Finally tried out the KEYone. I won't buy it yet-20170727_165402.jpg

So at long last I got a chanceto demo the phone in CPW Poole attached to a vertical display. Uncomfortable.
    So. after getting au fait with the buttons and controls I started to warm to it.
    The screen and apps work like my samsung J7 but I found the screen less touch responsive.
    What I most liked was the keyboard and functions, which is the sine qua non of the device. I love the predictive accuracy of the KB and the flick up for predictons.
    Ibworked well both in English and Spanish, which is really important. So well done.
    It was connected to wi-fi and internet and youtube worked well. The screen size is smaller but ok. Sound was very goodband loud for most videos and songs.
    OK, but evennwith 50 quid discount I didnt walk out with the phone.
    Why not?
    Firstly I found the phone quality 7 /10. The screen is not flush with the bezel like practically all other phones. and I found the overall feel OK but nothing special. The KPB is ok but looks and feels average quality but works well.
    The clueless employees couldnt remember if the phone had been out of stock or not despite being a very unique one and deapite the website saying they only got new ones in on Monday. 4 in total. Pathetic. The trial phone had a phone log from 12th June so, to be honest, if I buy, it'll be when I'm back in the UK at the beginning of September.
    And who knows? they may have it in Spain by then
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    07-27-17 02:57 PM
    "Screen not flush with the bezel"... has their demo's screen already started to lift??!

Posted via CB10
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    07-27-17 03:30 PM
    (Title tweaked)
    john_v likes this.
    07-27-17 03:35 PM
    No offense, but I'd hardly take a recommendation from someone who played around with a store demo attached to a vertical display over those who actually have it and use it daily. And neither the employees not knowing about the phone, nor the quantity they have on hand, have anything to do with phone quality.

Posted with my BlackBerry KEYone
    ajwan, PALoeza and skinnymike1 like this.
    07-27-17 03:38 PM
    No offense, but I'd hardly take a recommendation from someone who played around with a store demo attached to a vertical display over those who actually have it and use it daily. And neither the employees not knowing about the phone, nor the quantity they have on hand, have anything to do with phone quality.

Posted with my BlackBerry KEYone
    OK. no need for sensitive posters to get all defensive. what's obvious is that it's not top drawer in the quality department. hardly surprising as we' re talking about an in- store review of a TLC "Alcatel" BB badged phone device not a true BB one.

BB design made by a Chinese co. whose business model is low end electrical devices.

Despite that, and if you want a PKB with a BB logo and software, you'll be happy.
    Some people may call me "demanding" , but I think they could still tick the '" should make a bigger effort ." box.
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    07-27-17 04:24 PM
    Well it's someone's opinion and that's all.
    Yes I tried a Samsung S8+ and not buying it.
    And Yes tried a KEYONE and got it as soon it was availble. Loving it nothing like compared to a lot of boring slabs. Good luck
    Ps have my KEYone in Spain. siiii!
    07-27-17 04:26 PM
    Tried the S8+ and I like it less the than S7 edge. Too long and not a big enough upgrade over the S7e. But quality is everywhere.
    My economical interim phone , the Samsung J7 (6) is exactly the same size as the Keyone. Despite being 2G RAM and marshmallow I works perfectly as a work phone. Excellent quality and very functional. And 48 hour battery some days. I feel like I ought to have a "better" phone , and that's the power of marketing.
    07-27-17 04:34 PM
    Thanks for the input. This phone is not for you.
    07-27-17 05:59 PM
    Besides the screen issue it's a very nice device with a great keyboard. The shortcuts are extremely useful also.
    07-27-17 06:40 PM
    I would never look at an in store phone to gauge any of the aspects you raise except for getting a feel of the size of the phone... this is why (using your input):

1. Vertical display - How have they attached the display bracket, sometimes they damage the phone in order to secure and stop people from running off with the device, which of course can affect how it operates, also has it been dropped while being tested in store... we have no way of knowing so aspects like this should be discounted.

2. Screen less touch responsive - Is this a pre-production model, is it dirty (i.e from people pressing the screen and dust in the store), does it have the latest software build and as it in retail mode or user mode, plus the above comments all affect how the screen performs and all of which means you have to discount this when reviewing a phone.

3. The screen is not flush with the bezel - Yep so again has the attaching of the phone display bracket affected the screen have they twisted the device so the screen has moved or is pre-production with the screen issue or has it been dropped by a customer... again no way of knowing so it has to be discounted.

4. KPB is ok but looks and feels average quality - Has it been cleaned, has it had any damage from people trying it, has someone dropped it, have they changed any of the keyboard setting within options and again what setting is it in, retail display or consumer mode.

