Well,

My wife severely dropped her KEYone (inside OEM BlackBerry flip shell case) but front flap was open when it landed on cement.

Does it still work, yes!

Are the cracks/shatter damage hard to see through especially when reading documents?

Definitely yes!

So...started to scrounge around all the typical sites where and how much a replacement LCD screen would cost blah, blah, blah.... Let alone the "not so easy task" in doing so.

So, went to Staples roughly 45mins ago buying paper and checking out phones and I see a working KEYtwo LE at $499 but they were completely sold out a long time ago.

Then I ask the salesperson, "I see that your KEYones are on sale from $299 to 229.99.

He checks and BAM! One in stock. I ask to see it and it's completely sealed/untouched!

Holy horseshoes up my a** Batman!!

Big time NO Brainer!!!

For us...our KEYones still does the job for us and it does it well. Would have I preferred KEYtwos? Of course... but not at Full price and they're no where to be seen other than amazon/ebay etc...

Oh well...Brand New KEYone at that price much better than ordering a replacement LCD screen and going through the hassle of repairing it especially at Staples sale price of $229 👍
    Attached Thumbnails Fluked out at my local Staples-75224.jpg  
    08-02-19 05:19 PM
    Congratulations on your find. Surprised to see new KEYone silver models still for sale in stores.
    08-02-19 06:09 PM
    build date?
    08-02-19 07:04 PM
    Well,

My wife severely dropped her KEYone (inside OEM BlackBerry flip shell case) but front flap was open when it landed on cement.

Does it still work, yes!

Are the cracks/shatter damage hard to see through especially when reading documents?

Definitely yes!

So...started to scrounge around all the typical sites where and how much a replacement LCD screen would cost blah, blah, blah.... Let alone the "not so easy task" in doing so.

So, went to Staples roughly 45mins ago buying paper and checking out phones and I see a working KEYtwo LE at $499 but they were completely sold out a long time ago.

Then I ask the salesperson, "I see that your KEYones are on sale from $299 to 229.99.

He checks and BAM! One in stock. I ask to see it and it's completely sealed/untouched!

Holy horseshoes up my a** Batman!!

Big time NO Brainer!!!

For us...our KEYones still does the job for us and it does it well. Would have I preferred KEYtwos? Of course... but not at Full price and they're no where to be seen other than amazon/ebay etc...

Oh well...Brand New KEYone at that price much better than ordering a replacement LCD screen and going through the hassle of repairing it especially at Staples sale price of $229 👍
    Congrats!...

Got my KEYone a couple months ago at Staples for same price (w/coupon). Definitely still a capable device. And yeah not worth the effort in repairing the old when can get a new one for such a low price. On the bonus side, now she has a fresh battery to boot!
    08-02-19 07:57 PM
    build date?
    When I tried to check build date on mine only showed a series of asterisks so assuming OP would encounter similar.
    08-02-19 07:59 PM
    build date?
    How do access the build date again? Just on my way home from work. When I unbox and start setting up, I'll take a look.
    08-02-19 10:06 PM
    Was this CAD or USD for reference?
    08-02-19 10:10 PM
    Was this CAD or USD for reference?
    CAD
    08-02-19 10:12 PM
    Amazing deal! Like the Ikea commercial “Start the car, start the car!”
    08-02-19 10:46 PM
    CAD
    That's a great deal especially with exchange rate.
    08-03-19 07:36 AM
    When I tried to check build date on mine only showed a series of asterisks so assuming OP would encounter similar.
    It's a refurb device... When the device is sent by a customer into Blackberry Mobile TCL the device you get back has stars in place of the build date assumedly because these are reassembled devices using parts from working devices with defective parts. They are Franken-Keys... I have one...
    08-03-19 10:35 AM
    It's a refurb device... When the device is sent by a customer into Blackberry Mobile TCL the device you get back has stars in place of the build date assumedly because these are reassembled devices using parts from working devices with defective parts. They are Franken-Keys... I have one...
    I received a warranty refurbishment Key². It had a build date.
    08-03-19 10:44 AM
    I received a warranty refurbishment Key². It had a build date.
    Or maybe it wasn't a refurb.... Mistakes can happen for the good too....
    08-03-19 10:47 AM
    That could very well be the case dunno. First I heard of that though.
    08-03-19 10:50 AM
    Or maybe it wasn't a refurb.... Mistakes can happen for the good too....
    It was a refurb. In that I was guaranteed by BBMo tech support. That resulted in a lengthy on phone argument about getting a refurbished phone instead of a new phone as a warranty replacement.
    08-03-19 11:18 AM
    It was a refurb. In that I was guaranteed by BBMo tech support. That resulted in a lengthy on phone argument about getting a refurbished phone instead of a new phone as a warranty replacement.
    Maybe someone felt bad and did you a favor... persistent attitude with great personality can do wonders. I have no idea but I'd like to believe sometimes better things happen due to an overflowing karma jar.
    Parker_Lewis likes this.
    08-03-19 11:23 AM
    build date?
    Well,

To my surprise from replacing newly launched KEYone (won it at Crackberry meet in Vancouver) after it succumbed to the infamous early batch screen lift, my carrier (Telus) supplied KEYones both for myself and my wife have asterisks for the date code.

