Just started using it. Like it so far.

Swipe left to delete half typed contacts doesn't work though.
    06-23-17 03:18 PM
    No one mentioned the feature "scheduled sms". You can schedule a sms to be sent at a later time or another day.
    That my friends is golden
    06-23-17 03:46 PM
    No one mentioned the feature "scheduled sms". You can schedule a sms to be sent at a later time or another day.
    That my friends is golden
    Think most of these 3rd party sms apps could do that. Well, don't think the stock one could though.
    06-23-17 05:03 PM
    I switched from Textra to Yaata when I got my K1. I got sick of the lack of hub integration. Unless it's changed, but there was literally no way to click a message in the hub and have it take you to a full screen app.
    06-23-17 06:12 PM
    I used textra for the past year and a half on my Priv, but not on K1. I did a quick comparison between the two and I found that there is very little functionality that textra adds compared to the regular sms app.
    Aside from sending a msg with enter key, setting the dark theme and having quick compose I see no need to have textra installed on my phone.
    Textra offers a lot of customization GUI wise but not much else, so why have an app eat RAM when the plain old sms app is almost as good as textra.
    06-23-17 06:26 PM
    I used textra for the past year and a half on my Priv, but not on K1. I did a quick comparison between the two and I found that there is very little functionality that textra adds compared to the regular sms app.
    Aside from sending a msg with enter key, setting the dark theme and having quick compose I see no need to have textra installed on my phone.
    Textra offers a lot of customization GUI wise but not much else, so why have an app eat RAM when the plain old sms app is almost as good as textra.
    Because you replace the old app. It doesn't "eat more ram" because both are not running at the same time...
    06-23-17 06:59 PM
    I switched from Textra to Yaata when I got my K1. I got sick of the lack of hub integration. Unless it's changed, but there was literally no way to click a message in the hub and have it take you to a full screen app.
    it now takes you to the full screen overlay when in hub, which i like very much. There's a setting that you can enable if you want it to go into the full app, but I don't like that.
    06-23-17 07:02 PM
    it now takes you to the full screen overlay when in hub, which i like very much. There's a setting that you can enable if you want it to go into the full app, but I don't like that.
    Unfortunately there is no way to disable the overlay, which I find incredibly annoying. The option you mention does not work from the hub. But that's the beauty of android. Options. But if you want perfect hub integration, it's yaata.
    06-23-17 07:22 PM
    I don't think that's what he meant by full screen. He wants it to actually go to a full screen message, and not just an overlay. I know in the end it's a subtle difference, but Yaata satisfies that for him, and I like it too.
    06-23-17 07:47 PM
    agreed textra is awesome!
    06-23-17 07:48 PM
    Okay everyone! Now that a lot of us use Textra, lets flood the developer with suggestions to add an option to place timestamps on EVERY text bubble AND an option to add the contact photo next to every text bubble too! (i have texted the wrong person a few times now because i don't always look at the top title bar.. lol)

Let's do it!
    Timestamp can be found by dragging the messages to the left slightly. Then they slide into view.
    06-23-17 10:30 PM
    My one qualm with Textra is that it does not save the notification sound. It saves the sound preference for no more than an hour or so, and then the sound quits working and is changed to a random number in the settings. Using a stock sound, not a custom ringtone either.
    06-23-17 10:37 PM
    Timestamp can be found by dragging the messages to the left slightly. Then they slide into view.
    Again, I know this and I don't like that. I would rather it be in the every text bubble in small font
    06-23-17 11:02 PM
    Again, I know this and I don't like that. I would rather it be in the every text bubble in small font
    Yaata can do that...
    06-23-17 11:49 PM
    You can customize if it combines consecutive text bubbles or not, and if yes you can set what the maximum time apart they were received before they are combined, or like I've said, have them all separate with their own timestamp.
    06-23-17 11:51 PM
    I can ask the exact opposite. In the USA, every phone plan includes unlimited texts. EVERYONE has texts, not everyone has whatsapp or any one other messenger app. If you want to go by that, you'll have to download several different messenger apps to cover all of your friends. ALL of my friends have text and it's already included. So why should I hand over all of my information to 5 other companies? How is SMS obsolete? I type a message, press enter, my friend gets it. Where's the issue?
    In the USA you can use SMS to text someone in California from New York at no extra charge. In Europe there may be a charge to text from Portugal to Estonia. Different countries may have restrictions. With Whatsapp those charges or restrictions are bypassed because the service is internet based. Europeans across border lines within and outside of the EU don't share the same carrier networks like we do here in the US.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-24-17 01:05 AM
    Yaata can do that...
    Yes, but a lot of the features are paid, and I don't like going into the app and prefer the overlay Textra has.
    06-24-17 01:37 AM
    T=77

