Is Blackberry planning to Launch DTEK70 with PKB in Q1 2017? Is there any truth on the below blog? Should I wait till 2017 for a pkb device or go ahead ordering a Passport SE now?

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2475942/blackberry-dtek70-release-date-price-and-specs
    11-01-16 11:53 AM
    Nope... the guy hasn't got a clue what he is talking about.

Did he reference some recent interview or some source to base his view on? No, he going off of old info that is outdated.

If you need or want a PKB and can deal with where BB10 is.... get the Passport SE now. At best I would not expect to see a new PKB phone till next summer, at worse it will only be available is a few (or one) markets.
    11-01-16 11:58 AM
    DTek 70 and the new PKB are two different phones

While the BlackBerry Mercury is the one with the 'PKB' the DTek 70 will be another 'full touch screen' i believe.
    11-01-16 12:02 PM
    DTek 70 and the new PKB are two different phones

While the BlackBerry Mercury is the one with the 'PKB' the DTek 70 will be another 'full touch screen' i believe.
    I don't think they will have a better specced DTEK 70 in near future. People even said the marketing material had K in bold for DTEK 70.
    11-01-16 12:16 PM
    I don't think they will have a better specced DTEK 70 in near future. People even said the marketing material had K in bold for DTEK 70.
    True,

Whatever comes no doubt it will be a 'PKB' first then another full touch (or maybe some wacky design lol)
    11-01-16 12:19 PM
    Nope... the guy hasn't got a clue what he is talking about.

Did he reference some recent interview or some source to base his view on? No, he going off of old info that is outdated.

If you need or want a PKB and can deal with where BB10 is.... get the Passport SE now. At best I would not expect to see a new PKB phone till next summer, at worse it will only be available is a few (or one) markets.
    Can you source the interview which led you to at best expect a PKB next summer? Last I recall was "within 6 months" from a BlackBerry executive I believe mentioned at the end of September.
    11-01-16 12:33 PM
    Can you source the interview which led you to at best expect a PKB next summer? Last I recall was "within 6 months" from a BlackBerry executive I believe mentioned at the end of September.
    No.... as right now there isn't an announced plan for ANY new BlackBerry devices at this point. Next one should be announced in Indonesia at some point as that is currently the only licensing partner. Really depends on how long an investment group can get something to market...

The Mercury, which has been talked about for.... well there are post in the Mercury section going back a year now. But for about six months BlackBerry has been saying before the end of the fiscal year, which is Feb 2017. But in September Chen kinda created doubts of that happening with his promise to be out of the hardware business by the end of the year. And Marty Beard confirmed that the DTEK60 is the last phone, so the Mercury is pretty much history right now. Marty Beard discusses DTEK60, BlackBerry's overall software strategy and the Enterprise of Things | CrackBerry.com

Now it is possible that tomorrow BlackBerry announces a new licensing agreement with Samsung and that they will have the Mercury as it's been rumored or better, will be released by Christmas. And it's possible that Santa himself will deliver it.
    11-01-16 02:20 PM
    No.... as right now there isn't an announced plan for ANY new BlackBerry devices at this point. Next one should be announced in Indonesia at some point as that is currently the only licensing partner. Really depends on how long an investment group can get something to market...

The Mercury, which has been talked about for.... well there are post in the Mercury section going back a year now. But for about six months BlackBerry has been saying before the end of the fiscal year, which is Feb 2017. But in September Chen kinda created doubts of that happening with his promise to be out of the hardware business by the end of the year. And Marty Beard confirmed that the DTEK60 is the last phone, so the Mercury is pretty much history right now. Marty Beard discusses DTEK60, BlackBerry's overall software strategy and the Enterprise of Things | CrackBerry.com

Now it is possible that tomorrow BlackBerry announces a new licensing agreement with Samsung and that they will have the Mercury as it's been rumored or better, will be released by Christmas. And it's possible that Santa himself will deliver it.
    So Alex Thurber blatantly lied? Could it just happen to possibly be that they have potential licence partner that they weren't yet ready to announce? Given that Thurber said it will come and Beard said he would be surprised if it doesn't.

If it's true that it may come within 6 months and Thurber didn't lie, could it also be possible that the design is already there? If they aren't even close to have a partner to make it (yet two of them said it is coming) then the likelihood of waiting on a partner, signing the deal and designing a whole new PKB device would take much longer then 6 months.
    11-01-16 03:12 PM
    So Alex Thurber blatantly lied? Could it just happen to possibly be that they have potential licence partner that they weren't yet ready to announce? Given that Thurber said it will come and Beard said he would be surprised if it doesn't.

