What exactly do you mean by "seriously look at the apps used"? Sure, Facebook is a memory hog and it has used 134MB during the last 3 hours. But so what? Google Translate has only used 3MB and it redraws as well. Again, how on earth is this " good memory management"?

EDIT: Oh, and even with Facebook open and using so much RAM I still have over 500MB free according to the system settings. So, why any of the apps would need to be 'redrawn' is beyond my comprehension...
    When was the last time you cleared the cache data and rebooted? While I've entertained myself not doing either, it does result in redrawing. After performing that maintenance, I've no issues. You may also want to check your battery optimization settings. If you have it on for some of those apps, that could be the issue.

Caveats...
    I don't use most of the apps you do, and one or more of them may be a performance hog. I also don't typically leave many apps open. Ultimately an extra gig of RAM could only help someone who does, but they shouldn't expect the same battery life too. For me, the KEYᵒᵍ is perfect. For you, maybe not so much.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    09-07-17 07:56 AM
    My usage is the same as yours I don't leave many apps open and maybe use two at a time. The extra ram wouldn't make a difference for me.
    09-07-17 08:10 AM
    When was the last time you cleared the cache data and rebooted? While I've entertained myself not doing either, it does result in redrawing. After performing that maintenance, I've no issues. You may also want to check your battery optimization settings. If you have it on for some of those apps, that could be the issue.

Caveats...
    I don't use most of the apps you do, and one or more of them may be a performance hog. I also don't typically leave many apps open. Ultimately an extra gig of RAM could only help someone who does, but they shouldn't expect the same battery life too. For me, the KEYᵒᵍ is perfect. For you, maybe not so much.
    I don't clear the cache nor do I reboot unless I really need to, because I believe it shouldn't be necessary these days, especially with the so called 'improved memory management' by the OS. I don't understand why apps would redraw when I have sufficient RAM available. If the RAM gets filled up *then* and only then would I understand the need to redraw and close certain apps. The way it appears to be working now seems completely random and illogical to me. However, I'll cave in and do it now, lol, because at this point the redrawing thing has gotten completely out of hand. I can't even use Google Translate the way it's supposed to work. The battery optimisation thing might help. I'll look into that, thanks. By default only Google Play Services, Downloader and Updates are the only ones not optimised.

PS: You might get a chuckle out of my uptime being 500 hours and my cached data being at 1,84GB, hehe :P Btw., could I lose some important data by clearing the cache?

The K1 is not perfect for me, but my expectations were probably way too high to begin with for this device. Android is obviously an issue for me, although I've used it a lot in the past because I couldn't stand the limitations in iOS. I also accepted having to do a bit of tinkering with my devices back then. I even enjoyed it, having been a phone-geek since the mid-nineties. However, as I get older (40) I just want things to work properly from the get-go. BB10 really was the perfect mix between Android and iOS, IMHO. Too bad some of the best OSes always end up being scrapped for inferior ones. And then there is the notifications bug which rather ironically (in a discussion about RAM) means we have to leave some apps open in order to get their notifications. I also have some issues with the pkb and its capacitive features, but I've written about that in other threads. Even though I probably appear all negative and just complaining, the K1 obviously has many more positive sides than negative ones. If it didn't I would have ditched it by now. I do, however, believe that it is very important to highlight the negative sides in order for future improvements to get implemented.

