I setup up my unlocked CDMA K1 today and have been trying to get it updated and organized. I went to the Verizon store to get a SIM card since I had a Q10 before. The guy did not make one comment about the phone but was helpful. They called tech support for me so that we could make sure it was provisioned correctly, but they couldn't help with HD calling which I ended up activating myself using the code from the forums (no one had an activated SIM I could try).

The phone is very nice--it looks great, feels good, and is quite responsive (screen and keyboard both typing and scrolling). Coming from a Q10, it does seem huge. I am not sure how I am going to carry it since I usually put the Q10 in my front pocket, but this thing may be fairly uncomfortable. Luckily, I had a dress shirt on today with a pocket that was helpful.

I put a Ringke screen protector (the film not the glass) and a Ringke clear case on it.

I know Android is much different, and I am finding it frustrating at times. But at the end of the day, you have screens of app icons and a screen of open apps (sound familiar?). I know it isn't the same as BB10, but it is not alien either. I do miss the swiping, but I actually don't mind the buttons on the bottom of the screen for navigation.

I am not sold on the widgets and productivity tab. I don't see a huge advantage with either, especially for the BB apps which I would be using the most. I can get all my info in the Hub. As far as setting up widgets on the screen, I also don't see the advantage for the apps I am using. I don't see the difference between swiping and tapping off the widget to close versus just opening the app of interest and closing it.

So far, the Hub and other BB apps have been fine. I have two EAS accounts (Hotmail and work) syncing forever. I also have five calendars between the work account and a Google account synced. I have also synced my work contacts, tasks, and notes without a problem. I love the swiping to delete items in the Hub.

I haven't really played with the camera, and I have only made one brief call. I will test those out more in the coming days. I will be the first one to say that bars don't matter, but I have noticed that they have been the same as my Q10. I have been more concerned getting everything setup/downloaded. So many apps!

So, if I have my text messages coming through the Hub, what do I do about the Messages icon? At least I don't have to go into both to get rid of the spark, but it is redundant. The one reason I see for not hiding it or moving it away is that you can only change the notifications for text messages in the Messages app and not in the Hub which I thought was a bit odd.

Are the app icons on the main screens technically shortcuts or is everything just shown twice between those screens and the app drawer? How do I show an app from the drawer on one of the main screens?

How do you organize apps into folders? How many apps can you put in one folder?

Why is there a separate app for the CB forums when you can access them in the main app? Also, when I go into the forums app and look at my Participated list, I do not see any differences between read and unread (i.e., new post) forums. What am I missing?

Why are apps that need updates not showing up in My Apps and Games when I check for updates in PlayStore? Instead, I have to go to the app itself to see if it has an update. This has mainly been the BB apps.

I went into the engineering menu (or whatever its called) to get my HD voice working. I noticed now that my 4G icon is gone at the top of the screen. Is that normal?

I have two old Q10 chargers. What is the disadvantage of using them with the K1 (I am assuming they may be slower)? Any dangers?

I also put in my SD card from my Q10 which I can see in storage. I have not had any kind of pop-up ask me how I want to use it. I have not taken pictures since I put it in, but I am assuming it will ask me where to save them? Since I did not format the SD card for the phone, should I create folders it recognizes to save pictures/videos in? What is the folder structure typically? Or is it best to reformat?

I will follow up with more comments as I begin to use the form more.

And a special shoutout to Conite for helping me out in the other thread!
    11-07-17 09:05 PM
    I setup up my unlocked CDMA K1 today and have been trying to get it updated and organized. I went to the Verizon store to get a SIM card since I had a Q10 before. The guy did not make one comment about the phone but was helpful. They called tech support for me so that we could make sure it was provisioned correctly, but they couldn't help with HD calling which I ended up activating myself using the code from the forums (no one had an activated SIM I could try).

The phone is very nice--it looks great, feels good, and is quite responsive (screen and keyboard both typing and scrolling). Coming from a Q10, it does seem huge. I am not sure how I am going to carry it since I usually put the Q10 in my front pocket, but this thing may be fairly uncomfortable. Luckily, I had a dress shirt on today with a pocket that was helpful.

I put a Ringke screen protector (the film not the glass) and a Ringke clear case on it.

I know Android is much different, and I am finding it frustrating at times. But at the end of the day, you have screens of app icons and a screen of open apps (sound familiar?). I know it isn't the same as BB10, but it is not alien either. I do miss the swiping, but I actually don't mind the buttons on the bottom of the screen for navigation.

I am not sold on the widgets and productivity tab. I don't see a huge advantage with either, especially for the BB apps which I would be using the most. I can get all my info in the Hub. As far as setting up widgets on the screen, I also don't see the advantage for the apps I am using. I don't see the difference between swiping and tapping off the widget to close versus just opening the app of interest and closing it.

So far, the Hub and other BB apps have been fine. I have two EAS accounts (Hotmail and work) syncing forever. I also have five calendars between the work account and a Google account synced. I have also synced my work contacts, tasks, and notes without a problem. I love the swiping to delete items in the Hub.

