I was going to stick with my passport until it died because I really don't like the look of android, the unprofessional icons and stuff, but I like the KEYone so much that I'm ready to upgrade when it's released on Telus. It's going to be tough to adjust to a completely different way of multitasking and exiting apps, but as for the look and feel of the OS, I want to get a launcher/theme that will keep some of the feel from bb10. What would be the best route to take? Nothing that changes how the OS works, just simply a more professional and clean "look" to Android

Posted via CB10
    david7saad likes this.
    03-03-17 12:46 PM
    I was going to stick with my passport until it died because I really don't like the look of android, the unprofessional icons and stuff, but I like the KEYone so much that I'm ready to upgrade when it's released on Telus. It's going to be tough to adjust to a completely different way of multitasking and exiting apps, but as for the look and feel of the OS, I want to get a launcher/theme that will keep some of the feel from bb10. What would be the best route to take? Nothing that changes how the OS works, just simply a more professional and clean "look" to Android

Posted via CB10
    Android is customization personified.

Don't like the icons? Find ones that work for you.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    03-03-17 12:48 PM
    Android is customization personified.

Don't like the icons? Find ones that work for you.
    Everything except notification sounds (app dependent) and not having your notification sounds broadcasted to a BT connected speaker. But most everything else can be tweaked...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-03-17 12:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    Tre's absolutely correct, you can completely alter Android to suit your own style. Android Central put up a blog post detailing how to customize Android to be like BB10, but I don't see it being the same. IMO it's better to make it like you want it; you'll be much happier doing that than trying to shoehorn it into something it can't be. BB10 is great, Android is great, mixing the two isn't so great.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    03-03-17 12:55 PM
    Everything except notification sounds (app dependent) and not having your notification sounds broadcasted to a BT connected speaker. But most everything else can be tweaked...

That's got to be unique to BlackBerry Android, I change my sounds all the time.
    03-03-17 12:57 PM
    Everything can be customized for the most part and honestly the BlackBerry launcher provides the most little shortcuts and whatnot similar to bb10.

There are a few different launchers that provide gesture support which may be what you're looking for like nova launcher.

I always enjoyed action launcher myself.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-17 01:08 PM
    That's got to be unique to BlackBerry Android, I change my sounds all the time.
    Yes you can, but I mean like having a custom sound for every individual contact and also different between message type. For example, my friend Andrew would have one custom sound for phone calls, another for sms, another for bbm, another for whatsapp, another for email, etc. All different from the sounds used for other contacts. Just an example of what I am talking about.

03-03-17 01:10 PM
    Yes you can, but I mean like having a custom sound for every individual contact and also different between message type. For example, my friend Andrew would have one custom sound for phone calls, another for sms, another for bbm, another for whatsapp, another for email, etc. All different from the sounds used for other contacts. Just an example of what I am talking about.

The only app I have that can't have individual sounds perfect contact is BBM, that might explain my confusion.
    03-03-17 01:14 PM
    The only app I have that can't have individual sounds perfect contact is BBM, that might explain my confusion.
    But that's what I mean, it's app dependent. It's nice that a lot of apps allow that flexibility, but if one chooses not to, like BBM (ironically) then you can't do it for that. I can't give a blanket "yes you can do this system-wide on an Android" if it isn't dependent on Android itself...

03-03-17 01:24 PM
    Very interesting...i would like to use the bb10 gesture insteed the android one...is it possible?
    03-03-17 01:24 PM
    The BlackBerry launcher facilitates icon packs, so you can at least use the icons you want. Customise the hell out of the OS until it's as close to your preference as possible.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-17 01:26 PM
    But that's what I mean, it's app dependent. It's nice that a lot of apps allow that flexibility, but if one chooses not to, like BBM (ironically) then you can't do it for that. I can't give a blanket "yes you can do this system-wide on an Android" if it isn't dependent on Android itself...

