When you do this, is it fully locked, or just on the lock screen? I mean my priv lets me in without a password if it's not actually been fully locked at the point that I last put it down.
    OP has stated it is not locked.
    05-19-17 08:33 AM
    Hello,

I just figured out that the fingerprint sensor recognizes everything.

I had 4 fingers configured and today I tried some other fingers (of myself) and nearly every finger unlocked my KEYone. You have to try it several times. After some tries the phone got unlocked.

Even more worse: I tried parts of my hand, where is no fingerprint and even that worked. So:

The finger print sensor is worthless in terms of security.
    Do you have a bionic arm, by any chance? Usually the fingerprints are generic from finger to finger. At least that's how the original prosthetic skin was designed by Rudy Wells.
    05-19-17 09:53 AM
    No.
    Oh

Posted via CB10
    05-19-17 09:53 AM
    No.
    VB interview with BB's David Kleidermarcher re: Priv launch 11/06/15:

"We’ve never put a fingerprint scanner on our devices because we think of it as a relatively weak authentication system."

https://venturebeat.com/2015/11/06/b...y-android-now/

*EDIT*

I should add this is not the only article I came across with BB citing security as the main reason they weren't interested in developing a consumer grade FP scanner for the Priv or any other BB before that, it was just the first in my Google search. This was a technology that BB had started looking into since at least 2010, so even with a minimum of 5 years worth of research at that time they weren't satisfied FP scanners were at all secure. My own opinion of them is that they're a mild convenience but nothing I'd be betting the security of any of my devices on.
    Last edited by A Noise Annoys; 05-19-17 at 12:26 PM. Reason: In addition........
    05-19-17 10:31 AM
    I assume the picture password is not present on the KEYone? Can someone confirm? I'm going to miss that.
    05-19-17 10:55 AM
    I assume the picture password is not present on the KEYone? Can someone confirm? I'm going to miss that.
    I asked the same question and the answer was "yes". I believe it's called by another name, but it is "picture password "

Posted using Z30 on CB
    05-19-17 11:14 AM
    I asked the same question and the answer was "yes". I believe it's called by another name, but it is "picture password "

Posted using Z30 on CB
    Yes! I'll most likely revert to using this after trying out the finger scanner.
    05-19-17 12:13 PM
    Do you have a bionic arm, by any chance? Usually the fingerprints are generic from finger to finger. At least that's how the original prosthetic skin was designed by Rudy Wells.
    Now I'm happy... gotta look me up some old $6m Dollar man episodes
    terminatorx likes this.
    05-19-17 12:19 PM
    Don't forget even if it worked perfectly people can grab your finger and unlock your phone. Long passwords or BB picture passwords are impossible to "steal" unless they watch you put it in a bajillion times.
    05-19-17 12:34 PM
    VB interview with BB's David Kleidermarcher re: Priv launch 11/06/15:

"We’ve never put a fingerprint scanner on our devices because we think of it as a relatively weak authentication system."

https://venturebeat.com/2015/11/06/b...y-android-now/

*EDIT*

I should add this is not the only article I came across with BB citing security as the main reason they weren't interested in developing a consumer grade FP scanner for the Priv or any other BB before that, it was just the first in my Google search. This was a technology that BB had started looking into since at least 2010, so even with a minimum of 5 years worth of research at that time they weren't satisfied FP scanners were at all secure. My own opinion of them is that they're a mild convenience but nothing I'd be betting the security of any of my devices on.
    The question was "is this a common problem?" not an inquiry into why BlackBerry changed their stance on adding a reader. No, it is not a common problem.
    05-19-17 12:38 PM
    Don't forget even if it worked perfectly people can grab your finger and unlock your phone. Long passwords or BB picture passwords are impossible to "steal" unless they watch you put it in a bajillion times.
    Slightly off topic, but picture password has been shown to be easily bypassed if anyone is paying attention.
    05-19-17 12:41 PM
    As long as my wife can't get into my phone. I'm fine.

