Hi all,

A client just gave me their fairly new very good condition PRIV. They've replaced it with a Samsung, which I've just finished transferring all their data over to the new phone. They didn't want to sell it, so I took it and have a couple ways I can put it to use.

I currently have a Passport and have been seriously considering a KEYone as I'm into my usual 18-24 month upgrade window and I rarely ever have the chance to get the phone I want when it first launches (only one I ever got close to launch was a Nokia N9, still the best phone I ever had IMHO, but the similarities with MeeGo Harmattan and BB10 were big reasons I picked a Z10 over an Android device 3 years ago). So since I have this PRIV for free, should I still consider the KEYone for $0 on a 2 year Premium+ tab with Rogers, or save my money and stick with the PRIV.

Carrier locked isn't a big concern for me.

Also, is there any way to set up the Hub and BBM on Android to use the Nokia/BB conversation style with outgoing BBM messages and SMS messages right justified and incoming messages left justified instead of the Android/Apple style? Small issue, but after nearly 10 years on NokiaS60/MeeGo/BB10, everytime I look at WhatsApp on my Passport or at BBM/SMS on Android/iOS phones, it's always a challenge to adjust, many times on WhatsApp I've had to re-read the last 4-5 messages of a conversation to get reoriented because I think the incoming message was sent by me. On my brief stint on Android 5 years ago, I used GoSMS to do this, but that only solves SMS, not BBM.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-17 05:31 PM
    I can't answer your question, but understand completely. Meego was an absolutely amazing OS. Meego UI + N9 hardware created a completely mind blowing experience that has never before and never since been matched by any device. It literally didn't even feel like you were "using" software, it just felt like something that would have naturally occurred in nature. Zero thinking or learning required. It just made sense. The device had some sort of haptic feedback similar to Apple's force touch, but even better. It felt like you were actually pressing the screen. And the screen wasn't "curved" by today's definition, but rather shaped like a bubble with a pure black AMOLED underneath. Couldn't even tell if the screen was on or off. The ripple effect when booting up the device looked like actual liquid due to the deep blacks and bubble screen.

You simply can't understand how good it was unless you've used it.

BB10 was similar, but can't even hold a candle to Meego + N9 experience.

OK, completely off topic. End rant.

 C L A S S I C
    06-05-17 01:19 AM
    I would try the Priv out for a few days, and see how you adjust to it. It was free, so no need to rush and make a decision. If you enjoy the experience, and want something better, then I would definitely suggest the KEYone. It is faster, keyboard is easier to access, and the battery life and camera are way better.
    06-05-17 09:50 AM
    Sell the PRIV and get keyone IMO
    JWW likes this.
    06-05-17 10:55 AM
    Just get the KEYone. It's better than the Priv in every way. Keep the Priv as a backup just in case something terrible happens to your new KEYone
    06-05-17 11:02 AM
    I would try the Priv out for a few days, and see how you adjust to it. It was free, so no need to rush and make a decision. If you enjoy the experience, and want something better, then I would definitely suggest the KEYone. It is faster, keyboard is easier to access, and the battery life and camera are way better.
    no its not. the Camera on Keyone sucks balls. its only 12mp and has no image stabilization, the priv camera kicks its butt all the way it offers much better shooting options and has enhanced image stabalization in video, and can take 4K videos...

The keyone has an easier to manage physical keyboard because there is no need to slide it out before using it. However, then again the Priv has the bigger and better screen.

The keyone out of the box seems to have a better battery life, however if you tweak the priv a little you get a very descent battery life as well.

So a breakdown :

Priv Pro's :
    FAR Superior Camera
    Large Beautiful Screen
    Dual keyboards

Keyone Pro's :
    Physical Keyboard
    slightly better battery life
    slightly faster CPU ( i say slightly because there is less than a second difference in opening software )
    Fingerprint reader

Either way, one is better in some departments, the other better in other departments. I think end of the Day it comes down to preference more than anything else. The hardware is not That much faster, the Battery is not That much better.

Now days most people use their mobiles as primary camera devices, so i think most users would lean towards the priv if the camera's are compared, but if camera doesnt bother you and you dont care for a larger screen, then maybe keyone is for you.

On a side note, I think the out of the box better battery life of keyone is more due to Android 7 than anything else, Android 7 comes with Doze preloaded, I think when Priv gets an upgrade it will achieve similar battery stats as the keyone. You can also install doze on the priv, i have, it makes quite a difference.
    06-05-17 11:33 AM
    Have you ever tried the camera on the KEYone? Because, it isn't crap.

It runs the same sensor as the Google Pixel, which is one of the best on the market.
    06-05-17 12:01 PM

It runs the same sensor as the Google Pixel, which is one of the best on the market.
    it is only 12mp and it has NO image stabilization, have you ever tried taking a video while walking or riding a bike with no image stabilization ? ( good luck to you... ) i dont need to know anything else. it is not even in same league as the Priv which is 18mp and has Enhanced image stabilization. these are facts, not made up bullsh!t. The Keyone was made to text, not take pretty photo's...
    06-05-17 03:32 PM
    Ok, so obviously you have no idea how camera technology works. Just because it has a larger number of MP does not mean it is a better camera. Quoting Jerry in his comparison of the two:

>Photographers will love the improved camera in the KEYone. There are phones you can buy that take better pictures, but the jump in quality from the Priv is instantly noticeable. Photos that were marginal with the Priv's 18MP camera can be great using the KEYone's 12MP camera. And if you take your time and work at it, you can take some stunning photos with the KEYone.

