Love Textra, also used it on my android phones before my KeyOne
    06-24-17 10:20 AM
    OK, you asked for it :P
    Disable the stock phone app and assign a contact to a key shortcut. Now that the phone app is disabled use the shortcut to call that person, what do you see? Do you see any kind of dialer of any sort? Do you have access to the in phone options? No, you don't because there is no app to show you those options but the services behind the app are still running. This also happens if you have another app installed for managing phone calls and the call log.
    The same is with the sms app you can disable the app but the services will still run, either way each app installed eats up RAM and until the RAM management issue is sorted out I will use the default apps since the difference between textra and the messenger app are really small for my taste.
    I'm not having any issues at all with RAM management on mine. But I only have 89 apps installed, so maybe that's why... Either way, for me, the notifications customization and the GUI customization IS the only real difference between SMS app. They all just send and receive messages, don't see what functionality changes there needs to be. I like knowing who is messaging me without looking at my phone or waking up the screen. With Yaata, my close friends and loved ones get their own LED colors and notification sounds. I also enjoy pressing enter to send and think needing to reach up to tap a small icon every time is completely nonsensical. Why the f do I ever need to enter a new line in a SMS?? So for me, it's definitely worth it.

And regarding the RAM, so when you go into the app details to see how much memory they use, is the number the system provides including or not including the services? Because like on my PC, the services are on the backend, the program itself still uses more RAM on top of that. Is it the same on the phone? So disabling the messenger app won't disable the services, but the app itself (meaning the interface portion) is still not using any RAM anymore is that right? So you're basically just replacing one interface portion with another interface portion, both using the same services. I still don't see the issue. What I've said about one replacing the other is still valid. But of course, I'm pretty sure you're right that Textra by itself simply uses more RAM than the stock messenger app since it has a more complex interface system. But how much more? Do I need to reactivate my messenger app or do you think you can tell me how much the messenger app uses in the memory? Would you be so kind?
    06-24-17 10:33 AM
    I'm not having any issues at all with RAM management on mine. But I only have 89 apps installed, so maybe that's why... Either way, for me, the notifications customization and the GUI customization IS the only real difference between SMS app. They all just send and receive messages, don't see what functionality changes there needs to be. I like knowing who is messaging me without looking at my phone or waking up the screen. With Yaata, my close friends and loved ones get their own LED colors and notification sounds. I also enjoy pressing enter to send and think needing to reach up to tap a small icon every time is completely nonsensical. Why the f do I ever need to enter a new line in a SMS?? So for me, it's definitely worth it.

And regarding the RAM, so when you go into the app details to see how much memory they use, is the number the system provides including or not including the services? Because like on my PC, the services are on the backend, the program itself still uses more RAM on top of that. Is it the same on the phone? So disabling the messenger app won't disable the services, but the app itself (meaning the interface portion) is still not using any RAM anymore is that right? So you're basically just replacing one interface portion with another interface portion, both using the same services. I still don't see the issue. What I've said about one replacing the other is still valid. But of course, I'm pretty sure you're right that Textra by itself simply uses more RAM than the stock messenger app since it has a more complex interface system. But how much more? Do I need to reactivate my messenger app or do you think you can tell me how much the messenger app uses in the memory? Would you be so kind?
    I have 77 apps installed and I don't have RAM issues but from what I can tell K1 is eating more RAM with less apps installed than Priv with a lot more, BBM definitely needs to tweak the RAM management a bit even more now than before since apps are forced closed after the June update
    Right no the default messenger app is @ 5.7 MB usage.
    I'm not a developer so I don't really know how the RAM management is made but the more complex the app you install the more RAM it will consume and textra is pretty complex compared to the default sms app.
    06-24-17 10:55 AM
    Can someone tell me why there is an interest to still use SMS/MMS in this day?
    Even though RCS has been around for a few years there is a "renewed or continued " effort if you will, by Google to have their version adopted by the industry as the standard.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/23/google-rcs/

