Hi guys,

Lets cut to the chase, i’ve dropped my phone from the top of the stairs all the way down and got stuck under a door after the stairs, while I was at work...

(I have a tl;tr at the end, story turned out longer than i thought)

I only had the pristine, second hand K1 for 2 months, after using a iphone8 for a year. It felt great using a Blackberry again. My first smartphone i ever bought was a 8900, then a Bold 9900, iphone 5S, Classic, Q10 and then the Iphone 8. I didn’t think the keyboard shortcuts would be such a great addition of the phone.

When I finally saw the phone laying on the floor, I saw what the damage was. The back popped off a bit, with the corner of the battery peeking out. Simtray popped out. Screen was bit scratched because i had to pull the phone out, because it was stuck under a door. But thats no big deal.
    I put the battery back and try to turn the phone on. Nothing. I got impatient so pulled the back cover off. Then I looked at the battery and pulled that one off.

Snap! I saw that the battery was connected with a battery lead.

Ive just ordered a new battery and had a eureka moment. ‘Maybe i can turn on the phone without the battery to see if there is anything wrong internally?’
    So i did that, and the phone turned on! Unbelievable! But now, without the battery and on a charger, the phone keeps restarting and vibrating. So my question is, will a new battery save my phone, or is there something internally wrong with my K1?
    Didnt the phone start up the first time because the battery lead was already broken?

TL;TR
    My phone fell from the stairs, got stuck under a door. Didnt start so I pulled the battery off. I can start the phone without battery, but it keeps vibrating and restarting. Is there something internally wrong after the drop or can a new battery fix my precious?

Thanks in advance folks!♥️
    03-19-19 02:48 PM
    My phone fell from the stairs, got stuck under a door. Didnt start so I pulled the battery off. I can start the phone without battery, but it keeps vibrating and restarting. Is there something internally wrong after the drop or can a new battery fix my precious?
    No one is going to be able to say for sure. Just put the new battery in when you get it and see. If I had to guess, though, it's not finishing the boot because there's no battery. The battery verification is part of the boot process. You have no battery, therefore, no boot.
    MrChiezy likes this.
    03-19-19 02:56 PM
    Hi guys,

Lets cut to the chase, i’ve dropped my phone from the top of the stairs all the way down and got stuck under a door after the stairs, while I was at work...

(I have a tl;tr at the end, story turned out longer than i thought)

I only had the pristine, second hand K1 for 2 months, after using a iphone8 for a year. It felt great using a Blackberry again. My first smartphone i ever bought was a 8900, then a Bold 9900, iphone 5S, Classic, Q10 and then the Iphone 8. I didn’t think the keyboard shortcuts would be such a great addition of the phone.

When I finally saw the phone laying on the floor, I saw what the damage was. The back popped off a bit, with the corner of the battery peeking out. Simtray popped out. Screen was bit scratched because i had to pull the phone out, because it was stuck under a door. But thats no big deal.
    I put the battery back and try to turn the phone on. Nothing. I got impatient so pulled the back cover off. Then I looked at the battery and pulled that one off.

Snap! I saw that the battery was connected with a battery lead.

Ive just ordered a new battery and had a eureka moment. ‘Maybe i can turn on the phone without the battery to see if there is anything wrong internally?’
    So i did that, and the phone turned on! Unbelievable! But now, without the battery and on a charger, the phone keeps restarting and vibrating. So my question is, will a new battery save my phone, or is there something internally wrong with my K1?
    Didnt the phone start up the first time because the battery lead was already broken?

