Can this be helped to some extent by a factory reset though? This is my first ever Android device and while I have heard of this argument I don't really understand it. Why will it lag over time? Due to more usage? Or is there a secret Android protocol to slow things down after time?
    I am not by any stretch of imagination an android authority but I have read in this forum:
    1.- android handles multitasking keeping the app running, so with more RAM you will be able to have more apps up and running
    2.- it is a fact of life that apps will be updated and sadly, new versions will be using more resources, so I can imagine that the same app will need more RAM to stay running in near future

I will say that a factory reset should clean everything up, but then you need to start from scratch, if you just restore a backup I guess you would also bring over some of whatever android didn't handle well regarding memory management with apps etc

To me, if you have the extra money and can get both, I would go with the better specs for a longer ownership
    09-02-17 03:46 PM
    When you DO try them please do share your next opinion. good luck
    Just because you have used both doesn't mean that any other opinion is worthless... and remember, we are talking about a phone, not a family member, so relax and let's talk about it...
    09-02-17 03:49 PM
    Just because you have used both doesn't mean that any other opinion is worthless... and remember, we are talking about a phone, not a family member, so relax and let's talk about it...
    Again you reach conclusions on facts not proven just opinions. But I on the other hand respect all. Like I said good luck with your conclusions.
    09-02-17 05:49 PM
    Again you reach conclusions on facts not proven just opinions. But I on the other hand respect all. Like I said good luck with your conclusions.
    Ok sir, whatever... gee, just for a phone...
    09-02-17 05:51 PM
    Tried side by side Silver and Black KEYones in Berlin. Opened 12 apps in both and only noticed a slight NON refresh on the Black one when went to recent and opened apps from there. Speed wise both running the same.
    Thanks for that. I guess that answers my question.
    I think KEYᵒⁿᵉ isn't that of a productivity device as marketed but yes it's a beast of a phone when it comes to the battery.

The bottleneck is mainly in the optimisation and the processor.
    09-02-17 06:07 PM
    Tried side by side Silver and Black KEYones in Berlin. Opened 12 apps in both and only noticed a slight NON refresh on the Black one when went to recent and opened apps from there. Speed wise both running the same.
    You see, here's the problem the benefits are not immediate but reveal themselves in the long term, especially when OS updates and App updates come in.

Sitting in a shop and trying 2 phones for a few mins doesn't tell the full story.
    09-03-17 01:54 AM
    but you lose a great looking phone for a generic all black device.
    Do you buy a phone for it's looks or capabilities?

Personally I couldn't careless if it looks like every other phone out there, as long as it gets my tasks done efficiently.

If you want attention, get a Red Edition iPhone 7 Plus or a Coral Blue Galaxy S8+.
    09-03-17 01:57 AM
    Both the design and functionality of the keyone impress me. It was made to be efficient. If you can't get efficiency out of the 3gig ram, you aren't using it right.
    eldeadache and BLu like this.
    09-03-17 04:48 AM
    What do people actually do and expect of their phone anyway?
    09-03-17 04:50 AM
    What do people actually do and expect of their phone anyway?
    That's the question. Unless people compare apples to apples it doesn't make sense. I know drivers who wouldn't look at a car with less than 300 brake horsepower, and I know others who just want fuel economy. They could never agree on which is the "best" car.

Even if I had a choice between the 3/32 and 4/64 KEYone, I wouldn't pay more than $40 for the higher specs. There's no value there for me. I'd rather spend that money on something else.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    FF22 likes this.
    09-06-17 12:13 PM
    You see, here's the problem the benefits are not immediate but reveal themselves in the long term, especially when OS updates and App updates come in.

Sitting in a shop and trying 2 phones for a few mins doesn't tell the full story.
    Haha, you think many people nowadays would keep a phone longer than 1.5-2 years tops? Maybe in America where you have 3 year contracts for phones, which are forbidden by law in a couple of EU countries such as mine, but I can't imagine many people commit themselves to a 3 year contract and certainly not with this mid-range device. I think BlackBerry users are not necessarily different from Apple or Samsung users when it comes to new devices. I think once it becomes clear that TCL will launch a KeyOne 2 and a concrete launch date will be set, people will be all over it again and will ditch the first KeyOne generation ASAP (especially those who bought without contract). So in the end it does not even matter if the device will become slower in a year or so from now because it'll be time to upgrade anyways. Lifespan of a smartphone ends before the lagginess becomes unbearable. Just my $0.02.
    09-06-17 02:11 PM
    Haha, you think many people nowadays would keep a phone longer than 1.5-2 years tops? Maybe in America where you have 3 year contracts for phones, which are forbidden by law in a couple of EU countries such as mine, but I can't imagine many people commit themselves to a 3 year contract and certainly not with this mid-range device. I think BlackBerry users are not necessarily different from Apple or Samsung users when it comes to new devices. I think once it becomes clear that TCL will launch a KeyOne 2 and a concrete launch date will be set, people will be all over it again and will ditch the first KeyOne generation ASAP (especially those who bought without contract). So in the end it does not even matter if the device will become slower in a year or so from now because it'll be time to upgrade anyways. Lifespan of a smartphone ends before the lagginess becomes unbearable. Just my $0.02.
    FYI,

Contracts are rare in the US now. Carriers offer financing for the phones, but you can pay off the balance anytime you want with no penalty.

