Just an interesting note, if you enable the root switch in engineering mode, there are quite a few things to explore in /system/bin using adb. Too many things to list here, but share if you discover anything interesting (check out toybox from the shell for a concise listing of the more functional available commands). Some of these commands are available typically without root but some I have never seen before (i.e. vendor_cmd_tool and mfgUtil). For what it's worth, it appears the way to reboot to diagnostic mode is to power off the phone, hold the volume up and down buttons simultaneously, and plug in USB port (while still holding volume buttons until solid green light turns on). I haven't quite found the right driver for the COM port but let me know if anyone knows it. Just a note also, when you reboot from diag mode, your alarm will go off if you have one set, so maybe mute that if you are at work before doing this.....lesson learned the hard way).
    07-18-17 07:10 AM
    Cool find! @Cobalt232 and others...any input?
    FF22 likes this.
    07-18-17 08:29 AM
    you will end up with a paperweight
    07-18-17 08:54 AM
    you will end up with a paperweight
    Probably only if he manages to change something critical.
    Last edited by BB-JAM215; 07-18-17 at 06:25 PM.
    07-18-17 06:10 PM
    Will this set off the DTEK app?

Posted via CB10
    07-19-17 01:13 PM
    Will this set off the DTEK app?

Posted via CB10
    Has not been an issue for me yet. Meddling with other things beyond flipping the root switch could though.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-19-17 01:39 PM
    I just wanted to add mucking about with Android at the root level is NOT for novices as it could brick your phone and can void warranty! This level of making changes is better suited for an advanced android user.....be warned!
    BigBadWulf and NightFire like this.
    07-19-17 01:44 PM
    If anyone is interested, you can install the qualcomm usb diagnostic drivers and place the phone in modem mode and QPST, QFIL, etc. will recognize the device and you can do various QPST/QFIL, etc. activities. Let me know if anyone is interested and I can point you to the drivers.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-21-17 07:34 AM
    This is probably an appropriate thread to ask... how the heck do you enable engineering mode on this damn thing?... 😁
    07-21-17 08:37 AM
    This is probably an appropriate thread to ask... how the heck do you enable engineering mode on this damn thing?... ������
    Download app from play store called "secret Codes" it has all valid dialer codes for your device. The icon looks like a magic wand. The engineering mode dialer code is *#*#2637643#*#* then root switch is dimly showed in settings at the bottom
    annon91221 likes this.
    07-21-17 09:56 AM
    This is probably an appropriate thread to ask... how the heck do you enable engineering mode on this damn thing?... ������
    Did you try the forum search?
    07-21-17 10:49 AM
    Just an interesting note, if you enable the root switch in engineering mode, there are quite a few things to explore in /system/bin using adb.
    I can cd into /system/bin without toggling the root switch just fine.

mfgUtil seems to be to query system info like IMEI, Bluetooth MAC, WiFi MAC, etc. Just run it like mfgUtil --help .

But what we really need is write access to the /system partition somehow - or the permission to remount the partition read-write:

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /system
    Which only works if you can run tools as the root user.

Another good thing would be the possibility to flash/run custom recoveries.
    07-21-17 11:12 AM
    Download app from play store called "secret Codes" it has all valid dialer codes for your device. The icon looks like a magic wand. The engineering mode dialer code is *#*#2637643#*#* then root switch is dimly showed in settings at the bottom
    Or just download Activity Launcher and launch it from there. - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tivitylauncher
    annon91221 likes this.
    07-21-17 12:57 PM