Check your app settings, I had to specifically enable speak name on Yaata, (and the option to speak message was there).
    Though we may be comparing apples to oranges, I use a headset and want the notification sounds. It should still be app dependent.
    The Android I use now is for work and I honestly don't care to customize it too much, but will definitely be digging once I get the KEYone to use as a daily driver...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-05-17 09:43 AM
    I would like to see a complete overhaul of BlackBerry launcher to be more aesthetically pleasing. Nothing really resembles the bb10 look and I think it had a very good look between modern and classic styles
    03-10-17 08:36 PM
    I suspect it is a matter of taste. I absolutely enjoy the BB launcher, and I just added the Pixel icon package, and very much like the way my phone looks. I am addicted to the splat, so will not get rid of the BB launcher.
    03-11-17 02:39 AM
    What I meant is more along the lines of the swipe down menu, swipe to wake instead of double tap, changing the system font from the default android to the default BlackBerry font.

I have a nice icon pack I'm using now, I like it a lot more. I also like the little things that BlackBerry has added to the launcher, but would like some more things brought it
    03-11-17 03:27 PM
    It would be really great if BlackBerry would offer a choice of a launcher that approximated the BB10 experience as much as possible. But I also want them to design for efficiency within the Android OS environment. Also, like most UIs, it can't be a one size fits all.

What I'm waiting for is a mobile OS UI that offers different presets for different "user scripts" and which is highly customizable by the user.

For example, when I'm focused at work, I'd love something that emulates a BBOS experience where I could ONLY display work communications (to avoid distractions from personal emails, social networking notifications, etc.)

Then, when I stop working, I'd like to be able to toggle a single selector to change my priorities and only display non-work items.

When I'm on vacation and truly unavailable, I'd like to be able to set my out of office messages easily for all services through a single phone interface.

If I'm at a trade show, I'd like to prioritize my professional blogs, twitter, etc.

Just to be clear, I am NOT just talking about which app shortcuts appear on the home page, or which shortcuts are active. I would like a completely different user experience work for different contexts, including home page options, gestures, and portfolios of notification settings, what is and is not displayed in the Hub, etc. with a simple, customizable toggle.

Simply, I'd like a mobile OS that enhances my focus and concentration rather than one that continually interrupts or demands monitoring, and which is constant offering to distract me from my chosen priorities.

Currently, the best way to manage this is either to carry multiple devices for different contexts or to simply turn off my phone whenever I want to avoid interruptions. Both of these approaches are effective, but both are far from ideal

Come on designers, this is a great opportunity to innovate! Make it happen.
    Posted with my trusty Z10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 03-12-17 at 12:31 PM.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-12-17 12:16 PM
    @bb10adopter111 That would be awesome! Get coding buster!
    03-12-17 12:53 PM
    @bb10adopter111 That would be awesome! Get coding buster!
    Honestly, I would have expected something like this by now. It would be easy to market, and you could iterate and improve it over time. If BlackBerry, Google, or anyone else wants to hire me to oversee the development and ongoing project, I'd be happy to make it happen. :-)

BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-12-17 01:09 PM
    Honestly, I would have expected something like this by now. It would be easy to market, and you could iterate and improve it over time. If BlackBerry, Google, or anyone else wants to hire me to oversee the development and ongoing project, I'd be happy to make it happen. :-)

I can only imagine the complexity involved. Theme itself you can do right now, having multiple with certain apps hidden and showing on each one. Profiles can be set. The hub can have different views. Tyeing those together alone would be cool, and challenging. What you suggest maybe someone like @app_Developer could comment on.
    03-12-17 01:30 PM
    I can only imagine the complexity involved. Theme itself you can do right now, having multiple with certain apps hidden and showing on each one. Profiles can be set. The hub can have different views. Tyeing those together alone would be cool, and challenging. What you suggest maybe someone like @app_Developer could comment on.
    Well, the whole concept would need to be integrated into the design of the OS. Then the OS would need to be engineered to make the appropriate settings available to the app developers. It's really not different than the way that process works now for implementing app features that utilize the OS.

The challenge is not in the engineering. It's in the design, and Google has NEVER demonstrated a knack for sophisticated user experience design. They have a few great products with adequate design, but nothing really remarkable.

Just as a simple example, every app with notifications would need to have access to the "Contexts" table (Work, Home, Vacation, Weekend, etc.) so that different notifications policies could be set for each. Any app that didn't implement the feature would need a defined "default" setting that allowed a simple toggling of on or off for each context.

The coding is not at all hard. Defining the business rules and designing the UX would be the challenge.

In terms of engineering complexity, it's a 3/10, but very few mobile development projects are harder that a 2/10, so it will probably never happen! :-D

BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-12-17 02:09 PM
    Sounds like you have it well thought out, and should work with a team like CM, to make it happen.
    03-12-17 02:21 PM
    Everything except notification sounds (app dependent) and not having your notification sounds broadcasted to a BT connected speaker. But most everything else can be tweaked...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    What? For real???!

via Passport OG
    03-12-17 02:29 PM
    Sounds like you have it well thought out, and should work with a team like CM, to make it happen.
    LOL. I'm sure there are many people who have more insight than I when it comes to improving the user experience for mobile. The bigger problem is that Apple and Google are paid by users downloading apps in a never ending attempt to mitigate poorly designed user experiences. As a result, they have a disincentive to build a truly satisfying phone.

BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-12-17 02:40 PM
    I suspect most vested Android users would consider "out of the box" an inferior concept.
    The only reason "out of the box" has so much pull over here is because there's nothing outside of the box to replace it with.
    BigBadWulf and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    03-12-17 02:52 PM
    It would be really great if BlackBerry would offer a choice of a launcher that approximated the BB10 experience as much as possible. But I also want them to design for efficiency within the Android OS environment. Also, like most UIs, it can't be a one size fits all.

What I'm waiting for is a mobile OS UI that offers different presets for different "user scripts" and which is highly customizable by the user.

For example, when I'm focused at work, I'd love something that emulates a BBOS experience where I could ONLY display work communications (to avoid distractions from personal emails, social networking notifications, etc.)

Then, when I stop working, I'd like to be able to toggle a single selector to change my priorities and only display non-work items.

When I'm on vacation and truly unavailable, I'd like to be able to set my out of office messages easily for all services through a single phone interface.

If I'm at a trade show, I'd like to prioritize my professional blogs, twitter, etc.

Just to be clear, I am NOT just talking about which app shortcuts appear on the home page, or which shortcuts are active. I would like a completely different user experience work for different contexts, including home page options, gestures, and portfolios of notification settings, what is and is not displayed in the Hub, etc. with a simple, customizable toggle.

Simply, I'd like a mobile OS that enhances my focus and concentration rather than one that continually interrupts or demands monitoring, and which is constant offering to distract me from my chosen priorities.

Currently, the best way to manage this is either to carry multiple devices for different contexts or to simply turn off my phone whenever I want to avoid interruptions. Both of these approaches are effective, but both are far from ideal

Come on designers, this is a great opportunity to innovate! Make it happen.
    Next Launcher by Microsoft has the ability to toggle profiles like you describe here. @Bla1ze also recommends.
    03-12-17 02:59 PM
    Next Launcher by Microsoft has the ability to toggle profiles like you describe here. @Bla1ze also recommends.
    Next is a lock screen app with context profiles, but it doesn't do much of what I describe. For example, as soon as I receive an email for work, and open the Hub, I would immediate have access to all of my accounts.

BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-12-17 03:06 PM
    Next is a lock screen app with context profiles, but it doesn't do much of what I describe. For example, as soon as I receive an email for work, and open the Hub, I would immediate have access to all of my accounts.

Oops, you're right. Arrow is the launcher but I was mixing up which app did what. I tried both but they weren't as good a fit for me as default lock screen and Nova Prime.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-12-17 03:28 PM
    Would this be more in line with what you're looking for? Same app, but each account shows up independently in the notification shade, including lock screen. For different "profiles" I'd just make different screens with the apps and/or widgets I wanted, you can have the same apps on a page if you wanted to use the same app(s) in every profile. To toggle notifications for work, I use Do Not Disturb.

Excited for KEYone, But Want Android Launcher Similar to BB10-img_20170312_153434_603.jpg
    03-12-17 03:40 PM
    Would this be more in line with what you're looking for? Same app, but each account shows up independently in the notification shade, including lock screen. For different "profiles" I'd just make different screens with the apps and/or widgets I wanted, you can have the same apps on a page if you wanted to use the same app(s) in every profile. To toggle notifications for work, I use Do Not Disturb.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170312_153434_603.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	419284
    That's pretty different from what I describe. I know how to do that. For example, currently there is nothing that will hide irrelevant accounts in the Hub / Calendar / Tasks / etc. Within each context

03-12-17 03:54 PM
    Currently, the best way to manage this is either to carry multiple devices for different contexts or to simply turn off my phone whenever I want to avoid interruptions.
    You could add another user to your Android, it will be two separate profiles for everything, even apps and accounts.
    From there on notifications can be handled with priority mode or for an even stricter approach via contacts app (block priavte contacts as 'work' user and vise versa).

For customization there aren't any limitations on Android.
    Problem is you will lose the shortcut feature to launch apps/acticities with the PKB by using another launcher.
    I'm using Nova Launcher on my Priv, cause I want the icons to be smaller. I have to sacrifice the PKB shortcuts for that.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-12-17 05:32 PM
    You could add another user to your Android, it will be two separate profiles for everything, even apps and accounts.
    From there on notifications can be handled with priority mode or for an even stricter approach via contacts app (block priavte contacts as 'work' user and vise versa).

For customization there aren't any limitations on Android.
    Problem is you will lose the shortcut feature to launch apps/acticities with the PKB by using another launcher.
    I'm using Nova Launcher on my Priv, cause I want the icons to be smaller. I have to sacrifice the PKB shortcuts for that.
    That's an interesting idea! Only issue would be paid apps not on the family plan. Everything else could be shared easily, and the alter ego set up completely different.
    03-12-17 08:34 PM
    Does the dtek60 or priv allow for you to disable the app tray so we can also add an extra shortcut icon to the bottom?

Some good suggestions here though

Posted via CB10
    03-16-17 07:00 AM
71 123