5. Phone log from 12th June - The log depends on when it was last switched off / on, so I would guess from this date it is potentially one with a screen defect, as CPW have committed to having stock which does not contain any screen issues (which means they must know which devices are potentially defective) it would make sense that any of the original stock is used for display models and therefore have potential issues.

My local CPW rarely have all of the phones switched on for these very reasons, people using the display model which could have numerous issues not be applicable with a device out of the box, then make there mind up based on those issues and walk away... they are always more than happy to open a new phone if you are really looking to purchase so that you can have a greater experience of a none pre-production / display model.

This is why I check the device in store (to get a feel of the size and general look of the device) then check the forums to check the comments (have not seen any where the screen is not flush for example, except on the first batch of devices. Plus no one has really had a bad word against the keyboard and having had a Passport and a Classic it is at least on par if not better in my opinion).

Then I order with CPW online or Clove and if I dont like the device send it back... making your mind up / reviewing a device on an in store device is really like looking at a second hand phone.
    ssirica and nglfmark like this.
    07-28-17 04:48 AM
    Thanks for the input. This phone is not for you.
    My opinion is just an opinion but a balanced one and based on a lot of years' experience. I've said it as it is.
    And actually I'm going to give it a shot as I like the keyboard. Inputting is the most important thing I do on a mobile. But, it's easy to see that many people won't like a PKB, and that the phone really is very niche. Which is good, because it gives the KEYone a huge differentiating factor in the market.

As no-one on here or anyone else I know is going to give me another phone or compensate me for lost time or money if the screen drops out, I'm going to get a second batch phone, and I'd like to get one in Spain and even better with a deal from Vodafone.

If they've arrived in South Africa you'd imagine that the world mobile capital, Barcelona, would have it already.
    07-28-17 04:56 AM
    I would never look at an in store phone to gauge any of the aspects you raise except for getting a feel of the size of the phone... this is why (using your input):

1. Vertical display - How have they attached the display bracket, sometimes they damage the phone in order to secure and stop people from running off with the device, which of course can affect how it operates, also has it been dropped while being tested in store... we have no way of knowing so aspects like this should be discounted.

2. Screen less touch responsive - Is this a pre-production model, is it dirty (i.e from people pressing the screen and dust in the store), does it have the latest software build and as it in retail mode or user mode, plus the above comments all affect how the screen performs and all of which means you have to discount this when reviewing a phone.

3. The screen is not flush with the bezel - Yep so again has the attaching of the phone display bracket affected the screen have they twisted the device so the screen has moved or is pre-production with the screen issue or has it been dropped by a customer... again no way of knowing so it has to be discounted.

4. KPB is ok but looks and feels average quality - Has it been cleaned, has it had any damage from people trying it, has someone dropped it, have they changed any of the keyboard setting within options and again what setting is it in, retail display or consumer mode.

5. Phone log from 12th June - The log depends on when it was last switched off / on, so I would guess from this date it is potentially one with a screen defect, as CPW have committed to having stock which does not contain any screen issues (which means they must know which devices are potentially defective) it would make sense that any of the original stock is used for display models and therefore have potential issues.

My local CPW rarely have all of the phones switched on for these very reasons, people using the display model which could have numerous issues not be applicable with a device out of the box, then make there mind up based on those issues and walk away... they are always more than happy to open a new phone if you are really looking to purchase so that you can have a greater experience of a none pre-production / display model.

This is why I check the device in store (to get a feel of the size and general look of the device) then check the forums to check the comments (have not seen any where the screen is not flush for example, except on the first batch of devices. Plus no one has really had a bad word against the keyboard and having had a Passport and a Classic it is at least on par if not better in my opinion).

Then I order with CPW online or Clove and if I dont like the device send it back... making your mind up / reviewing a device on an in store device is really like looking at a second hand phone.
    Yep, I agree with everything you've said. The young CPW staff were unhelpful and unknowledgeable, but that's to be expected in chain stores. The multiple trials with the S8s I've had were great, and I really do need to feel and try before I buy (and this ditty rhymes too).

I've judiciously factored in the display phone aspect, and that's why I'll be buying, but only when I feel I'll be getting one with glue that can withstand battery heat in the long term.

I've recentloy lowered my spec needs. I don't need a flagship phone. My Samsung J7 covers my workload needs fine. And the Key1 has a higher spec and that nice PKB.

But come on TLC, get it to Catalunya por dios.
    07-28-17 05:04 AM
    My opinion is just an opinion but a balanced one and based on a lot of years' experience. I've said it as it is.
    And actually I'm going to give it a shot as I like the keyboard. Inputting is the most important thing I do on a mobile. But, it's easy to see that many people won't like a PKB, and that the phone really is very niche. Which is good, because it gives the KEYone a huge differentiating factor in the market.

