Hi,

I have a BlackBerry KeyOne.

A few months ago I went to make a telephone call and - when no sound came through the ear speaker - realised that my bluetooth headphones - which were in my pocket - were still turned on. I panicked, powered off the headphones and "then" hung up the call (which was answered while I was stressing about the ear speaker).

I then went to make the call again, but the ear speaker was not working.

I theorised that by turning off the headphones - from the headphones - while audio was being routed to them, the bluetooth software on the phone didn't register that it needed to turn the speaker back on, and then the call was ended.

But I'd also dropped the phone earlier that day and couldn't be sure I'd not dislodged the ear speaker.

I tried various forms of resetting the phone and a factory reset, but nothing worked to get sound out of the ear speaker (mic and bluetooth still worked). In the end I sent the phone to repair under warranty assuming that the ear speaker itself was broken.

When the phone came back from the BlackBerry repair centre it worked again, but all it seems they did (according to the repair report) was upgrade the OS, which I'm guessing removed a software flag flag that tells the phone to route audio away from the ear speaker.

I'd wiped my phone, and gone without it for over a month, and the issue wasn't hardware at all.

I've just done it again. I made a phone call with my bluetooth headphones sat on the desk connected, and in the panic to deal with an answered call, powered off the headset rather than cancelled the call.

Once again I've disabled the ear speaker. Does anyone have an idea on how to resolve this without sending it back to be repaired. There's no OS update available to repeat the magic fix
    12-05-19 06:12 PM
    Hi,

I have a BlackBerry KeyOne.

A few months ago I went to make a telephone call and - when no sound came through the ear speaker - realised that my bluetooth headphones - which were in my pocket - were still turned on. I panicked, powered off the headphones and "then" hung up the call (which was answered while I was stressing about the ear speaker).

I then went to make the call again, but the ear speaker was not working.

I theorised that by turning off the headphones - from the headphones - while audio was being routed to them, the bluetooth software on the phone didn't register that it needed to turn the speaker back on, and then the call was ended.

But I'd also dropped the phone earlier that day and couldn't be sure I'd not dislodged the ear speaker.

I tried various forms of resetting the phone and a factory reset, but nothing worked to get sound out of the ear speaker (mic and bluetooth still worked). In the end I sent the phone to repair under warranty assuming that the ear speaker itself was broken.

When the phone came back from the BlackBerry repair centre it worked again, but all it seems they did (according to the repair report) was upgrade the OS, which I'm guessing removed a software flag flag that tells the phone to route audio away from the ear speaker.

I'd wiped my phone, and gone without it for over a month, and the issue wasn't hardware at all.

I've just done it again. I made a phone call with my bluetooth headphones sat on the desk connected, and in the panic to deal with an answered call, powered off the headset rather than cancelled the call.

Once again I've disabled the ear speaker. Does anyone have an idea on how to resolve this without sending it back to be repaired. There's no OS update available to repeat the magic fix
    Try doing a 32 second reboot
    12-05-19 06:40 PM
    doesn't work, tried that last time round too
    12-05-19 08:24 PM
    cycle BT speaker oln again and then off correctly
    12-06-19 11:04 AM
    Also doesn't work. Neither does cycling sound through the headphone jack.

I did a hardware test using *#2886# and no sound came through the discrete speaker test.

My theory is that there is either an OS/Kernel level glitch in Android (or the blackberry implementation of Android) or a firmware glitch on the soundcard (or whatever bit of hardware routes the audio between ear-speaker, audio out and bluetooth. I suspect that a hardware flag is created telling the device where to route the sound, and by powering off the headset from the headset, and then ending the call, that flag got left behind.

I spoke to BlackBerry MobileCare, and the tech on the phone agreed that I was probably right, and we've got an RMA ticket logged. I just need to
    put together a covering note outlining how I replicated the fault, so that they can fix it, patch my phone so it can't happen again, and then get a dev ticket logged wherever it needs to be logged.

However.

Last night I was out, and had my headset to hand so I could make calls before I post the phone off on Monday. I got down to 20% battery and so turned off my phone for a few hours. Today I just made a phone call completely forgetting the ear speaker was dead, and it worked. I guess the flag is stored in a memory block that can persist through a reboot, but not for a few hours of being turned off.

What do you think I should do? I no longer need to send the phone to be fixed, but there's clearly a glitch that needs to be patched by someone
    12-07-19 11:48 AM