I don't install apps that contain ads and can't opt out from analytics.

PrivacyApp - Textra SMS
    They don't share anything personal or actual conversations. Just usage trends.
    I don't have anything to hide. Don't back up in cloud then for Apple or Google.
    Textra is ad free if you pay small one time fee. Show me that Google or Apple don't use analytics to make your message service better? Everyone does.
    07-26-17 07:15 AM
    I can ask the exact opposite. In the USA, every phone plan includes unlimited texts. EVERYONE has texts, not everyone has whatsapp or any one other messenger app. If you want to go by that, you'll have to download several different messenger apps to cover all of your friends. ALL of my friends have text and it's already included. So why should I hand over all of my information to 5 other companies? How is SMS obsolete? I type a message, press enter, my friend gets it. Where's the issue?
    The teachers in my company who use SMS texts are the laughing stock of the school. It's seen as old fashioned and very out of date. In Spain people belong to so many groups and send so many photos and videos that sms or mms, if I still exists are irrelevant and somewhat weird.
    The one good point you make is bwlonging to the same messenger platform, which killwd BB messenger. one Irish friend uses Viber (seems popular there) . he wouldnt install whatsapp. so I installed Viber. no biggie.
    However, in Spain, I'd say whatsapp is practically the only messenger. So , in the end we re all using just one. Even the American parents at my son's school converted.
    Yep, SMS is dead in Spain save for technophobes and telephone company spammers.
    07-26-17 08:33 AM
    I just installed it this morning... its wonderful! "Enter to Send" is by itself worth the switch!
    07-26-17 01:50 PM
    Agreed it's sooooo much better than the stock!
    07-26-17 01:51 PM
    The teachers in my company who use SMS texts are the laughing stock of the school. It's seen as old fashioned and very out of date. In Spain people belong to so many groups and send so many photos and videos that sms or mms, if I still exists are irrelevant and somewhat weird.
    The one good point you make is bwlonging to the same messenger platform, which killwd BB messenger. one Irish friend uses Viber (seems popular there) . he wouldnt install whatsapp. so I installed Viber. no biggie.
    However, in Spain, I'd say whatsapp is practically the only messenger. So , in the end we re all using just one. Even the American parents at my son's school converted.
    Isn't using whassap sending sms/mms! It just a "term" to describe the types of wireless messaging! It is the messaging standard!
    07-26-17 03:45 PM
    Isn't using whassap sending sms/mms! It just a "term" to describe the types of wireless messaging! It is the messaging standard!
    No, WhatsApp uses data only whether it's WiFi or Network. Your phone number which WhatsApp uses is for registration and finding your contacts that also use WhatsApp
    07-26-17 03:59 PM
    What kind of strange self esteem disorder must someone have to worry about what other people are using or whether some people are "laughing" at him/her for using a certain service or app? I mean seriously. I couldn't care less if the person next to me is using sms, whatsapp, viber, or whatever. I really don't get people who actually would care about that. Those people must really have absolutely nothing in their lives to be proud of to pat themselves on their backs for something as trivial and stupid as that...
    07-26-17 04:05 PM
    Apps like Whatsapp can utilize a data connection so it can still continue to work even on WiFi and no cell connection. Which is why some of them are able to make a computer client as well so you can chat without your smartphone. Sending pics and videos over SMS/MMS is not the best option anymore since smartphones take higher quality content.

But yeah, if I have to text then it's with Textra.
    07-26-17 04:07 PM
    Yes but yer still sending sms/mms but over a data channel!?
    07-26-17 04:16 PM
    Can someone tell me why there is an interest to still use SMS/MMS in this day?
    Since BBM>Whatspp & even E-mail on a smartphone has become mainstream, why would you still use SMS/MMS? In Europe providers know that hardly anybody uses SMS/MMS any longer since these free options are out there (whatsapp having a billion users globally), so they often offer unlimited SMS/MMS free of charge with many contracts. I literally don't know any private person for the last couple of years who has send me an SMS/MMS or who I've send one. Is sending SMS/MMS American/Canadian practice? Why do you guys prefer this technology? Just interested to see what we're missing out here in Europe (and for example the majority of Brazil)? I think in Indonesia BBM is the biggest player and sending old school SMS/MMS also an obsolete practice.
    Well, my experience here in Canada is exactly the opposite.
    SMS/MMS is generally unlimited on cell contracts. I don't know ANYONE who uses Whatsapp or even BBM any more.

I started out before BBM was multi-platform, my family had iPhones, so we used text as our cross-platform communication.

Email has its drawbacks: many of my family share an email address and so if you want to send a message you're getting both spouses rather than just the one you want to talk to.

Additionally, many of my family live in remote areas (rural) in Canada and text is MUCH more reliable than email. Texts will often get through when emails are not getting through.

At the end of the argument, I think it's also one of those things where you get used to using texts and then don't bother to use or set up other apps.
    07-26-17 04:40 PM
    Well, I am very old fashioned, so being a text person works for me!
    Interestingly, when I need to "group", or be involved in a group, I use Facebook / Messenger.

In Spain do people use FB/Messenger less and rely more on Whatsapp?