I don't see how having more RAM would affect the battery life. A faster CPU sure, but more RAM, no...
    09-07-17 01:44 PM
    Btw., could I lose some important data by clearing the cache?
    Nope, it's literally the equivalent of emptying Windows temp folder(s).
    Barbareren likes this.
    09-07-17 02:24 PM
    I never looked before, but between the hub, hub services, BlackBerry keyboard app, and launcher... those 4 apps use 600+mb of ram alone. I gotta think that is a lot more bloat than using non BlackBerry versions of those tools. I dont use the productivity tab, but id assume that eats even more
    09-07-17 04:39 PM
    Felt that the black edition seems faster and the lag on sliver edition seems more visible
    09-07-17 05:49 PM
    I was just reading through the official KEYone review posted on CrackBerry by Jerry Hildenbrand and he wrote this about the RAM:

One thing I think they should have done (and should do for the KEYtwo) is used 4GB of RAM. Loading the core BB experience in memory and keeping it there would do away with some of the software slowness people have seen. A phone with a "light" OS can get away with 3GB of RAM, but the KEYone would still benefit from the extra GB, especially while BlackBerry keeps improving the BlackBerry app suite. When they get it as fine-tuned on Android as it is on BB10, then it won't matter.

Posted via CB10
    Barbareren and FF22 like this.
    09-07-17 11:26 PM
    I don't clear the cache nor do I reboot unless I really need to, because I believe it shouldn't be necessary these days, especially with the so called 'improved memory management' by the OS. I don't understand why apps would redraw when I have sufficient RAM available. If the RAM gets filled up *then* and only then would I understand the need to redraw and close certain apps. The way it appears to be working now seems completely random and illogical to me. However, I'll cave in and do it now, lol, because at this point the redrawing thing has gotten completely out of hand. I can't even use Google Translate the way it's supposed to work. The battery optimisation thing might help. I'll look into that, thanks. By default only Google Play Services, Downloader and Updates are the only ones not optimised.

PS: You might get a chuckle out of my uptime being 500 hours and my cached data being at 1,84GB, hehe :P Btw., could I lose some important data by clearing the cache?

The K1 is not perfect for me, but my expectations were probably way too high to begin with for this device. Android is obviously an issue for me, although I've used it a lot in the past because I couldn't stand the limitations in iOS. I also accepted having to do a bit of tinkering with my devices back then. I even enjoyed it, having been a phone-geek since the mid-nineties. However, as I get older (40) I just want things to work properly from the get-go. BB10 really was the perfect mix between Android and iOS, IMHO. Too bad some of the best OSes always end up being scrapped for inferior ones. And then there is the notifications bug which rather ironically (in a discussion about RAM) means we have to leave some apps open in order to get their notifications. I also have some issues with the pkb and its capacitive features, but I've written about that in other threads. Even though I probably appear all negative and just complaining, the K1 obviously has many more positive sides than negative ones. If it didn't I would have ditched it by now. I do, however, believe that it is very important to highlight the negative sides in order for future improvements to get implemented.

I don't see how having more RAM would affect the battery life. A faster CPU sure, but more RAM, no...
    I'd love to never reboot my PC too, but no matter how refined, caches need cleaning, and a reboot gets things operating smoothly again.

Laugh? Why?

Is the extra RAM in the black edition worth it?-screenshot_20170904-232752.jpgIs the extra RAM in the black edition worth it?-screenshot_20170904-232730.jpgIs the extra RAM in the black edition worth it?-screenshot_20170904-232824.jpg

That was a couple days ago. Got tired of the science project, and did some maintenance, because of exactly what you're complaining about. I now know how far I can take the KEYᵒⁿᵉ, before it depletes my patience, LoL.

As Fret said, you lose nothing clearing your cache.

Expectations can often exceed reality. Marriage comes to mind. Heck, you wouldn't be a BlackBerry fan, without carrying a basket full of disappointments you cherish as eccentric character flaws.

More stuff running does affect battery. I bet you'll notice an improvement, after your reluctant maintenance.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-07-17 11:57 PM
    I did the 'maintenance'. I can't say it has changed the main problem, though. I stand by my original statement and call it poor RAM management. I also changed some battery optimisation settings. The app redraw thing remains. I also changed the animation speed to 0.5 in the developer mode - never realised my phone was a bit slow before, lol. That was a nice change. Still, something has to be done about this app redrawing issue. Hands-on reports here have even mentioned that the app redrawing happens far less on the 4GB black version, so apparently the extra gigabyte was necessary.
    09-08-17 12:26 AM
    I'm thinking of getting the KeyONE, but if I did it would only be the black 4GB one.

