Hey, everyone.

I thought I would let the BB community know that, even though it pained me greatly to have to return my defective KEYone, for what it's worth, I had a great return experience with Amazon.

The phone was picked up by UPS Monday afternoon, was delivered and received Wednesday night, a refund was granted by Amazon on Thursday, and my credit card received the credit this morning (Friday).

This was a big relief for me, seeing as this was the largest transaction I have conducted to date with Amazon, and the first time I stepped outside the cellphone carrier box and bought my own phone upfront.

I had no problem activating my phone with my Verizon SIM card and account, and really wanted to love and endlessly brag about and show off my KEYone.

Unfortunately, for me, the device I had proved to be defective when it came to handling additional third-party apps I tried to download and install.

I haven't seen anyone else have this kind of problem, and I hope it was just a one-off.

I'm looking forward to snagging another KEYone in month or two, perhaps, hoping by then that the manufacturer will have all the kinks worked out and any remaining defective models purged from the pipeline.

As of this writing, the phone is still available via Amazon, but from some third parties that want to sell the device for more than $790. Myself, I refuse to pay more than the original retail price.

I'm tempted to switch to Sprint, which is now carrying the phone as of today, but I'll likely hold off until I can either repurchase a KEYone from Amazon or Best Buy at the regular retail price, or until my service provider, Verizon, decides to carry it. But if AT&T beats Verizon to the punch, then I may just take another plunge again and switch back to AT&T.

In the meantime, I purchased a BlackBerry Classic, also from Amazon, and it arrived Wednesday. I had to spend some time with Verizon tech support to get their system to recognize my existing SIM card in the new phone, but it's working just fine now.

I'm still learning my way around the phone (kind of a drag and aggravation to have to learn TWO new phones in just the last two weeks or so), but I think it will hold me over until I can get another KEYone that's ready for prime time.

I'm not hating on the KEYone, BlackBerry or the manufacturer, and I certainly do not wish to rain on anyone else's parade. I think the KEYone is a wonderful phone, and I look forward to getting another.
    07-14-17 10:53 AM
    Verizon and AT&T will likely not carry the device. The age of buying a phone thru the carrier may not be dead but is not necessary. That being said it is unfortunate that Verizon likely won't be selling the device because VVM probably will not function correctly until they sell it; and/or provision the phone in their system to cooperate with Verizon's VVM application.

The only reason Sprint is carrying the device is because they have certain bandwidths and frequencies the other carriers do not use and because to date I don't believe sprint sells unlocked phones. If it were me, I would not switch to sprint for that reason alone let alone the carrier coverage is poor in non-cities.
    07-14-17 11:02 AM
    This is one major factor why Amazon has been so successful. Their return policy and customer service is exceptional. Glad to hear your experience was good but sorry that things did not work out with your KEYone.
    07-14-17 11:03 AM
    Verizon and AT&T will likely not carry the device. The age of buying a phone thru the carrier may not be dead but is not necessary. That being said it is unfortunate that Verizon likely won't be selling the device because VVM probably will not function correctly until they sell it; and/or provision the phone in their system to cooperate with Verizon's VVM application.

The only reason Sprint is carrying the device is because they have certain bandwidths and frequencies the other carriers do not use and because to date I don't believe sprint sells unlocked phones. If it were me, I would not switch to sprint for that reason alone let alone the carrier coverage is poor in non-cities.
    Yes, thank you for that reminder regarding Sprint's uneven coverage. I'm sure I won't opt for their network, the more I think about it. It's hard enough sometimes with Verizon or AT&T.
    portplayer likes this.
    07-14-17 11:09 AM
    This is one major factor why Amazon has been so successful. Their return policy and customer service is exceptional. Glad to hear your experience was good but sorry that things did not work out with your KEYone.
    Thank you so much!

Like I said, I look forward to snagging another KEYone in a month or two.

This was the first time I ever jumped into "early adopter" mode, and the experience I had was a classic reason why.

Hopefully, the second one I can acquire will be problem-free.
    07-14-17 11:11 AM