Posted via CB10 from my 100-4 Passport SE
    06-24-17 02:15 AM
    Because you replace the old app. It doesn't "eat more ram" because both are not running at the same time...
    I don't know what this "old app" means since the messenger/sms/mms app on the Priv is the same one from K1.
    I was referring to the fact that textra uses more RAM than the default messenger app not that they both run at the same time.... although if you think about it, some of the services used by the messenger are used also by textra, thus messenger is also running for those services to be available and you have also textra running.
    Either way, I stopped using textra for now.
    06-24-17 03:18 AM
    Exactly!
    06-24-17 05:44 AM
    In the USA you can use SMS to text someone in California from New York at no extra charge. In Europe there may be a charge to text from Portugal to Estonia. Different countries may have restrictions. With Whatsapp those charges or restrictions are bypassed because the service is internet based. Europeans across border lines within and outside of the EU don't share the same carrier networks like we do here in the US.
    I know, that's why I specifically pointed out "In the USA" in my post. I know for other countries sometimes SMS isn't free in their plan. Also, if someone lives in the USA and has a lot of international contacts, those messenger apps would be better as well. My wife has a lot of friends and family in her home country, and my mother as well. Both of them use Whatsapp because of that. So I can see why they use it. I only posted that because of the inevitable "oh, why do people still use SMS? It's so obsolete and uncool." Comment from the "newer has to be better" crowd...
    06-24-17 09:21 AM
    Yes, but a lot of the features are paid, and I don't like going into the app and prefer the overlay Textra has.
    Ok, well, I guess that answers your question then. Learn to live with it.
    06-24-17 09:22 AM
    I don't know what this "old app" means since the messenger/sms/mms app on the Priv is the same one from K1.
    I was referring to the fact that textra uses more RAM than the default messenger app not that they both run at the same time.... although if you think about it, some of the services used by the messenger are used also by textra, thus messenger is also running for those services to be available and you have also textra running.
    Either way, I stopped using textra for now.
    Really? I disabled the messenger app and Yaata still works the same way it did before. *shrug*

And how much memory does the stock messenger app use? Mine is disabled so it is just greyed out when I check.
    06-24-17 09:25 AM
    My one qualm with Textra is that it does not save the notification sound. It saves the sound preference for no more than an hour or so, and then the sound quits working and is changed to a random number in the settings. Using a stock sound, not a custom ringtone either.
    I think that's an n thing. Happens on my phone with different apps.
    06-24-17 09:33 AM
    Really? I disabled the messenger app and Yaata still works the same way it did before. *shrug*

And how much memory does the stock messenger app use? Mine is disabled so it is just greyed out when I check.
    OK, you asked for it :P
    Disable the stock phone app and assign a contact to a key shortcut. Now that the phone app is disabled use the shortcut to call that person, what do you see? Do you see any kind of dialer of any sort? Do you have access to the in phone options? No, you don't because there is no app to show you those options but the services behind the app are still running. This also happens if you have another app installed for managing phone calls and the call log.
    The same is with the sms app you can disable the app but the services will still run, either way each app installed eats up RAM and until the RAM management issue is sorted out I will use the default apps since the difference between textra and the messenger app are really small for my taste.
    06-24-17 10:02 AM
130 1234 ...