I didn't know what to do, other than start a thread about how incredible this app is. Without any exaggeration, Textra has easily improved my Android experience from a 5 to an 8.

Here are some of my favorite features:

Auto-close - When I'm in the hub, and I open a text, to which I want to respond, once I send the text, it automatically closes the conversation and takes me back to the hub. No more having to hit the back button twice!

Enter to send - I can now just use the enter key to send the message. So much more fluid!

Swipe to close - When I have a text conversation open, whether in the app, or from the hub, I can swipe right on the screen to close it and go back. Just like BB10!!! BBM needs to allow for this same thing.

Customization - This isn't as important to me, but I put it on here because I know it is to a lot of other people. If you like changing how things look, to suit your own style, the possibilities are endless.

If you're coming from BB10, this app is a must download. It is seriously amazing and makes the switch from what was such a fluid OS, a little more tolerable.
    Last edited by hoopitz; 06-26-17 at 06:08 PM.
    06-23-17 10:35 AM
    Let alone quick composing right from the notification pull down at the top! very pleased with it.
    06-23-17 10:39 AM
    Any negative aspects we should be aware of?

Does it integrate fully with bb hub?
    06-23-17 10:52 AM
    I didn't know what to do, other than start a thread about how incredible this app is. Without any exaggeration, Textra has easily improved my Android experience from a 5 to an 8.

Here are some of my favorite features:

Auto-close - When I'm in the hub, and I open a text, to which I want to respond, once I send the text, it automatically closes the conversation and takes me back to the hub. No more having to hit the back button twice!

Enter to send - I can now just use the enter key to send the message. So much more fluid!

Swipe to close - When I have a text conversation open, whether in the app, or from the hub, I can swipe right on the screen to close it and go back. Just like BB10!!! BBM needs to allow for this same thing.

Customization - This isn't as important to me, but I put it on here because I know it is to a lot of other people. If you like changing how things look, to suite your own style, the possibilities are endless.

If you're coming from BB10, this app is a must download. It is seriously amazing and makes the switch from what was such a fluid OS, a little more tolerable.
    Agreed 100% Did use the android stock but needed something more robust and TEXTRA is amazing !!! I recommend to everyone!!!
    06-23-17 10:59 AM
    Yes messages shows up in hub
    06-23-17 11:00 AM
    Well iv installed it. Loving the ability to text from swipe down menu.

Edit. The app really does make a difference . Loving it
    Last edited by Mercuryuser; 06-23-17 at 11:16 AM.
    06-23-17 11:03 AM
    I liked Textra as well. But ended up paying for the pro options for Yaata. I don't think it has the option to auto-close as I wouldn't want that anyway, but it's nice that Textra has the option for those who want that. Yaata has enter to send, the swipe to close goes back to the app in Yaata since it's not an overlay like Textra is, but the back button goes back to the hub. I use the back button since it's closer to where my thumbs are while typing and tapping that is less movement than swiping on the screen. I try to touch the screen as little as possible, lol. You can reply from the notification drawer as well. You can customize how chat heads behave, including auto-close after reply in those, then you can customize who gets chat heads and who doesn't. Who gets pop-up and who doesn't. Who gets no notification, such as unknown numbers or numbers not in your contacts, you can set notifications specifically for them as well, such as no notification at all if you wanted. And for me customization is really important and I found more customization options in Yaata compared to Textra. On top of the things already mentioned, you can set different sounds, LED colors, LED flash rates, vibration number and duration, what kind of notification you get, you can turn off notifications, you can set if their notification sets a status bar icon, and also what color, the colors of their incoming text bubble, and many other things for every individual contact if you want. You can change the behavior of the text editor while you scroll, date headers if they are floating or not and what format you want the date, text alignment, colors, you name it. They even have keyboard shortcuts, like t for top and b for bottom. Makes me think they are secretly BlackBerry fans, lol. If you have the time you can customize almost every individual part of Yaata, lol.

But I know that's not important to everyone, and you do have to pay for the pro version if you want to get that in-depth. Textra is definitely a good choice as well. I tried that as well before I got Yaata.
    tp0d likes this.
    06-23-17 11:27 AM
    Let alone quick composing right from the notification pull down at the top! very pleased with it.
    I assigned shortpress key "T" to quick compose, and Long press "T" to open the app
    06-23-17 11:55 AM
    Okay everyone! Now that a lot of us use Textra, lets flood the developer with suggestions to add an option to place timestamps on EVERY text bubble AND an option to add the contact photo next to every text bubble too! (i have texted the wrong person a few times now because i don't always look at the top title bar.. lol)

Let's do it!
    megafan2000 likes this.
    06-23-17 12:00 PM
    The one feature I would like to add about Textra is to be able to scroll laterally through emojis rather up and down. I like that with Textra you can select which emoji type you want, after you download the pack from iOS, Twitter and HTC I believe
    06-23-17 12:01 PM
    Now that a lot of us use Textra, lets flood the developer with suggestions to add an option to place timestamps on EVERY text bubble
    Place you finger anywhere and drag to the left.
    06-23-17 12:05 PM
    I liked Textra as well. But ended up paying for the pro options for Yaata. I don't think it has the option to auto-close as I wouldn't want that anyway, but it's nice that Textra has the option for those who want that. Yaata has enter to send, the swipe to close goes back to the app in Yaata since it's not an overlay like Textra is, but the back button goes back to the hub. I use the back button since it's closer to where my thumbs are while typing and tapping that is less movement than swiping on the screen. I try to touch the screen as little as possible, lol. You can reply from the notification drawer as well. You can customize how chat heads behave, including auto-close after reply in those, then you can customize who gets chat heads and who doesn't. Who gets pop-up and who doesn't. Who gets no notification, such as unknown numbers or numbers not in your contacts, you can set notifications specifically for them as well, such as no notification at all if you wanted. And for me customization is really important and I found more customization options in Yaata compared to Textra. On top of the things already mentioned, you can set different sounds, LED colors, LED flash rates, vibration number and duration, what kind of notification you get, you can turn off notifications, you can set if their notification sets a status bar icon, and also what color, the colors of their incoming text bubble, and many other things for every individual contact if you want. You can change the behavior of the text editor while you scroll, date headers if they are floating or not and what format you want the date, text alignment, colors, you name it. They even have keyboard shortcuts, like t for top and b for bottom. Makes me think they are secretly BlackBerry fans, lol. If you have the time you can customize almost every individual part of Yaata, lol.