Oh - you mean a universal override from contacts. One particular tone for a particular contact, all apps obey as they're installed. Yeah, I'd like that.
    03-03-17 01:39 PM
    Oh - you mean a universal override from contacts. One particular tone for a particular contact, all apps obey as they're installed. Yeah, I'd like that.
    Well, I would like the ability to set different ones for different apps as well. All I'm saying is you can't simply say that "yes it's possible" since you'd have to say BBM is an exception to that, and maybe there's another you're not thinking of that also doesn't allow it, or maybe a social media app comes out in the future that also doesn't allow that flexibility. That's all I meant when I said that it is app dependent.
    03-03-17 04:33 PM
    I really appreciate the consistency in features across applications that BB10 provides, and I know that this lack of consistency will be frustrating for me if I switch to Android full time.

With Android, the OS offers developers options, but in many cases each developer decides which options to implement and how. Some people see that as a strength of Android, but personally, I'd rather have someone enforcing common practices.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    mad_mdx likes this.
    03-03-17 05:02 PM
    Very interesting...i would like to use the bb10 gesture insteed the android one...is it possible?
    i wish it could , the gestures and peek and flow are what bb10 so special. if only we could have it all
    03-03-17 05:05 PM
    Unfortunately not the way bb10 is. Some launchers allow different gestures on the home screen and whatnot but don't really have it baked in to allow throughout other apps and the os the way bb10 does.

There are different multitasking ways and notification features with android though that you will get used to. It's a change but it works.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-17 06:16 PM
    How can the icons not be professional lol? App icons are the same on every phone. The blackberry icons for calendar, hub, and contacts are all the same on BB10. If you don't like what you see change the icons. Can't do that on bb10.
    03-03-17 07:03 PM

You can have a different sound for every contact, and some communication apps will allow a different sound per contact within. Every app will allow a different sound, but not all so finely detailed as you are asking for, but...

Isn't this about having BB10 gestures on Android? Realistically, Nougat gives access at least as quickly to apps as BB10 already, and apps like Nova Launcher offer more gestures than BB10. There a G-d knows how many icon packages, to suit anyone's taste.
    03-03-17 07:58 PM
    You can have a different sound for every contact, and some communication apps will allow a different sound per contact within. Every app will allow a different sound, but not all so finely detailed as you are asking for, but...

Isn't this about having BB10 gestures on Android? Realistically, Nougat gives access at least as quickly to apps as BB10 already, and apps like Nova Launcher offer more gestures than BB10. There a G-d knows how many icon packages, to suit anyone's taste.
    Scroll up my friend, see how this started. I was merely replying to someone saying that everything in Android can be customized. You know I'm going to customize the heck out of the KEYone once I get it, so I'm not trying to "diss" Android or anything, but was simply pointing that out as an exception. There's a lot that cannot be customized in BB10, so not saying it's worse because of it...
    03-03-17 08:01 PM
    Scroll up my friend, see how this started. I was merely replying to someone saying that everything in Android can be customized. You know I'm going to customize the heck out of the KEYone once I get it, so I'm not trying to "diss" Android or anything, but was simply pointing that out as an exception. There's a lot that cannot be customized in BB10, so not saying it's worse because of it...
    IC, the thread went 2 posts before zinging off topic. A new record

Let's stick to customizing gestures and icons
    Ecm likes this.
    03-03-17 08:05 PM
    IC, the thread went 2 posts before zinging off topic. A new record

Let's stick to customizing gestures and icons
    *shrugs* I said one sentence about it. Someone responded, I was merely replying to that person. Was I supposed to ignore when someone is talking to me?
    03-03-17 08:27 PM
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

We were talking launchers and icons. Please continue!
    03-03-17 08:31 PM
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

We were talking launchers and icons. Please continue!
    And multitasking.

Edit: To that end, split screen in Nougat.
    03-03-17 08:36 PM
    And multitasking.

Edit: To that end, split screen in Nougat.
    Or double tap square to switch back and forth, or single tap to access all open apps, or once single tapped, swipe left or right to close an app. It's easy, and extremely fast.
    03-03-17 08:39 PM
    Or double tap square to switch back and forth, or single tap to access all open apps, or once single tapped, swipe left or right to close an app. It's easy, and extremely fast.
    BB Android's open app screen is in tiles too like BB10's homescreen.
    03-03-17 08:43 PM
71 123