We've had Telus ones since December 17' and most likely new batches (no more screen lift) as they're still going strong including batteries with the exception of course my wife's when she dropped and shattered her screen.

Now with this rarity of a brand new sealed one at Staples... after slowing going through the process of transferring data over from her old one...

The date shows 20181030

Only issue is the new Staples "NON CARRIER/FACTORY UNLOCKED" even with the Telus sim updated twice from the original 7.1.1 Nougat to Oreo 8.1.0 says it's up to date with Feb 5, 2019 Patch ABP819.

Why can't it go directly to BBMobile servers to get the true latest patch since this isn't a carrier phone?
    Attached Thumbnails Fluked out at my local Staples-1115344875.jpg   Fluked out at my local Staples-75239.jpg  
    Last edited by qphone; 08-04-19 at 11:47 AM.
    08-04-19 09:27 AM
    Congrats on your new KEYone.

However, that's not to say that you shouldn't spend a few bucks and get a LCD for the other one.

Why stay with a shattered screen when there are many replacements on eBay and the KEYone is such an easy phone to work on??
    08-04-19 10:46 AM
    Congrats on your new KEYone.

However, that's not to say that you shouldn't spend a few bucks and get a LCD for the other one.

Why stay with a shattered screen when there are many replacements on eBay and the KEYone is such an easy phone to work on??
    True enough! Heck I wanted to replace my original KEYone that I won at the Vancouver Crackberry Meet when the screen lifted but I got a bit too rough and damaged it. I am experienced in replacing/repairing tech stuff (I.T. Guy) but got too frustrated and tried to rush the procedure. Telus came to the rescue and offered me their carrier KEYone so in addition to my broken "original" CrackBerry Meet KEYone and my wife's shattered screen Telus KEYone...

I now have 2 that need to have screens replaced. Might just order the parts and bring both phones to one of our local cell repair mom and pop shops then when they're done, will give to my kids who are currently using our previous DTEK60s. Both have cracked screens (they broke those as they were fine when I gave it to them) as well but still have half decent battery life. At least with the KEYones, those batteries are still like they're new and last.
    Last edited by qphone; 08-04-19 at 12:37 PM.
    08-04-19 11:39 AM
    True enough! Heck I wanted to replace my original KEYone that I won at the Vancouver Crackberry Meet when the screen lifted but I got a bit too rough and damaged it. I am experienced in replacing/repairing tech stuff (I.T. Guy) but got too frustrated and tried to rush the procedure. Telus came to the rescue and offered me their carrier KEYone so in addition to my broken "original" CrackBerry Meet KEYone and my wife's shattered screen Telus KEYone...

I now have 2 that need to have screens replaced. Might just order the parts and bring both phones to one of our local cell repair mom and pop shops then when they're done, will give to my kids who are currently using our previous DTEK60s. Both have cracked screens (they broke those as they were fine when I gave it to them) as well but still have half decent battery life. At least with the KEYones, those batteries are still like they're new and last.
    Good plan.

2 KEYone LCD's shouldn't cost you over $80 USD or so
    08-04-19 01:01 PM
    Glad there was still stock of the KeyOnes in stock for you!

Staples stock of the Blackberry phones has been sort of all over the place.

I had been trying to get a discounted Key2LE for a while, but have given up now. They are currently $499.97 (clearance .97) There was a brief moment they were $399.97, and some people were able to apply the 25% clearance discount on them. $300, great deal. I suspect they were cleared out at that point, and Staples dropped the ball regarding removing display units and so on. They took it off their website though.

I also got a KeyOne about a month ago when the KeyOnes got discounted. It's currently my backup to my Motion.

Surprisingly, the KeyOne is the only one still advertised on Staples.ca website...
    08-07-19 02:07 PM
    ******** means FrankenKeyONE made from parts...
    08-07-19 03:52 PM
    Well,

To my surprise from replacing newly launched KEYone (won it at Crackberry meet in Vancouver) after it succumbed to the infamous early batch screen lift, my carrier (Telus) supplied KEYones both for myself and my wife have asterisks for the date code.

We've had Telus ones since December 17' and most likely new batches (no more screen lift) as they're still going strong including batteries with the exception of course my wife's when she dropped and shattered her screen.

Now with this rarity of a brand new sealed one at Staples... after slowing going through the process of transferring data over from her old one...

The date shows 20181030

Only issue is the new Staples "NON CARRIER/FACTORY UNLOCKED" even with the Telus sim updated twice from the original 7.1.1 Nougat to Oreo 8.1.0 says it's up to date with Feb 5, 2019 Patch ABP819.

Why can't it go directly to BBMobile servers to get the true latest patch since this isn't a carrier phone?
    Just checked myself. My Staples KeyOne does not have a date code. And neither does my Motion that I've had since launch from Telus. Just the way it goes I suppose.
    08-07-19 11:26 PM
    How do you check the date code?
    08-08-19 05:26 AM
    How do you check the date code?
    1. Dial *#2886#
    2. Press Manu
    3. Press Traceability
    4. Press Pass

Date code is shown at bottom

To exit

1. Press Pass
    2. Scroll down to exit