It seems logical to use the fingerprint space-bar as a Trackpad like on the legacy BlackBerrys and the classic.

Is this a feature any forum members would be interested in?
    velkod and Barbareren like this.
    01-08-17 12:54 PM
    It seems a little far fetched, but I like that thought!

Posted via CB10
    01-08-17 12:56 PM
    The whole keyboard is a trackpad, like passport and priv

Posted via CB10
    medic22003 likes this.
    01-08-17 01:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    The keyboard is used for scrolling, not like a track pad.
    slagman5 likes this.
    01-08-17 01:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    OP probably means the functionality of the Classic's trackpad.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-17 01:30 PM
    It seems logical to use the fingerprint space-bar as a Trackpad like on the legacy BlackBerrys and the classic.

What difference would that be from using the rest of the keyboard? And no, you can't use the space bar as a "click" function since it serves other purposes like scrolling one page down...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    JD_CB likes this.
    01-08-17 02:36 PM
    Thank you, I'm glad someone else recognizes the difference between the two.

RoseBud68 likes this.
    01-08-17 02:37 PM
    It's a good idea, pixel uses the gesture to pull down the notifications shade, I like this a lot but would prefer to have an option to use as a track pad if it could be worked out.
    01-08-17 04:14 PM
    The keyboard actually has some of the same functionality of the trackpad like granular text selection. It's not just used for scrolling.
    01-08-17 04:56 PM
    Assuming the efficient functionality and usability could be worked out, I definitely like the idea.
    01-08-17 05:56 PM

Given that they couldn't even integrate the track pad function with bb10 that well, I don't think they can with Android. At all.

Not BlackBerrys decision, that's obvious to me.

For example, they added pinch gestures to the android hub. But it doesn't look nice the way it works. I asked their developer, if they can add the animation like it was on bb10. He said no, not possible.
    01-08-17 07:38 PM
    To repeat myself I would like the trackpad in the space bar. The precision of cursor placement would be more PRECISE. Better for corrections on docs
    01-11-17 11:39 PM
    Too nerdy for the average user.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-17 10:58 AM
    To repeat myself I would like the trackpad in the space bar. The precision of cursor placement would be more PRECISE. Better for corrections on docs
    Androids not build for trackpad compatibility, at least not in the way bbos was. I think the fingerprint scanner was a smarter more main stream decision.
    01-13-17 07:11 AM
    Androids not build for trackpad compatibility, at least not in the way bbos was. I think the fingerprint scanner was a smarter more main stream decision.
    Well that's not true one bit! Considering you can attach a mouse to android devices and see a cursor on screen I'd argue the functionality is more integrated than on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-17 01:56 AM
    Well that's not true one bit! Considering you can attach a mouse to android devices and see a cursor on screen I'd argue the functionality is more integrated than on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    And yet, how many Android phones are advertised with mice sticking out of them?
    01-14-17 02:11 AM
    And yet, how many Android phones are advertised with mice sticking out of them?
    None. But the comment was about Androids functionality to produce a trackpad like experience.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-17 02:15 AM
    None. But the comment was about Androids functionality to produce a trackpad like experience.

Posted via CB10
    Still, fingerprint readers are more popular and more useful than trackpads to 99.999repeating% of consumers. And assuming it's a capacitive physical keyboard like the Passport or Priv then cross your fingers for Pointer Mode.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    01-14-17 02:18 AM
    Also it would be a bit annoying having a trackpad in the spacebar since you will always accidentally swipe on the capacitive keyboard

Sent from my  BlackBerry Passport™
    01-14-17 02:28 AM
    Also it would be a bit annoying having a trackpad in the spacebar since you will always accidentally swipe on the capacitive keyboard

Agreed!

Posted via CB10
    01-14-17 03:15 AM

I am 100% for having a trackpad, but for it to be on the spacebar does have a lot of potential issues like you just touched on. For me it's a dedicated trackpad with click function or not. We have the glorified scroll wheel of the capacitive keyboard, so hey, at least it's something...

And for those who say Android isn't made for a trackpad, 50% true. Some old Androids had trackpads, and some apps still give function to them. Heck, use the Android Facebook or Facebook messenger on your BB Classic, give the trackpad a try. It works for both of them. I've found it works in other apps too but can't remember which. If BB wrote it into the software to work in the homescreen as well I don't see why it's not possible. But oh well, the Mercury doesn't have it, just a fingerprint reader that I would have disabled at all times...

01-14-17 08:07 AM

Posted via CB10
    A mouse and trackpad compatibility from bbos are completely different.
    01-14-17 04:58 PM
    Did I miss something, where was the hardware innovation?
    02-26-17 04:01 AM