As no-one on here or anyone else I know is going to give me another phone or compensate me for lost time or money if the screen drops out, I'm going to get a second batch phone, and I'd like to get one in Spain and even better with a deal from Vodafone.

If they've arrived in South Africa you'd imagine that the world mobile capital, Barcelona, would have it already.
    Wrong. what does a presentation have do with distribution? Barcelona is NOT capital of World Mobile but simply the City where for logistics / costs is used to Present a Congress! of Mobile tech. Nothing more. Barcelona was the show and the real markets are way far from Spain for now. That is the simple truth.
    07-28-17 07:04 AM
    There's a reason certain locations are called "the old country". Beautiful places to visit, decent logistics but it's "the old country".
    07-28-17 07:41 AM
    Wrong. RIght now, Barcelona is in the top 3 most popular tourist and business cities in the world. It's a dynamic and happening city and the jewel on the Med . Due to the world launch there too Calalunya and Spain should have been ahead of many of the other European and other world countries. It's just common business and strategic sense.
    I'm slightly biased obviously .LOL
    07-28-17 07:45 AM
    LOL!! Ya right. LOL!! Nice launch event but seems you were not there. With overpriced hotels gauging the consumer. Adios.
    mrsimon likes this.
    07-28-17 08:12 AM
    I live there.but couldnt go this year... anyway..light hearted banter apart , gonna bide my time. adéu siau .
    07-28-17 09:36 AM
    OP, remember that part of the price is the free access to the Blackberry apps that have been made to fully complement the device. Things like The BB Launcher, The Hub, BB Keyboard, BB Calendar, Privacy Screen, Notes, Notable, Productivity Tab, Device Search, Camera App, and background apps like ExFAT Driver, HubPlusServices. and all the other apps.
    07-28-17 09:56 AM
    Owning the device for a few days I would rather see a bigger device with larger keys the device seemed too small. Any new keyboard should be at least as big as the bold/classic keys.
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    07-28-17 10:05 AM
    There's a reason certain locations are called "the old country". Beautiful places to visit, decent logistics but it's "the old country".
    "The New World" is also nice for a visit, and has it's own fair share of the world's problems. Just saying.
    07-28-17 10:05 AM

Your points are well taken, honest and sincere. One thing you must know with this site. Talk bad about the next new shiny ball of tin and look out. Same thing happened to me years ago. My company (I am the owner) received the new Priv. I reported on how almost half of the shipment was defective. Well with the response you though I killed someone's mother. Nature of the beast today, please do not cloud my mind with facts or opinions that I do not agree with.
    mrsimon likes this.
    07-28-17 02:02 PM
    Your points are well taken, honest and sincere. One thing you must know with this site. Talk bad about the next new shiny ball of tin and look out. Same thing happened to me years ago. My company (I am the owner) received the new Priv. I reported on how almost half of the shipment was defective. Well with the response you though I killed someone's mother. Nature of the beast today, please do not cloud my mind with facts or opinions that I do not agree with.
    Hello
    That is a completely false statement because everything on this site is accepted. It's more have seen it other sites for Samsung or Apple where it seems one "happy" family. While at @CrackBerry there is joy, criticism, support, etc...just take read at the threads for example screen drops..
    Now because someone / OP makes a statement and yes no doubt his opinion, does not mean we all have too agree. What can be criticized is making statements on non valid assumptions. We all have opinions and the end they are just that.
    Have a good day!
    07-28-17 02:09 PM
    Thatguyusa has hit it on the head. No assumptions made. it's a subjective opinion given on a personal physical inspection in a clear context without any value judgements.
    Stop defending the brand or the model. It's not personal. That job is up to paid TLC and BB employees and managers.
    We're talking about a physical device and our opinons about it, both positive and negative.
    There's no conspiracy going on.
    07-28-17 02:25 PM
    We can all the support, defend or whatever. Like I said before all opinions are valid. A so called inspection of a display device not conclusive enough to reach conlusions. When I was at MWC2017 all devices where secured by cables and reviewers professional ones that is all said...when we have device in hand we will publish final conclusion. Anything before that is inconclusive .
    Last edited by Rico4you; 07-28-17 at 02:53 PM.
    07-28-17 02:36 PM
    Hello
    That is a completely false statement because everything on this site is accepted. It's more have seen it other sites for Samsung or Apple where it seems one "happy" family. While at @CrackBerry there is joy, criticism, support, etc...just take read at the threads for example screen drops..
    Now because someone / OP makes a statement and yes no doubt his opinion, does not mean we all have too agree. What can be criticized is making statements on non valid assumptions. We all have opinions and the end they are just that.
    Have a good day!
    We can agree to disagree, attack the newest phone and be ready. While most people will just chime in and that's good. You will be attacked.
    07-28-17 02:51 PM
31 12