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/google-support-for-rcs/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_C...ation_Services
    06-24-17 12:51 PM
    I actually removed Textra today! I was conflicted as it is a really nice smooth App for messaging! However what swayed me is the upcoming RCS enhancements upcoming with Rogers Wireless. Loved the send by enter key as this is a great feature!
    06-24-17 03:57 PM
    I too like Textra but it doesn't work with Android Auto or RCS so I deleted
    06-24-17 06:58 PM
    I liked Textra as well. But ended up paying for the pro options for Yaata. I don't think it has the option to auto-close as I wouldn't want that anyway, but it's nice that Textra has the option for those who want that. Yaata has enter to send, the swipe to close goes back to the app in Yaata since it's not an overlay like Textra is, but the back button goes back to the hub. I use the back button since it's closer to where my thumbs are while typing and tapping that is less movement than swiping on the screen. I try to touch the screen as little as possible, lol. You can reply from the notification drawer as well. You can customize how chat heads behave, including auto-close after reply in those, then you can customize who gets chat heads and who doesn't. Who gets pop-up and who doesn't. Who gets no notification, such as unknown numbers or numbers not in your contacts, you can set notifications specifically for them as well, such as no notification at all if you wanted. And for me customization is really important and I found more customization options in Yaata compared to Textra. On top of the things already mentioned, you can set different sounds, LED colors, LED flash rates, vibration number and duration, what kind of notification you get, you can turn off notifications, you can set if their notification sets a status bar icon, and also what color, the colors of their incoming text bubble, and many other things for every individual contact if you want. You can change the behavior of the text editor while you scroll, date headers if they are floating or not and what format you want the date, text alignment, colors, you name it. They even have keyboard shortcuts, like t for top and b for bottom. Makes me think they are secretly BlackBerry fans, lol. If you have the time you can customize almost every individual part of Yaata, lol.

But I know that's not important to everyone, and you do have to pay for the pro version if you want to get that in-depth. Textra is definitely a good choice as well. I tried that as well before I got Yaata.
    Since you used Textra and Yaata extensively, how do you compare the way you view media exchanged via MMS? I like the way Textra arranges the media like an album, similar to iPhone. Does Yaata have a similar function?
    06-25-17 10:42 AM
    Enter to send is a necessity when you have a pkb. I'm annoyed it doesn't work in Discord. I'm going to try Textra since that'll at least fix sms.
    06-25-17 10:56 AM
    I can ask the exact opposite. In the USA, every phone plan includes unlimited texts. EVERYONE has texts, not everyone has whatsapp or any one other messenger app. If you want to go by that, you'll have to download several different messenger apps to cover all of your friends. ALL of my friends have text and it's already included. So why should I hand over all of my information to 5 other companies? How is SMS obsolete? I type a message, press enter, my friend gets it. Where's the issue?
    This right here. The only times that say bbm or another text app is good for me is if I'm in an area where I can only connect WiFi. But then Verizon finally turned WiFi calling on my priv with the last os update. I used to use bbm to call my kids or parents over WiFi. Don't need to now
    06-25-17 11:09 AM
    I've been using Pulse SMS as I found Textra has become laggy to start and sluggish to respond at times. Pulse also offers Web to send messages, although I switched it off.
    06-25-17 07:19 PM
    Only bad thing I found is once I hit send, it pulls me out of the app. I have multiple items to write , but need to go back into the app. "Enter" for send...BEST THING EVER
    06-25-17 07:31 PM
    Is there a way to save a contact from within Textra? I sent a text to a new contact and then tried to save as a new contact but am unable to find the option to do so. I had to initiate a call from within Textra and then from the phone app I could save.

BB10 was was more intuitive and productive in terms of design.
    06-26-17 06:55 AM
    Only bad thing I found is once I hit send, it pulls me out of the app. I have multiple items to write , but need to go back into the app. "Enter" for send...BEST THING EVER
    Go into Textra --> Settings --> Customize Notifications --> Turn off "Auto Close Quick Reply"
    gqmovement likes this.
    06-26-17 11:10 AM
    I have been using Textra for about a week. Decided to try out Yaata today. Textra just wouldn't save the notification sound which is too big a bug for me to deal with.

