I actually use the FM radio on my BB Passport often, so I was curious to see if the KeyOne included one. I looked and sure enough right there on the specifications page it says "FM Radio Supported" (under Networks & connectivity). I hope that's a real FM radio rather than some BS internet radio thing. Are there any other BB android phones that have the built in FM radio? I had the impression that BB Android phones didn't ship with a music player? If so will there be an FM radio app to access it? or are there generic FM radio apps available in the google play store? Are FM radios built in a common feature in other android phones or is fairly uncommon? Either way, for me it's actually a pretty nice value add to the phone if it turns out to be a real and usable feature!
    04-18-17 10:11 AM
    Hello yes confirmed KEYone has an FM radio. Looking forward to this device!
    04-18-17 10:31 AM
    Yes, it was odd for the dtek50 to have it and the dtek60 to not have it. Glad the KEYone will have it. :-)

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-18-17 10:50 AM
    Glad to hear it! I use mine on my Q10 when I exercise. Doesn't use as much battery and no data.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-17 11:05 AM
    Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about this feature, too -- basically all my BB10 devices had it, so it was a bit disappointing when it was excluded from the Priv. I've been using a standalone little Sony MP3 player I have with built-in FM, but I'd much rather have it on my phone (so music cuts out when a call's coming in, etc.)
    04-18-17 11:12 AM
    It's so shady of the phones to disable the FM radio app because they want you to use data. My last few phones:

Curve - didn't have it initially but when I finally got it updated to 7.1 the app appeared
    MyTouch - had it out of the box
    Classic - had it out of the box
    Priv - didn't have it. I've lugged my Classic around with me just because of that, hoping the M update would give it.
    04-18-17 11:22 AM
    Cool! So the DTek50 has a built in radio? which app is used to access it? I assume that like the Passport the earbuds have to be in so that the wire can act as an antenna? In any case, really looking forward to the release of the KeyOne!
    04-18-17 02:19 PM
    The Z10 doesn't have this does it?? And I'm guessing you get your local fm choices

Posted via CB10
    duckduke likes this.
    04-18-17 02:29 PM
    Aplus23 Yes, at least on the passport it picks up your local FM stations. It's accessed through the BB10 music app. I don't think the Z10 has it
    04-18-17 02:42 PM
    Cool! So the DTek50 has a built in radio? which app is used to access it? I assume that like the Passport the earbuds have to be in so that the wire can act as an antenna? In any case, really looking forward to the release of the KeyOne!
    The app is simply called 'Radio' and was created by BlackBerry. And yes, the wires from your earbuds act as an antenna.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-17 02:49 PM
    The app is simply called 'Radio' and was created by BlackBerry. And yes, the wires from your earbuds act as an antenna.

Posted via CB10
    So it is separate from the music app?

Posted via CB10
    04-18-17 03:07 PM
    So it is separate from the music app?

Posted via CB10
    For the DTEK50, yes.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-17 03:21 PM
    No.... Z10 has no FM.

On BBOS devices (i.e. - Passport) you use the native 'music' app. There is an option for "radio". You do need ear plugs attached to serve as antenna but you can listen over wired earbuds, speaker, or BT.

NOTE: To be clearer
    BBOS/Passport/etc.---- use native "music" app which has a "radio" setting
    DTEK50 -- uses a native "Radio" app
    PRIV/DTEK60 -- no FM radio
    Last edited by duckduke; 04-18-17 at 04:02 PM.
    megafan2000 and anon(3641385) like this.
    04-18-17 03:49 PM
    Yes.... Z10 has FM. You use the native 'music' app. There is an option for "radio". You do need ear plugs attached to serve as antenna but you can listen over wired earbuds, speaker, or BT.
    I have a z10 and it doesn't have FM radio... Using a classic now which was one of the many positives moving over.

I'm glad the KEYone comes with it as well.

Posted via CB10
    duckduke likes this.
    04-18-17 03:53 PM
    I have a z10 and it doesn't have FM radio... Using a classic now which was one of the many positives moving over.

I'm glad the KEYone comes with it as well.

Posted via CB10
    You have to plug in ear buds. Then when you open the music app, it will become a radio tuner.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-17 04:03 PM
    The Z10 doesn't have this does it?? And I'm guessing you get your local fm choices

Posted via CB10
    No it does not. Q10 does, however.
    04-18-17 04:06 PM
    I really like the radio on board 2. I also use the radio on my passport riding my bike

Posted via CB10
    04-18-17 04:15 PM
    It's so shady of the phones to disable the FM radio app because they want you to use data.
    ^^This. From what I understand, the FM tuner is built into most current devices, but the telcos disable it to force you to use data. I've missed it from my Passport now that I have the Priv -- looking forward to having it on the KEYone once again.
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    04-18-17 04:16 PM
    ^^This. From what I understand, the FM tuner is built into most current devices, but the telcos disable it to force you to use data. I've missed it from my Passport now that I have the Priv -- looking forward to having it on the KEYone once again.
    I came across this site a year or so ago.

Free Radio on My Phone

Supposedly the carriers are starting to comply to unlock them. Sure most people will never use the radio app but disabling it just so we could use our data is not safe. In a city like New York, it's nice knowing when the cell signals go down I at least have a chance of them keeping me appraised of what's going on after telling me to get the hell out of dodge.
    Sarek1701 and Nathan Conley like this.
    04-18-17 04:35 PM
    Don't be too quick to blame the telco's, (carriers) the Priv has a built in FM radio, but even the direct from BB devices don't have it enabled.
    If I remember correctly the DTEK 60 also has it. No idea why BlackBerry thought it was in our, or their best interests to leave them disabled.

Also, do you have a confirmation that it will be enabled on the K1? Just because it's on the spec sheet doesn't mean you will will actually be able to use it. Though I suspect, and hope, it will be enabled.
    04-19-17 06:38 AM
    So glad it is on there. I won't have to carry around my Q10 anymore.
    04-19-17 08:07 AM
    The lack of FM radio is my number one gripe against my Z10, even more than the battery life!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    04-19-17 09:03 AM
    Nice! @OP Thanks for posting.
    04-19-17 09:23 AM
    Don't be too quick to blame the telco's, (carriers) the Priv has a built in FM radio, but even the direct from BB devices don't have it enabled.
    If I remember correctly the DTEK 60 also has it. No idea why BlackBerry thought it was in our, or their best interests to leave them disabled.

Also, do you have a confirmation that it will be enabled on the K1? Just because it's on the spec sheet doesn't mean you will will actually be able to use it. Though I suspect, and hope, it will be enabled.
    In either case they blame each other. As far as the KEYone radio, in numerous hands on videos (I think including CBK), I've seen that there is a radio app. Whether that makes it to the final product we get remains to be seen.
    04-19-17 09:25 AM
    In either case they blame each other. As far as the KEYone radio, in numerous hands on videos (I think including CBK), I've seen that there is a radio app. Whether that makes it to the final product we get remains to be seen.
    Another area where US Carriers have in the past been a real pain...... and why an unlocked phone might be better.
    04-19-17 10:23 AM
50 12