Take a few minutes to read the whole thing. http://www.androidcentral.com/blackb...bbIWUg9IbvC.99
    06-06-17 07:28 AM
    it is only 12mp and it has NO image stabilization, have you ever tried taking a video while walking or riding a bike with no image stabilization ? ( good luck to you... ) i dont need to know anything else. it is not even in same league as the Priv which is 18mp and has Enhanced image stabilization. these are facts, not made up bullsh!t. The Keyone was made to text, not take pretty photo's...
    LMAO. You should tell Apple about you genius discovery.
    06-06-17 08:32 AM
    LMAO. You should tell Apple about you genius discovery.
    Which part ? I was only pointing out the obvious. In today's world hardware specs arent a top priority for the general population, they care more about Screen and camera than anything else. if both phones have 3GB ram, both have 32GB internal storage, the next thing users look at is screen, photos and videos... So while Technically the one has a faster CPU, i still think when putting both devices in front of anyone, most would go for the priv.

Image stabilization is a big deal, My old Phone Sony Z3 doesnt have it, and im touring Asia, im often making videos on the go and its a horrible experience when you have a great view and a shaky cam... I can see the Clear difference since i moved to the priv with enhanced image stabilization. The keyone Camera may take pretty photo's on paper, but when i hear "no image stabilization" I wont even bother with the rest of the specs.
    06-06-17 09:50 AM
    I would bet MORE people take pictures with their phone than pro-style video.

Everyone's needs will be different, but as a whole package, the KEYone has a much better camera set up than the PRIV did.
    06-06-17 10:25 AM
    Thanks all for the info. I'm testing out the PRIV, but still using my Passport primarily. Have not put my SIM into the PRIV. So far, I'm not enthusiastic about the move, but know that I really don't have much choice.
    @mvsalvino, you are absolutely right. As great as BB10 is, and as much as it's great to have QNX and security as a priority, it still doesn't match the experience of MeeGo Harmattan and the SwipeUI. I did a Google Image search to remind myself what it looked like, I shouldn't have done that, I'm thinking about reviving my N9 and paying to fix the USB port, but I'd give up LTE, 2017 security, and apps, all in favour of the most advanced, user friendly, and naturally intuitive UX ever designed for a smartphone, it more tempting than people realize. Looking at the screenshots, it still looked modern, by no means does it look dated like older versions of Android, BB10, or iOS, amazing for a 7 year old OS.

Anyways, back to the PRIV and Android. Biggest issues:
    1) lack of swiping, especially to access the Hub (and I can't figure out the purpose of the productivity tab)
    2) <rant>SMS/MMS, BBM, WhatsApp (same issue on BB10 for WA), my outgoing messages are f#+*@&$ on the wrong side, they should be on the left side, and received messages on the right, the way it is on BB10, they way it's always been on BlackBerry (at least I assume so prior to BB10) and on Nokia, the two companies that originally defined the smartphone market until Apple recruited the masses to their cult, lol. The way Apple and Google do sent messages on the right is sooooooo counter intuitive to me. For a LTR language I want my messages on the left, and received on the right, for an RTL language like Hebrew (which unfortunately I can't use well on the Passport, and KEYone likely will be similar, but could use landscape view for that), then my sent messages naturally should be on the right, but am ok with it on the left as my English messages would be. This used to be a common option on Android, Go SMS Pro used to have the option. Drop SMS seems to be the only SMS app with the option to "transpose" the sent and received messages. It's ridiculous that many apps that claim to be super customizable don't provide this option, something so simple and reasonable to ask for. All the apps are the same, and material design/flat design is terrible, give me a nice 3D glossy UI any day (BB10.2 was more preferably to 10.3, although I adapted). You can change the font to anything you want, change the message bubble style, colour, text size, italics, bold, time stamp behaviour, time stamp location, background, emoji styles, and a whole bunch of other options, but not this simple little thing. The problem with Drop SMS is that it's ugly and not a refined UI/UX, very basic, and I don't think it integrates with the Hub. Oh and many of the apps are way too colourful, too distracting, this includes the highly recommended Yaata. Textra looks ok, QKSMS, Material Messaging, and Now SMS are decent, except I can't swap the sent/receive orientation.
    3) App drawer, just give me an active app screen and a couple home screens, that's all I need. </rant>

Why couldn't BlackBerry made a BB10 UX for Android to help BB10 users transition. I know it's possible to pretty much duplicate the look and feel because BBM for Android used to look very much like BBM on BB10.3. Give us choice!

Ok anyways, sorry for the rant about something so simple. Any suggestions? Other than just giving in, and get used to it? If I could write my own apps, I'd make one.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-17 02:36 AM

]

Have you? I have had my KeyOne for a week, and the camera struggles a lot. Yes it's suppiosed to look decent on paper, and takes decent outdoor pics, but everything is grainy indoors usually.
    06-13-17 10:45 AM
    take it from me, someone who's under fire from everyone daily for "still using a BlackBerry" (I'm sure all of us are), I defend the priv constantly - but, frankly, it's heat/lag issues are so bad (and the buttons could be better) that you really need to go w the keyone. sell the priv on ebay right now for a couple hundred $
    06-13-17 11:00 AM
    ]

Have you? I have had my KeyOne for a week, and the camera struggles a lot. Yes it's suppiosed to look decent on paper, and takes decent outdoor pics, but everything is grainy indoors usually.
    Yes, I own the KEYone and have used the camera a bunch. It is a good camera, and works very well for me.
    06-13-17 11:01 AM