True that. Although I haven't experienced any hang ups and such personally. Just issues with multitasking really... Anyway, more RAM is always a good thing
    09-01-17 08:35 PM
    It will make a difference.
    Indeed.

In the long term it will be a major difference, with each Android OS update and app update as many apps are built around popular Androids e.g. Galaxy S7, S8, LG G6, OnePlus 3, OnePlus 5, Huawei P10, Honor 8, Pixel etc etc... Which all have at least 4GB RAM.
    09-02-17 01:07 AM
    Reviews like that are weird, because they're basically comparing two fresh devices for which the only real difference should be their long-term reliability. Not their "fresh out of the box"-behaviour.

If the RAM is the only difference, in-app performance should be the same on both devices.
    The only noticeable thing should be the multitasking aspect (caching and loading more apps from memory before some are force closed).

And as far as I'm concerned that last part, app caching, is way more important on Android. I mean this is the "there's an app for that"-platform we're talking about, so why some people say that the ability to reliably run móre apps in the background is not a core value I will never understand.
    09-02-17 02:42 AM
    Wow thurask, what is that, where did you get this from? Could you give some more information? Does this mean updates are in essence depending on production run? If so, any idea why?

Sorry lots of questions!
    09-02-17 02:55 AM
    Yes, I think this is the more logical outcome... at first every device is snappy, everything runs as intended... it is after months of use, and this seems to be very true with Android, when you will notice lag here are there... the extra RAM will give a smoother experience for longer, it has to be that way (plus having more on board memory can't hurt), and eventually that extra RAM will also be too short... if you can choose, no question in my mind that I will pick the better specs, if you want to keep the phone for at least a year... if you plan to change your device in 6 months I guess then it doesn't matter...
    Can this be helped to some extent by a factory reset though? This is my first ever Android device and while I have heard of this argument I don't really understand it. Why will it lag over time? Due to more usage? Or is there a secret Android protocol to slow things down after time?
    09-02-17 02:58 AM
    Will extra RAM in the black edition really make that much of a difference? Or is it mainly for gamers and heavy media users?

Posted via CB10
    For me, my PRIV only uses around 2.5GB of the RAM for normal day to day app usage. When the phone is in idle, it normally sits around 2GB or slightly under. So it won't really make that much of a difference for me but i know some like to have a TON of apps open at the same time and then the extra RAM might be useful. Having more of something is always better for those 'just in case' moments.

Unless its lag, then having more of that isn't good lol.
    09-02-17 04:01 AM
    I think KEYᵒⁿᵉ is still not optimised fully.
    I believe with extra GB will help but I still have to see.

Over the period of months or not, it can easily be tested by opening several apps and then comparing the two when the other one refreshes. This is where it'll be important in real world anyway. If it doesn't outperforms the SE, then I think BlackBerry hasn't used the specs fully.

Another test can be over the period of a day or two without reboot and see how it handles apps. I'm waiting for someone to do such comparison before even thinking of thinking of getting the black one as well.
    09-02-17 04:24 AM
    but you lose a great looking phone for a generic all black device.
    09-02-17 06:39 AM
    just delete the apps you don't use and have less background apps running.
    09-02-17 06:41 AM
    lol how do you define 20% snappier.

have you actually been checking the launch times of apps and menus.
    He doesn't it's just human nature to feel things are better to justify the purchase

That said I would probably say the same haha
    09-02-17 09:56 AM
    Wow thurask, what is that, where did you get this from? Could you give some more information? Does this mean updates are in essence depending on production run? If so, any idea why?

Sorry lots of questions!
    These are regional variants, not production runs (except anything ending in 7xx is probably prerelease).