Personally, I keep phones as long as possible because I have better things to spend my money on. I consider three years a minimum. I've owned a total of 4 phones in the past 16 years.

joewoo and eldeadache like this.
    09-06-17 02:25 PM
    Both the design and functionality of the keyone impress me. It was made to be efficient. If you can't get efficiency out of the 3gig ram, you aren't using it right.
    So one must adjust themselves to it?

Luckily not all OEMs think like this, or we'd all still be stuck with Windows Mobile 5 devices, "using them right".
    Barbareren likes this.
    09-06-17 03:18 PM
    FYI,

Contracts are rare in the US now. Carriers offer financing for the phones, but you can pay off the balance anytime you want with no penalty.

Personally, I keep phones as long as possible because I have better things to spend my money on. I consider three years a minimum. I've owned a total of 4 phones in the past 16 years.

Props to you... I think I bought 4 in the past year!
    09-06-17 03:28 PM
    Right. Please do explain how I'm not 'using it right' when I cannot even do basic multitasking on a smartphone in 2017 due to insufficient RAM/inefficient RAM management by the OS?
    09-06-17 03:48 PM
    Props to you... I think I bought 4 in the past year!
    Definitely props to him. Yea, I'm a serial phone flilpper also. Every year to one and a half years tops, I purchase a new daily driver. Only phone I ever kept and not sold was my Bold 9900. I still use it for certain apps. I just cannot imagine having a phone longer than 1.5 years. It would bore me to tears. Yes, I still have the Priv (which has been downgraded as a private device now from being my daily driver), but the only reason I still have that phone is because of the initial screen lifting issues of the KeyOne. Normally I'm an early adopter with every phone I buy. Thank God, I wasn't this time around. A couple of releases in various countries later, my country was getting the KeyOne a few months after the UK Selfridges exclusive release, and Crackberry was flooded with screen lifting stories by then, so obviously I decided to cancel my purchase plans for the time being. I ain't no thief of my own wallet. But I am planning to buy the black KeyOne any time now. After seeing the new Jerry Rig video I'm confident that BB fixed the issue for all devices after late June. I'm already crying my eyeballs out just thinking about how little money I will get for the Priv knowing I paid E700 for it. Terrible.
    09-06-17 04:04 PM
    Right. Please do explain how I'm not 'using it right' when I cannot even do basic multitasking on a smartphone in 2017 due to insufficient RAM/inefficient RAM management by the OS?
    If it can be done on a device released with in 2014, there shouldn't be any issues on Nougat in 2017, considering the memory management has improved with every upgrade. Perhaps try examining the apps being used.
    09-06-17 04:29 PM
    Definitely props to him. Yea, I'm a serial phone flilpper also. Every year to one and a half years tops, I purchase a new daily driver. Only phone I ever kept and not sold was my Bold 9900. I still use it for certain apps. I just cannot imagine having a phone longer than 1.5 years. It would bore me to tears. Yes, I still have the Priv (which has been downgraded as a private device now from being my daily driver), but the only reason I still have that phone is because of the initial screen lifting issues of the KeyOne. Normally I'm an early adopter with every phone I buy. Thank God, I wasn't this time around. A couple of releases in various countries later, my country was getting the KeyOne a few months after the UK Selfridges exclusive release, and Crackberry was flooded with screen lifting stories by then, so obviously I decided to cancel my purchase plans for the time being. I ain't no thief of my own wallet. But I am planning to buy the black KeyOne any time now. After seeing the new Jerry Rig video I'm confident that BB fixed the issue for all devices after late June. I'm already crying my eyeballs out just thinking about how little money I will get for the Priv knowing I paid E700 for it. Terrible.
    I buy other toys, most of which, unfortunately are more expensive. LOL

09-06-17 04:33 PM
    If it can be done on a device released with in 2014, there shouldn't be any issues on Nougat in 2017, considering the memory management has improved with every upgrade. Perhaps try examining the apps being used.
    The apps in use are common, major apps like Facebook and Chrome and other basic Google and BlackBerry apps. There is a well-known 'app redraw' issue on the K1 which (obviously) affects true multitasking. Please see my post on the previous page of this thread for a 'real world' example of what I'm talking about.