Yaata has a plethora of settings to change nearly every single aspect of it. I spent probably a whole hour working my way through the maze of settings to get it customized. so far so good. Except that it seems like a very laggy app unfortunately. whenever opening a message from the hub it takes a few seconds to load the message and draw the screen. Plan to use it for a few more days and see how it goes.
    06-26-17 01:58 PM
    I too have been a textra user for over 6 months now. Originally downloaded for the ability to press enter to send and bought the paid version for some of the added features. So used to the app that I can't do without. It's is super intuitive.
    06-26-17 02:22 PM
    I have been using Textra for about a week. Decided to try out Yaata today. Textra just wouldn't save the notification sound which is too big a bug for me to deal with.

Yaata has a plethora of settings to change nearly every single aspect of it. I spent probably a whole hour working my way through the maze of settings to get it customized. so far so good. Except that it seems like a very laggy app unfortunately. whenever opening a message from the hub it takes a few seconds to load the message and draw the screen. Plan to use it for a few more days and see how it goes.
    When I first got my phone, it was having the "SD Card Unexpectedly removed" error, and it reset my ringtones every time. Ever since moving the tone over to device storage and selecting it from there I haven't had problems with tones going back to default

This is most likely what's going on with your phone.

Ever since the June update I think I am assuming I am still getting the SD Card Unexpectedly removed error, but it automatically dismisses itself. So I see the screen wake up, but with no notifications.

The error itself isn't messing up my card and it's still working perfectly.. it just wakes up my screen.
    06-26-17 04:45 PM
    When I first got my phone, it was having the "SD Card Unexpectedly removed" error, and it reset my ringtones every time. Ever since moving the tone over to device storage and selecting it from there I haven't had problems with tones going back to default

This is most likely what's going on with your phone.

Ever since the June update I think I am assuming I am still getting the SD Card Unexpectedly removed error, but it automatically dismisses itself. So I see the screen wake up, but with no notifications.

The error itself isn't messing up my card and it's still working perfectly.. it just wakes up my screen.
    I have heard about that issue, but I am just using a stock ringtone. No matter what it is set to, it disappears after an hour or so and shows up as a number in the settings. Others have said it is a Nougat bug, but so far none of my other apps have had this problem.
    06-26-17 04:55 PM
    I was actually experiencing a bad user experience with textra to the point that I I installed. it was causing my PRIV some serious lag and battery life decrease. I switched to Signal, which I highly recommend now that it's incorporated into Hub. encrypted texts along with most of the options the OP listed. and it's smooth...never lags
    06-26-17 05:53 PM
    Can someone tell me why there is an interest to still use SMS/MMS in this day?
    Since BBM>Whatspp & even E-mail on a smartphone has become mainstream, why would you still use SMS/MMS?
    Don't even compare sms / mms. Sms is for the cell phone like the email for the computer/internet
    And now almost everybody has unlimited sms. When you need to contact someone via text, you aways be confident in sms. It never fails.

Whatsapp and the others is more like the mms substitute
    Guess mms is a dead platform now

Posted via CB10
    06-29-17 03:46 PM
    My favorite feature is I can set a 9 second delay before a message is sent, in case I actually don't to send said message.

Because you never know.......... 🤔
    06-29-17 04:29 PM
    My group chats come in single texts instead of in one thread. I have to click on each text to see what each person in the conversation is saying. Is there is a setting that could fix this? otherwise I need to find another app because I do a lot of group chats with family.
    06-30-17 10:03 AM
    Ended up ditching it. Pointless bloat for me due to how rarely I use texts.
    06-30-17 10:11 AM
    Is there a way to save a contact from within Textra? I sent a text to a new contact and then tried to save as a new contact but am unable to find the option to do so. I had to initiate a call from within Textra and then from the phone app I could save.

BB10 was was more intuitive and productive in terms of design.
    Go into the conversation --> Select the down arrow in the upper right corner --> Select the 3 dots near the phone number you want to save (Under People in Conversation) --> Add Contact

I had this same question, until i searched it in the built-in "support forum" section of the app..
    06-30-17 01:07 PM
    My group chats come in single texts instead of in one thread. I have to click on each text to see what each person in the conversation is saying. Is there is a setting that could fix this? otherwise I need to find another app because I do a lot of group chats with family.
    assuming you are using Textra

Settings --> Under "messaging" section, select Group Messaging and select "Chat"
    06-30-17 01:10 PM
    that is my setting that's why I was wondering if there was another setting that I was missing.
    06-30-17 01:47 PM
130 12345 ...