the fact that BB is the only company that is so horribly inefficient at releasing phones. It will likely be much better under TCL.
    In BB/TCL speak, as soon as this year means December 31st at the absolute earliest for a limited release of a few thousand units in one country.
    05-15-17 11:46 PM
    There is a chance the KEYone is the last pkb device with the BlackBerry name, so I'd just get a keyone while it is still relevant.
    05-15-17 11:51 PM

More hyperbole man Cb is just full of it.

Firstly lenovo continued the traditional thinkpad keyboard into their x220, t420, etc lines I own one and it's fantastic.

Secondly, numerous reviews have stated that the new thinkpad keyboards are still the best on a laptop. Might not be your cup of tea if you prefer that traditional look and feel (I got myself an x220 before the old Kb was phased out) then that's just your preference.
    05-15-17 11:55 PM
    K3 is already out:
    Use them for marketing and the 12 years olds will consider the phone as hot.
    05-16-17 01:12 AM
    OT
    If you need a phone know (cause you toilet dropped your old, smacked your screen, blew a processor, whatever) and have the cash, buy a K1 now

If not need a phone now, don't buy a new phone now.
    05-16-17 01:15 AM
41 12