If this is 'improved memory management' someone should be fired. In regards to RAM management Android was better in its earlier incarnations, from my personal experience.
    09-06-17 04:37 PM
    The apps in use are common, major apps like Facebook and Chrome and other basic Google and BlackBerry apps. There is a well-known 'app redraw' issue on the K1 which (obviously) affects true multitasking. Please see my post on the previous page of this thread for a 'real world' example of what I'm talking about.

If this is 'improved memory management' someone should be fired. In regards to RAM management Android was better in its earlier incarnations, from my personal experience.
    I don't use the Facebook app nor Chrome. Using Samsung's browser on my G6 with Nougat 7.0, I can start a post on Facebook or CB and leave it hanging while I do other things for quite some time without it refreshing. Same goes for every other messaging and app where I enter text into a field. As to why I use Samsung browser, it's because Chrome refreshes and loses its place on pages and dumps text in fields.
    09-06-17 04:47 PM
    I don't use the Facebook app nor Chrome. Using Samsung's browser on my G6 with Nougat 7.0, I can start a post on Facebook or CB and leave it hanging while I do other things for quite some time without it refreshing. Same goes for every other messaging and app where I enter text into a field. As to why I use Samsung browser, it's because Chrome refreshes and loses its place on pages and dumps text in fields.
    Good for you. On the K1, however, I now have to copy every piece of text I write before switching to other apps in order to make sure the app won't 'redraw' when I switch back to it. That should simply not be necessary, and it's certainly not something I would call 'improved memory management'. I wouldn't know if this is a Nougat 7.1.1 issue or K1 specific issue.
    09-06-17 05:01 PM
    Good for you. On the K1, however, I now have to copy every piece of text I write before switching to other apps in order to make sure the app won't 'redraw' when I switch back to it. That should simply not be necessary, and it's certainly not something I would call 'improved memory management'. I wouldn't know if this is a Nougat 7.1.1 issue or K1 specific issue.
    Sounds like there's some sort of hiccup if it's happening everywhere, that's not normal.
    09-06-17 06:17 PM
    Here is an example of my open apps (at least according to the open apps screen (a few others are probably active in the background - like WhatsApp and system apps)) and how little it takes for an app to be 'redrawn' i.e. restarting; sometimes resulting in loss of information. So, the apps that are open are Facebook, Chrome, Crackberry, a podcast app and Google Translate. That was enough to make both Facebook and Chrome redraw themselves. Am I not 'using the phone right'? According to the system settings I have 0.5GB of free RAM.

The question now is: Would this problem persist if I had one more gigabyte of RAM? Or is it just Android Nougat's abysmal memory management that is at fault?
    Attached Thumbnails Is the extra RAM in the black edition worth it?-59230.jpg  
    09-06-17 06:21 PM
    Here is an example of my open apps (at least according to the open apps screen (a few others are probably active in the background - like WhatsApp and system apps)) and how little it takes for an app to be 'redrawn' i.e. restarting; sometimes resulting in loss of information. So, the apps that are open are Facebook, Chrome, Crackberry, a podcast app and Google Translate. That was enough to make both Facebook and Chrome redraw themselves. Am I not 'using the phone right'? According to the system settings I have 0.5GB of free RAM.

The question now is: Would this problem persist if I had one more gigabyte of RAM? Or is it just Android Nougat's abysmal memory management that is at fault?
    I have 4GB of RAM and 333MB available, which is up from the 3GB RAM and ~300MB usually available from my G3, which performed nearly the same. Android's memory management is actually very good. I'd seriously look at the apps used, particularly Facebook. Chrome isn't so bad, but it refreshes whenever it gets focus again. Facebook is a known resource and system strangler. Not the word I would normally use but children might be reading.
    09-06-17 06:33 PM
    I have 4GB of RAM and 333MB available, which is up from the 3GB RAM and ~300MB usually available from my G3, which performed nearly the same. Android's memory management is actually very good. I'd seriously look at the apps used, particularly Facebook. Chrome isn't so bad, but it refreshes whenever it gets focus again. Facebook is a known resource and system strangler. Not the word I would normally use but children might be reading.
    What exactly do you mean by "seriously look at the apps used"? Sure, Facebook is a memory hog and it has used 134MB during the last 3 hours. But so what? Google Translate has only used 3MB and it redraws as well. Again, how on earth is this " good memory management"?

EDIT: Oh, and even with Facebook open and using so much RAM I still have over 500MB free according to the system settings. So, why any of the apps would need to be 'redrawn' is beyond my comprehension...
    Last edited by Barbareren; 09-06-17 at 07:09 PM.
    09-06-17 06:52 PM
101 12345