One way to look at it is 1GB more on 3GB is a 33% gain in RAM.

A better way to look at it is of the 3GB, 1GB is used by OS, BlackBerry services, and Google. So you really only have about 2GB to work with for other apps, so an extra GB is 50% more RAM.

I'm not buying the conjecture from reviewers that it's the same performance. They're obviously not impartial and are doing their best to keep their customer (BlackBerry Mobile) happy. Hey, I don't blame them, our grumpy comments don't pay the bills.

One way
    09-08-17 01:45 AM
    Most productivity stylized apps are just a calendar. Usually the goto app. Notes, tasks, reminders, meetings, bridge. Can export and import.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-17 01:56 AM
    I'm thinking of getting the KeyONE, but if I did it would only be the black 4GB one.

A better way to look at it is of the 3GB, 1GB is used by OS, BlackBerry services, and Google. So you really only have about 2GB to work with for other apps, so an extra GB is 50% more RAM.

I'm not buying the conjecture from reviewers that it's the same performance. They're obviously not impartial and are doing their best to keep their customer (BlackBerry Mobile) happy. Hey, I don't blame them, our grumpy comments don't pay the bills.

One way
    Exactly... I don't blame them neither but to say that everything is the same with 3 or 4 GB of RAM, including use over a long period of time (months), it's just impossible...
    09-08-17 11:45 AM

One way
    Exactly... I don't blame them neither but to say that everything is the same with 3 or 4 GB of RAM, including use over a long period of time (months), it's just impossible...
    It's still the same processor, so yes - same performance. Android prioritizes apps based on usage, so having an extra gig merely means it's able to keep more lesser-used apps in memory.
    09-08-17 02:52 PM
    It's still the same processor, so yes - same performance. Android prioritizes apps based on usage, so having an extra gig merely means it's able to keep more lesser-used apps in memory.
    What do you mean by "lesser used" app? We can simply say more apps in memory.

My main issue with the phone wasn't the speed but the app refresh. After running for the phone for a day or two without reboot, even browser windows would refresh so if I have to go through a few apps to gather information, I'd lose what I had entered on browser.

I hope the extra RAM fixes that.
    09-08-17 05:35 PM
    What do you mean by "lesser used" app? We can simply say more apps in memory.

My main issue with the phone wasn't the speed but the app refresh. After running for the phone for a day or two without reboot, even browser windows would refresh so if I have to go through a few apps to gather information, I'd lose what I had entered on browser.

I hope the extra RAM fixes that.
    As I've stated, it won't fix that, because it's the browser making the call. 3 gigs or 30 gigs, the browser is either coded to refresh or is missing code to tell it not to refresh. I'm going with the former since the Samsung browser is based on Chromium builds and it has no problem retaining data.
    09-08-17 06:36 PM
    As I've stated, it won't fix that, because it's the browser making the call. 3 gigs or 30 gigs, the browser is either coded to refresh or is missing code to tell it not to refresh. I'm going with the former since the Samsung browser is based on Chromium builds and it has no problem retaining data.
    I wonder why same app/browser works fine on my V20 with same combo usage. Is it the processor the difference or the RAM or the both?
    09-08-17 07:39 PM
    I wonder why same app/browser works fine on my V20 with same combo usage. Is it the processor the difference or the RAM or the both?
    Different CPU, different spins of Android between BlackBerry and LG, etc.
    09-08-17 07:41 PM
    Different CPU, different spins of Android between BlackBerry and LG, etc.
    So it must be BlackBerry as the same CPU on MotoG doesn't do the refreshes with same apps I believe.