If it's true that it may come within 6 months and Thurber didn't lie, could it also be possible that the design is already there? If they aren't even close to have a partner to make it (yet two of them said it is coming) then the likelihood of waiting on a partner, signing the deal and designing a whole new PKB device would take much longer then 6 months.
    Again Alex is a low level guy of a department that is being shutdown.... at that time maybe his understanding was that Chen was still thinking about it.

Marty is much higher up the food chain and his was a more recent comment - he was pretty clear that they were done, but that there would be future BlackBerry devices.... and there will be, somewhere.
    11-01-16 03:28 PM
    Again Alex is a low level guy of a department that is being shutdown.... at that time maybe his understanding was that Chen was still thinking about it.

Marty is much higher up the food chain and his was a more recent comment - he was pretty clear that they were done, but that there would be future BlackBerry devices.... and there will be, somewhere.
    Beard was talking internal hardware but Thurber is responsible for outsourcing. So both of them could be talking the truth from their perspectives. Don't underestimate Scott Wenger 's words also. If Mercury is finished in R&D and design, it is very likely a licensee will pick it up and produce it.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-01-16 03:32 PM

The guy in charge of devices wasn't told what they were doing and what to say going into an earnings call where they were announcing a massive shift in strategy? You really believe that? If that's the case then Chen is more incompetent and indecisive then any previous CEO BlackBerry has had.
    ardakca likes this.
    11-01-16 03:34 PM
    Beard was talking internal hardware but Thurber is responsible for outsourcing. So both of them could be talking the truth from their perspectives. Don't underestimate Scott Wenger 's words also. If Mercury is finished in R&D and design, it is very likely a licensee will pick it up and produce it.
    I expect they will.... where there is a market for it. The Mercury with toned down internals and only Indonesian radios, might sell just fine for $150.

Someone willing to risk the US market? That's something very different... takes special hardware, special testing and certifications, takes support for a very wide scope of users, there are all sorts of legal issues with bringing a product here. Look at how many Chinese companies stay away from the US market.
    11-01-16 03:45 PM
    I expect they will.... where there is a market for it. The Mercury with toned down internals and only Indonesian radios, might sell just fine for $150.

Someone willing to risk the US market? That's something very different... takes special hardware, special testing and certifications, takes support for a very wide scope of users, there are all sorts of legal issues with bringing a product here. Look at how many Chinese companies stay away from the US market.
    Well I do believe that Mercury is ready for US. Just needs the push. You know that all legal requirements and stuff is met before production.
    11-01-16 03:57 PM
    Well I do believe that Mercury is ready for US. Just needs the push. You know that all legal requirements and stuff is met before production.
    What it needs is someone willing to build, distribute, market and sell it..... as Chen is done losing money on hardware.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-02-16 07:05 AM
    What it needs is someone willing to build, distribute, market and sell it..... as Chen is done losing money on hardware.
    So we agree on the legal requirements and such.
    11-02-16 11:21 AM
    This is the one I'm waiting for. If it comes out with great specs I'm getting it. If not. Will go back to iPhone.
    11-02-16 11:34 AM
    Ohhhh look. Another blog post of rumors that have been discussed here for months now.

11-02-16 11:38 AM
    Damn that cat is fast.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-02-16 12:02 PM
    The guy in charge of devices wasn't told what they were doing and what to say going into an earnings call where they were announcing a massive shift in strategy? You really believe that? If that's the case then Chen is more incompetent and indecisive then any previous CEO BlackBerry has had.
    Believe whoever says what your opinion is, dunchanow?

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-02-16 12:06 PM
    Bottom line at this point is that despite some optimism at BlackBerry about a keyboard device being released in the foreseeable future, no news is still no news. We just have to wait it out.

Either continued silence on the matter will tell the story, or it will be released for Indonesia only, or maybe we will start to hear new rumors about a partnership to produce a Mercury like device for us. Meanwhile the speculation will continue.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-02-16 12:35 PM
    i want mercury
    11-02-16 12:40 PM
    i dont really know i want mercury
    11-02-16 12:50 PM
    Maybe you should ask the other you
    11-02-16 01:06 PM
    Maybe you should ask the other you
    Or learn to use the Quote button.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-02-16 03:50 PM
    Haha, I had to save that cat gif, hilarious!!
    11-02-16 04:14 PM
45 12