As a side note, installing multiple messaging apps to talk to multiple people - there's something that would just irritate me. That's one of the things that I really like about the Hub, is having all of my important notifications in one spot.
    07-26-17 04:45 PM
    Yes but yer still sending sms/mms but over a data channel!?
    It's a different connection for sms/mms which is why there are different charges for sms/mms vs data. That's why there are text plans and Data plans separately. Just Google it for a more detailed explanation.
    07-26-17 04:52 PM
    Okay everyone! Now that a lot of us use Textra, lets flood the developer with suggestions to add an option to place timestamps on EVERY text bubble AND an option to add the contact photo next to every text bubble too! (i have texted the wrong person a few times now because i don't always look at the top title bar.. lol)

Let's do it!
    Blinkers other texting App called EVOLVE SMS blows textra out of the water.. Evolve is rock solid!!!! Have PRO.. also had textra but prefer EVOLVE For sure....

Posted via CB10
    07-26-17 05:09 PM
    Blinkers other texting App called EVOLVE SMS blows textra out of the water.. Evolve is rock solid!!!! Have PRO.. also had textra but prefer EVOLVE For sure....

Posted via CB10
    Sounds like you are advertising :-)
    07-26-17 06:02 PM
    No I know it's a different connection but isn't it still called sms/sms over a data connection tho?
    07-26-17 06:05 PM
    Sounds like you are advertising :-)
    LOL, it's same dev I believe and I am not him.. hah.
    Just an opinion.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-17 09:52 PM
    Since BBM>Whatspp & even E-mail on a smartphone has become mainstream, why would you still use SMS/MMS?
    BBM. Mainstream. 2017.

Comedy gold.
    07-27-17 11:55 PM
    I switched from Textra to Yaata when I got my K1. I got sick of the lack of hub integration. Unless it's changed, but there was literally no way to click a message in the hub and have it take you to a full screen app.
    You made a wise choice my friend.
    07-28-17 12:00 AM
    anecdotes are anecdotes. fact is, in surveys, about two thirds of Canadians use SMS/MMS - with most sms/mms users using it daily.

I'm not advocating. I use SMS via android messages or texts (can't decide) and whatsapp ....

just stating the facts. and I bet the numbers are similar in the US
    08-02-17 08:52 AM
    In Spain, young people use everything: Whatsapp FB, Instagram, Twenti and others that someone over 50 like myself has never heard of.

People have loads of whatsapp groups for every conceivable type of interest and one-off events:
    Birthdays (especially surprise ones)
    Trips
    Holidays
    outings
    Parents class groups . plenty of american parents on our one here
    friends interest groups that act as private forums: e.g, biking mates, cycling mates, boating mates, dog walking friends, etc, etc,
    Clubs: they send out updates and events news
    Neighbours groups,
    project groups,
    family groups
    KEYone waiting room for a group of locals (does anyone without whatsapp or a K1 want to try it and see how it would work?)
    KEYone screen problem group
    KEYone interest group
    KEYone get the black version group
    etc, etc,..... you name it.

You can share videos and photos and have them all in the same place for each group.
    You can't do this on SMS, and you wouldn't want to set up separate FB accounts for each of the above.

Viber or Telegram aren't really used here, so you can count on everyone having a Whatsapp account, except for people without internet or smartphoness.
    The downside is that you can look at your whatapp and have over 100 messages waiting. At least you have the option to join 'em or not.

Right now, like most people, I couldn't live without it, and it's a deal-breaker on a phone.
    I'm really surprised on that it's so rare in NA.

Once you try it, you wonder what took you so long to get it.
    08-02-17 09:17 AM
    im on textra. anyone getting blurry pictures when sent from friends iphones ?
    08-02-17 01:33 PM
    im on textra. anyone getting blurry pictures when sent from friends iphones ?
    are you sure this isn't a carrier issue? i know all pictures and video sent thru SMS are reduced to 1mb on T-Mobile.
    08-02-17 01:43 PM
    are you sure this isn't a carrier issue? i know all pictures and video sent thru SMS are reduced to 1mb on T-Mobile.
    it has to be. so your pictures are blurry too ?
    08-02-17 01:49 PM
    it has to be. so your pictures are blurry too ?
    they get compressed, yes.. but they are pretty clear IMO.. (could also be because the KEYone has a smaller screen? haha!)

but it can also be the iphone's settings when sending to non-iphones.. do some experimentation with other phones and have the iphone send the same image to both and troubleshoot.

if you are receiving it, then it's the iphone's settings and carrier. If you are sending it, then it's your KEYone and carrier
    08-02-17 01:57 PM
    they get compressed, yes.. but they are pretty clear IMO.. (could also be because the KEYone has a smaller screen? haha!)

but it can also be the iphone's settings when sending to non-iphones.. do some experimentation with other phones and have the iphone send the same image to both and troubleshoot.

if you are receiving it, then it's the iphone's settings and carrier. If you are sending it, then it's your KEYone and carrier
    well its pretty clear until you see what the original res looks like..
    08-02-17 02:04 PM
130 ... 3456