But I do understand those with higher security needs. LOL
    05-19-17 01:26 PM
    So if the phone is unlocked why does it still ask for a fingerprint? Don't you just have to swipe up on the screen?
    It's for convenience, as some Android allow you to unlock with FPS without pressing the Home button
    So it will immediately go to Home screen. Its mainly to avoid unintentional dialing etc... As well if the phone is in your pocket.
    05-19-17 03:25 PM
    No it's not there

Posted using Z30 on CB
    KEYᵒⁿᵉ only has Swipe, PIN, Pattern and Fingerprint as far as I can see
    Slightly off topic, but picture password has been shown to be easily bypassed if anyone is paying attention.
    I'd like to see how? Hope you're not mixing it with face lock or tap on photos (like on Windows phones). Picture Password is placing random numbers somewhere on the screen at a spot.

If anyone is paying attention, chances are they'll see your PIN far easier than the BlackBerry Picture password.
    05-19-17 04:41 PM
    I'd like to see how? Hope you're not mixing it with face lock or tap on photos (like on Windows phones). Picture Password is placing random numbers somewhere on the screen at a spot.
    Someone just futzing around could easily accidentally guess it because Picture Password only checks that the right number is in the right spot. It doesn't care how it got there.
    05-19-17 08:54 PM
    Someone just futzing around could easily accidentally guess it because Picture Password only checks that the right number is in the right spot. It doesn't care how it got there.
    Easily said than done. Used Passport for a year and found nobody "easily" and "accidentally" guess it.

Note that number of tries to unlock is also limited. Still not convinced it's that easy to break.
    05-19-17 09:00 PM

If anyone is paying attention, chances are they'll see your PIN far easier than the BlackBerry Picture password.
    There's​ a thread about it around here somewhere. Long story short is all anyone needs to do is mark where the grid stops to unlock, and as long as that grid repeats there's an excellent chance of unlocking without actually knowing the correct digit or true location.
    05-20-17 01:07 AM
    There's​ a thread about it around here somewhere. Long story short is all anyone needs to do is mark where the grid stops to unlock, and as long as that grid repeats there's an excellent chance of unlocking without actually knowing the correct digit or true location.
    Interesting. They have to be really looking, plus it needs to be repeating as well. That's still more secure than a PIN if someone is watching that carefully.

I don't think that can be classified as broken or less secure.
    05-20-17 01:16 AM
    Interesting. They have to be really looking, plus it needs to be repeating as well. That's still more secure than a PIN if someone is watching that carefully.

I don't think that can be classified as broken or less secure.
    I'm in agreement, it's not broken by a long shot; it's just not as ironclad as a 20-digit alphanumeric password. Levels of entropy ftw.
    05-20-17 01:20 AM
    No it's not there

KEYᵒⁿᵉ only has Swipe, PIN, Pattern and Fingerprint as far as I can see

What? No picture password? :/
    05-20-17 01:45 AM
    What? No picture password? :/
    At least I can't see it on mine. I do have Work profile via Android for Work, but don't believe it'll hide it. It did disable my swipe to unlock as you can see it in the screenshot.
    05-20-17 01:55 AM
    That's still more secure than a PIN
    Disagreed. Entropy with a PIN is much higher than Picture Password. But at least Picture Password is better than Pattern.

Leaving aside security for a moment, PIN or regular password lets me open my phone one-handed and without touching the screen. That's a plus, to me.
    05-20-17 07:00 AM
    Disagreed. Entropy with a PIN is much higher than Picture Password. But at least Picture Password is better than Pattern.

Leaving aside security for a moment, PIN or regular password lets me open my phone one-handed and without touching the screen. That's a plus, to me.
    Isn't the problem with PIN passwords on mobile phones more related to the fact that someone who is looking over your shoulder can easily glean it? This risk is significantly decreased with picture password.. (obviously not completely diminished).

Posted via CB10
    05-20-17 07:26 AM
    Easily is a slight exaggeration.
    Apparently they would have a 41% chance of success.
    05-20-17 08:23 AM
    There's​ a thread about it around here somewhere.
    Here's the thread if anyone's interested: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ility-1100048/
    Read the first post carefully! The first few replies were quick denials before people understood what the OP was actually getting at.
    05-20-17 08:27 AM
78 1234