TL;TR

Thanks in advance folks!♥️
    ...that awful feeling when you drop your phone... no real advice except that if you feel unsure of doing the battery replacement and reassembly, etc., you might want to take it to a cell phone repair shop that has the necessary tools. But get referrals.
    I have tons of empathy. My silver KEYone was humming along beautifully till it had its screen pop off after it slid onto the floor from where I had placed it. It had a case on so I suspect it had already started to come loose. It was still working and it could receive notifications and calls, but the screen wouldn't come back on even when I put it carefully back in place. Fortunately, since it is a known issue, (it was an early build) BlackBerry Mobile said it would be repaired without charge so I sent it off to their repair shop. Now I am waiting for its return. (On my PRIV in the mean time).
    All the best, and let us know how it goes.
    03-19-19 06:11 PM
    if the back plate is damaged, they sell that... online... a good tempered glass screen protector should cover scratches... you should be back in business... think about getting a Stil-Gut very nice leather case... good luck
    03-20-19 12:18 PM
    if I were you, i would not mess around without battery - DRAM memory may not be saved if no battery (not SRAM). don't know what is in the DRAM of BB, I would just turn it off and wait for new battery. IMHO. (I am not very advanture type, specifically when dealing with something that holds a lot value = sentimental and $. it would take a lot of trouble for me to set up a new phone to be "mine").
    03-20-19 12:33 PM
    Hey guys, thanks for the messages, i will keep you updated! Battery arrives 22-25 march.
    03-20-19 03:19 PM
    Backplate is completely fine!
    03-20-19 03:21 PM
    I did lose one of those two things that i marked with red on this picture. Anyone knows what it is?
    Attached Thumbnails Dropped my precious Keyone Black edition, need help.-8f2000c2-f5dc-4ba4-9024-d7b0e1e2fc77.jpeg  
    03-20-19 03:30 PM
    I can't zoom in on the picture with the app on a key1 xD. But that looks like a capacitor or resistor ... :O if that broke of the board I am not sure what it will or will not do, if you still have that part you might be able to go to a screen repair shop and ask if they can solder it back on.

Also getting the back plate back on is a pain, there are a few YouTube videos explaining how to do it.
    03-21-19 01:38 PM
    what is the marking under those two things? look like connector of some sort - it might be NFC connector...just a guess. if your back cover got matching two metallic dots/patches
    03-21-19 03:02 PM
    I believe your subject header is incorrect. Your device appears to be a standard KeyOne. (or at least looks different than my BE KeyOne) Sorry for your misfortune and hope you get things fixed up.
    bbone99 likes this.
    03-22-19 09:35 AM
    Hey guys!!! Writing this message on my Keyone again!
    What a device. The back plate was pretty difficult to get back on but I did it.

A little clip on the bottom left of the back plate is gone, but I am going to get a new back plate for it. Other than that, it was very easy to put a new battery in.

I cannot believe the phone still works, like nothing happend to it. It fell from 5(!) meters high, from the top of the metal stairs all the way down.I got very, very, lucky.

Thanks for your messages guys, I will never ever leave Blackberry again.

Have a great day folks, and let's hope the Key3 is going to be great!
    03-22-19 02:22 PM
    I believe your subject header is incorrect. Your device appears to be a standard KeyOne. (or at least looks different than my BE KeyOne) Sorry for your misfortune and hope you get things fixed up.
    Yeah the picture is a random keyone I pulled from our good old friend Google
    03-22-19 02:23 PM
    I did find 1 little con on the keyone....

The weight distribution is not that great haha have a great one guys and girls!
    03-22-19 02:24 PM
    It looks like the 2 little things that I marked are connected to the backplate, so nfc or wireless charging. I neither use those, so it's no biggie.

man I'm so happy.
    03-22-19 02:26 PM
    It looks like the 2 little things that I marked are connected to the backplate, so nfc or wireless charging. I neither use those, so it's no biggie.

man I'm so happy.
    03-22-19 02:26 PM
    Noticed the first problem, loud speaker isn't as good anymore, the speaker sounds muffled, and if you put the sound to loud, you can feel it in the phone. It normally does that too but now it's worse. The Normale speaker is fine though, so that is not big of a problem.
    03-22-19 02:37 PM
    OP, you should thanks for the damage of battery - it is replacable. BB design usually allow for control deformation - old 9900 you can throw across the room and all the back plate, battery fall out, but little damage to the phone. you are lucky possibly because BBK2 still inherited BBK1 design - allow deformation to absorb the energy to avoid catastrophic damage of the unit. Enjoy your K2. (put a better shock absorb case on it might be a good investment).
    03-22-19 06:47 PM