I haven't really played with the camera, and I have only made one brief call. I will test those out more in the coming days. I will be the first one to say that bars don't matter, but I have noticed that they have been the same as my Q10. I have been more concerned getting everything setup/downloaded. So many apps!

So, if I have my text messages coming through the Hub, what do I do about the Messages icon? At least I don't have to go into both to get rid of the spark, but it is redundant. The one reason I see for not hiding it or moving it away is that you can only change the notifications for text messages in the Messages app and not in the Hub which I thought was a bit odd.

Are the app icons on the main screens technically shortcuts or is everything just shown twice between those screens and the app drawer? How do I show an app from the drawer on one of the main screens?

How do you organize apps into folders? How many apps can you put in one folder?

Why is there a separate app for the CB forums when you can access them in the main app? Also, when I go into the forums app and look at my Participated list, I do not see any differences between read and unread (i.e., new post) forums. What am I missing?

Why are apps that need updates not showing up in My Apps and Games when I check for updates in PlayStore? Instead, I have to go to the app itself to see if it has an update. This has mainly been the BB apps.

I went into the engineering menu (or whatever its called) to get my HD voice working. I noticed now that my 4G icon is gone at the top of the screen. Is that normal?

I have two old Q10 chargers. What is the disadvantage of using them with the K1 (I am assuming they may be slower)? Any dangers?

I also put in my SD card from my Q10 which I can see in storage. I have not had any kind of pop-up ask me how I want to use it. I have not taken pictures since I put it in, but I am assuming it will ask me where to save them? Since I did not format the SD card for the phone, should I create folders it recognizes to save pictures/videos in? What is the folder structure typically? Or is it best to reformat?

I will follow up with more comments as I begin to use the form more.

And a special shoutout to Conite for helping me out in the other thread!
    Regarding chargers, they're micro sub like the q10? I figured they'd be type-c like the DTEK60....
    11-07-17 09:39 PM
    Regarding chargers, they're micro sub like the q10? I figured they'd be type-c like the DTEK60....
    Figured? They very much are type C on the KEYone!

Posted via CB10
    11-07-17 10:51 PM
    Charger - you need a usb type C cable but otherwise if the charger has a removable cable, you can use it with the right usb c cable.

You slide one icon over another to create folders.

When looking at apps in the app drawer, press/hold on an icon and you can them pull it to the home screen or screens.

When I look at My Apps/games, I see the ones offering updates (which I do manually, I turned off automatic).

Heading to the gym so that's my answers so far.
    11-08-17 09:34 AM
    Charger - you need a usb type C cable but otherwise if the charger has a removable cable, you can use it with the right usb c cable.

You slide one icon over another to create folders.

When looking at apps in the app drawer, press/hold on an icon and you can them pull it to the home screen or screens.

When I look at My Apps/games, I see the ones offering updates (which I do manually, I turned off automatic).

Heading to the gym so that's my answers so far.
    Thanks! Looking forward to the rest of your responses.
    11-08-17 10:34 AM
    Check out other widgets - there are some handy ones. Also Shortcuts. Press the App Drawer Icon and then near the top, are three taps, Apps, Widgets and Shortcuts. Examine and play.

I rarely use the Productivity 'bar'.

I would stick with normal sd-card portability.
    11-08-17 11:15 AM
    Check out other widgets - there are some handy ones. Also Shortcuts. Press the App Drawer Icon and then near the top, are three taps, Apps, Widgets and Shortcuts. Examine and play.

I rarely use the Productivity 'bar'.

I would stick with normal sd-card portability.
    So do you setup your widgets on the screen so they are permanently there or just the swipe to take a peek?

How do I enable normal sd card portability? The phone never responded after putting in the sd card, but it is listed in storage with the correct amount of space and shows the expected contents that are already on there. Where will the K1 save pictures on the sd card if I have other stuff on it?
    11-08-17 12:37 PM
    So do you setup your widgets on the screen so they are permanently there or just the swipe to take a peek?

How do I enable normal sd card portability? The phone never responded after putting in the sd card, but it is listed in storage with the correct amount of space and shows the expected contents that are already on there. Where will the K1 save pictures on the sd card if I have other stuff on it?
    I have permanently placed some widgets on the screen. A clock, a calendar and some others I've found handy. There can be 3, 4 or 5 widgets with certain apps (not necessarily the BB apps). Scroll through and take a peek. Some widgets can be resized. Once on a home page (you can have the same widget on multiple pages), touch/hold on the widget and you may get re-sizing arrows and movement arrows. Some can be expanded to take an entire row.

If you did not get asked and you moved the card to the KeyOne from another device, then it remained Portable. The camera app has a setting to save to the sd-card. Screenshots can only be saved to internal memory.
    11-08-17 03:41 PM
    I have permanently placed some widgets on the screen. A clock, a calendar and some others I've found handy. There can be 3, 4 or 5 widgets with certain apps (not necessarily the BB apps). Scroll through and take a peek. Some widgets can be resized. Once on a home page (you can have the same widget on multiple pages), touch/hold on the widget and you may get re-sizing arrows and movement arrows. Some can be expanded to take an entire row.