And for the tool itself: https://github.com/thurask/bbarchivist (note, it's not released yet, you'd need to clone from git and install it manually).
    09-02-17 10:10 AM
    Apples and Oranges I know, but I had 2 KeyOnes that were returned because of reception issues, neither hung as much as my current S8+ does with 4G. Grass isn't always greener.
    FF22 and BLu like this.
    09-02-17 10:21 AM
    Tried side by side Silver and Black KEYones in Berlin. Opened 12 apps in both and only noticed a slight NON refresh on the Black one when went to recent and opened apps from there. Speed wise both running the same.
    JOHNGAETANO and FF22 like this.
    09-02-17 11:04 AM
    Tried side by side Silver and Black KEYones in Berlin. Opened 12 apps in both and only noticed a slight NON refresh on the Black one when went to recent and opened apps from there. Speed wise both running the same.
    Yeah figured as much

I just want dual Sim and larger internal allows for this IF I can get an Indian one.

Thanks
    09-02-17 11:14 AM
    These are regional variants, not production runs (except anything ending in 7xx is probably prerelease).

And for the tool itself: https://github.com/thurask/bbarchivist (note, it's not released yet, you'd need to clone from git and install it manually).
    Interesting, thanks for that bit of information.
    09-02-17 11:17 AM
    I agree, it really should make a difference. After months of using the K1 daily the low amount of RAM (or how it is managed by Android Nougat) has become more and more of an issue for me. Let's say I have a few apps open (usually just 3-5) and I'm working on a long Facebook post. I open Chrome to fact check something, and when I then go back to Facebook the app will often have been closed by the system and when I reopen it my post is gone forever. This is _not_ how true multitasking is supposed to work. I'm really starting to loathe how badly Android Nougat (or could the BlackBerry launcher be at fault?) handles multitasking. It will also just randomly remove apps from your open apps screen. Having more RAM can only be a good thing. I might purchase the black version for this reason alone - oh, and to be certain I have a properly glued screen!
    This.

I do think it's very aggressive in shutting apps down. Your example of facebook then opening chrome is a prime example. Very frustrating.
    Barbareren and wentouch like this.
    09-02-17 11:39 AM
    IMO it will make a difference especially when you have more that 3 apparently open
    09-02-17 12:03 PM
    Well I tried both devices with way more than 3 apps and like I said noticed a just difference on refresh on recent apps Re Black opening faster as no refresh.
    09-02-17 12:16 PM
    more is always better lol

It wont always make a difference but it certainly can't hurt. Still limited with the 625 though as well. The extra storage space however is much better to have. More pictures, apps etc without the need to an SD card.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-02-17 01:01 PM
    more is always better lol

It wont always make a difference but it certainly can't hurt. Still limited with the 625 though as well. The extra storage space however is much better to have. More pictures, apps etc without the need to an SD card.
    The only files I keep on my device are the few items I need when the radios are turned off, like audio books on the subway. Everything else lives in the cloud or on my SD card. I have yet to use more than 8GB on my Z10 in more than four years, and am not worried about going over 32GB on my new KEYone.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-02-17 02:18 PM
    I have BBB100-2 purchased from Clove UK and I'm still on AAM481
    Attached Thumbnails Is the extra RAM in the black edition worth it?-6545.jpg  
    09-02-17 02:27 PM
    Apples and Oranges I know, but I had 2 KeyOnes that were returned because of reception issues, neither hung as much as my current S8+ does with 4G. Grass isn't always greener.
    Thanks for sharing that prospective.
    09-02-17 02:42 PM
    I have BBB100-2 purchased from Clove UK and I'm still on AAM481
    All is UK guys are.....
    09-02-17 02:53 PM
    Well I tried both devices with way more than 3 apps and like I said noticed a just difference on refresh on recent apps Re Black opening faster as no refresh.
    And for how long where you at the Berlin meet-up? Four months using the devices side by side? That's the point, in the long term it can't be the same performance, apps will be heavier on resources need, multitasking... but today, out of the box, both devices would perform the same...
    09-02-17 03:38 PM
    And for how long where you at the Berlin meet-up? Four months using the devices side by side? That's the point, in the long term it can't be the same performance, apps will be heavier on resources need, multitasking... but today, out of the box, both devices would perform the same...
    When you DO try them please do share your next opinion. good luck
    09-02-17 03:42 PM
101 1234 ...