It means if BlackBerry does optimise their end, the 4GB will benefit it in the long run either ways.
    09-08-17 07:57 PM
    So it must be BlackBerry as the same CPU on MotoG doesn't do the refreshes with same apps I believe.

It means if BlackBerry does optimise their end, the 4GB will benefit it in the long run either ways.
    IDK what's causing your issue, but the OS is pretty much pure Android, and...

Is the extra RAM in the black edition worth it?-screenshot_20170908-201719.jpgIs the extra RAM in the black edition worth it?-screenshot_20170908-201909.jpgAttachment 429589

No reloading at all. 3 tabs open on Firefox, all desktop. 11 quite active accounts in the hub. I started this post before taking the screenshots, and went back and forth to the apps during. As you can see, I keep a few images to thumbnail...

Is the extra RAM in the black edition worth it?-screenshot_20170908-202654.jpg

You obviously are experiencing a problem, and I would have to suspect an app. The KEYᵒⁿᵉ works just fine with 3gb, to my surprise.
    john_v likes this.
    09-08-17 08:31 PM
    Yep, the same processor... I wonder why they put three GB of RAM on it, with two would have been enough because, you know, it's the same processor and the amount of RAM has zero impact in performance...
    09-08-17 08:49 PM
    Yep, the same processor... I wonder why they put three GB of RAM on it, with two would have been enough because, you know, it's the same processor and the amount of RAM has zero impact in performance...
    I have these two particular devices. One is a G3. The other is a G6. Their performance is nearly the same. One has a Snapdragon 801 and 3GB RAM. The other has a Snapdragon 821 with 4GB RAM. The same apps on both have exactly the same behavior. It is not a hardware issue with his KEYone, it is software.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    09-08-17 09:00 PM
    LOL, I don't think they got your sarcasm...

If the KeyONE is supposed to be a productivity beast, it should be able to handle switching between 6 or 7 apps without any flaws. For example, I should be able to switch between Email, Text, Phone, Contacts, Facebook, Twitter, and Google Maps with no lag, IMO.

I get it that not everyone will need the extra gig and many may not mind some lag here and there, but I'm not buying the "same performance" argument.
    09-08-17 09:34 PM
    LOL, I don't think they got your sarcasm...

If the KeyONE is supposed to be a productivity beast, it should be able to handle switching between 6 or 7 apps without any flaws. For example, I should be able to switch between Email, Text, Phone, Contacts, Facebook, Twitter, and Google Maps with no lag, IMO.

I get it that not everyone will need the extra gig and many may not mind some lag here and there, but I'm not buying the "same performance" argument.
    I got the sarcasm

The KEYᵒⁿᵉ does run many apps at the same time without lag, refreshing, spindling, mutilating...
    You should own one, then tell us how it runs.
    09-08-17 09:45 PM
    IDK what's causing your issue, but the OS is pretty much pure Android, and...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170908-201719.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	429587Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170908-201909.jpg 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	429588Attachment 429589

No reloading at all. 3 tabs open on Firefox, all desktop. 11 quite active accounts in the hub. I started this post before taking the screenshots, and went back and forth to the apps during. As you can see, I keep a few images to thumbnail...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170908-202654.jpg 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	429590

You obviously are experiencing a problem, and I would have to suspect an app. The KEYᵒⁿᵉ works just fine with 3gb, to my surprise.
    I think it must be how I had my things laid out. I have now sold my Keyone and am waiting for the black one.

I did have two Profiles and also Android for Work. When I'm signed in at work profile, it also lags.

Nevertheless the app refresh is quite common. It had been discussed in other forums as well.
    09-08-17 10:13 PM
    Not really, no.

Besides, gamers would hit a wall with the Snapdragon 625 before getting into RAM.
    Mr Mobile mentions he hasn't seen improvement with the extra GB of ram however as he says that he shares a clip of him flawlessly jumping in and out of apps without refresh. That is something I rarely achieve with my KEYone.
    09-08-17 10:24 PM
101 ... 2345