If you did not get asked and you moved the card to the KeyOne from another device, then it remained Portable. The camera app has a setting to save to the sd-card. Screenshots can only be saved to internal memory.
    Ok, I will check them out. I am thinking about setting the convenience key for the Hub.

So when you look at your sd card, how is it organized? Are the pictures and videos just saved on there, or is there a file structure?
    11-08-17 04:39 PM
    Ok, I will check them out. I am thinking about setting the convenience key for the Hub.

So when you look at your sd card, how is it organized? Are the pictures and videos just saved on there, or is there a file structure?
    The sd card has a structure much like the internal memory. But you can also create your own folders and subfolders.
    11-08-17 06:16 PM
    The sd card has a structure much like the internal memory. But you can also create your own folders and subfolders.
    I like that I can plug it into my computer and get access to everything like BB10. I am going to format it and then copy back my old pictures on to the media card.

I finally realized that unread forums in the CB forum app have a small blue line on the left!
    11-09-17 08:40 AM
    So I copied everything off and reformatted. After that, the card was blank.

I took two pictures and two videos. A DCIM folder then appeared on the SD card. Inside was a camera folder.

Does the Photos app link just to this folder? I am asking because I am wondering if I should copy all of my old pictures into this camera folder. If not and I create a different photo, will the Photos app recognize the new folder and pull pictures and videos from all folders?
    11-09-17 09:03 AM
    So I copied everything off and reformatted. After that, the card was blank.

I took two pictures and two videos. A DCIM folder then appeared on the SD card. Inside was a camera folder.

Does the Photos app link just to this folder? I am asking because I am wondering if I should copy all of my old pictures into this camera folder. If not and I create a different photo, will the Photos app recognize the new folder and pull pictures and videos from all folders?
    I use a variety of Photo display apps. But they do seem to find pictures in various subfolders. I generally leave the DCIM folder alone (other than copying or moving stuff out as it gets crowded or for backup). But I have a Photos folder for stuff I move there from other places for some of my hiking trips.
    11-09-17 02:13 PM
    I use a variety of Photo display apps. But they do seem to find pictures in various subfolders. I generally leave the DCIM folder alone (other than copying or moving stuff out as it gets crowded or for backup). But I have a Photos folder for stuff I move there from other places for some of my hiking trips.
    OK, I guess I will have to experiment with it.

Only thing I have noticed so far is that my space bar seems to be a bit higher on one side. But since it and everything else so far works, I am going to keep it.

I am really starting to like some of the Android features that I didn't have on BlackBerry 10.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-09-17 02:19 PM
    Also, if you want to continue using your previous micro USB chargers just get a
    USB c-to-micro USB adapter for a few bucks. I'm still using my BB chargers .
    FF22 and texn884 like this.
    11-09-17 02:30 PM
    "Today weather" is great for clock/weather.
    Only fix widget I use. Also there are nice backgrounds you can never have with BB10. I use Shadow Galaxy, ice glaaxy, fire galaxy etc.. depending on device and mood.
    There are very few pop up widgets that are useful, BBM is one, message is another.

Today weather works great in productivity tabs as well.. in productivity tab i have more information.. for example the static on home screen i have the weather with next 5 hrs weather. the productivity one i set it to be next 5 days of weather.
    11-09-17 03:06 PM
    "Today weather" is great for clock/weather.
    Only fix widget I use. Also there are nice backgrounds you can never have with BB10. I use Shadow Galaxy, ice glaaxy, fire galaxy etc.. depending on device and mood.
    There are very few pop up widgets that are useful, BBM is one, message is another.

Today weather works great in productivity tabs as well.. in productivity tab i have more information.. for example the static on home screen i have the weather with next 5 hrs weather. the productivity one i set it to be next 5 days of weather.
    Thanks, I will look into it.
    11-09-17 04:43 PM
    So I successfully synced some photos/videos with my Google account. However, upon deleting them by logging in on my computer, they are still on my phone. I have WiFi and did not select the protect option (I even got a warning on my computer about them get deleted off of every synced device).
    11-09-17 04:45 PM
    So I'm not getting push notifications from the main CB app.

Also, you really should be able to start typing once you open a text.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-17 06:54 PM
    So I'm not getting push notifications from the main CB app.

Also, you really should be able to start typing once you open a text.

Posted via CB10
    I would personally look into yaata (what I use) or some others (Textra) as they are fully functional
    11-10-17 07:53 PM
    I would personally look into yaata (what I use) or some others (Textra) as they are fully functional
    I am fine with the function. The integration is the problem.
    11-10-17 08:42 PM
    I am fine with the function. The integration is the problem.
    No idea what you mean then as soon as I open a text I can start typing.
    11-11-17 01:10 AM
    No idea what you mean then as soon as I open a text I can start typing.
    I have to first tap the typing area to get a cursor. Also, I wish the return button sent the text.
    11-11-17 06:20 AM
    I have to first tap the typing area to get a cursor. Also, I wish the return button sent the text.
    Yaata can be set up to "send when press enter" .
    11-11-17 06:27 AM
    Textra too
    11-11-17 07:36 AM
30 12