But I know that's not important to everyone, and you do have to pay for the pro version if you want to get that in-depth. Textra is definitely a good choice as well. I tried that as well before I got Yaata.
    I liked yaata too but it will not send videos no matter how hard I try. If they've fixed that it's about time. I uninstalled it and a few months later tried it again. Still didn't work. Went to message+ from Verizon and it's been smooth sailing
    06-23-17 12:10 PM
    Any negative aspects we should be aware of?

Does it integrate fully with bb hub?
    Nothing that I've noticed yet. Integrates into the hub perfectly.
    06-23-17 12:13 PM
    Absolutely love it. I don't like the Android emoji so I downloaded iPhone ones, so many choices and great ability to customize. One of the very few apps I have paid for a pro version.
    06-23-17 12:21 PM
    Place you finger anywhere and drag to the left.
    Yes, I am aware of that feature.. however, i do not like it and much rather have them at the bottom of each text bubble in small print
    megafan2000 likes this.
    06-23-17 12:22 PM
    Textra is great.
    06-23-17 12:22 PM
    Can someone tell me why there is an interest to still use SMS/MMS in this day?
    Since BBM>Whatspp & even E-mail on a smartphone has become mainstream, why would you still use SMS/MMS? In Europe providers know that hardly anybody uses SMS/MMS any longer since these free options are out there (whatsapp having a billion users globally), so they often offer unlimited SMS/MMS free of charge with many contracts. I literally don't know any private person for the last couple of years who has send me an SMS/MMS or who I've send one. Is sending SMS/MMS American/Canadian practice? Why do you guys prefer this technology? Just interested to see what we're missing out here in Europe (and for example the majority of Brazil)? I think in Indonesia BBM is the biggest player and sending old school SMS/MMS also an obsolete practice.
    06-23-17 12:50 PM
    Text use to be charged per or you got so many with your plan and then charged if you went over. Now most all plans include unlimited text. For people you already have their number there is no need to sign up for any other app.
    anon(9188202) and skinnymike1 like this.
    06-23-17 12:57 PM
    I liked yaata too but it will not send videos no matter how hard I try. If they've fixed that it's about time. I uninstalled it and a few months later tried it again. Still didn't work. Went to message+ from Verizon and it's been smooth sailing
    Oh? I've literally never sent a video, ever, lol. Maybe I try it one day...
    06-23-17 01:45 PM
    Can someone tell me why there is an interest to still use SMS/MMS in this day?
    Since BBM>Whatspp & even E-mail on a smartphone has become mainstream, why would you still use SMS/MMS? In Europe providers know that hardly anybody uses SMS/MMS any longer since these free options are out there (whatsapp having a billion users globally), so they often offer unlimited SMS/MMS free of charge with many contracts. I literally don't know any private person for the last couple of years who has send me an SMS/MMS or who I've send one. Is sending SMS/MMS American/Canadian practice? Why do you guys prefer this technology? Just interested to see what we're missing out here in Europe (and for example the majority of Brazil)? I think in Indonesia BBM is the biggest player and sending old school SMS/MMS also an obsolete practice.
    I can ask the exact opposite. In the USA, every phone plan includes unlimited texts. EVERYONE has texts, not everyone has whatsapp or any one other messenger app. If you want to go by that, you'll have to download several different messenger apps to cover all of your friends. ALL of my friends have text and it's already included. So why should I hand over all of my information to 5 other companies? How is SMS obsolete? I type a message, press enter, my friend gets it. Where's the issue?
    06-23-17 01:47 PM
    Textra is by far the best SMS app there is. it integrates fully with the Hub and simulates the BB10 experience quite nicely.
    06-23-17 01:48 PM
    I can ask the exact opposite. In the USA, every phone plan includes unlimited texts. EVERYONE has texts, not everyone has whatsapp or any one other messenger app. If you want to go by that, you'll have to download several different messenger apps to cover all of your friends. ALL of my friends have text and it's already included. So why should I hand over all of my information to 5 other companies? How is SMS obsolete? I type a message, press enter, my friend gets it. Where's the issue?
    You're right. SMS is the one thing that everyone has, guaranteed. It's death was greatly exaggerated.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    06-23-17 01:49 PM
    yes... I can always tell which of my friends is from europe based on the fact that they have whatsapp installed. in the usa, ppl above a certain age group sms txt a lot. I think people here under a certain age use snapchat and kik more tho
    06-23-17 01:51 PM
    we also have had free sms for a long time now with all our carriers. maybe for more than a decade.
    06-23-17 01:52 PM
    Just a heads up. If you're at all interested in using RCS, stick with Google Messages. Otherwise, Textra is a great SMS handler on Android.
    06-23-17 01:58 PM
130 123 ...