TL;DW: it doesn't. No more shelf of shame. The glue is actually so strong that attempting to remove the screen breaks it.
    08-17-17 11:13 AM
    Good to see him follow up on it with another test!
    knightfall and john_v like this.
    08-17-17 11:21 AM
    Haha permanent screen, nice
    08-17-17 11:22 AM
    So glad? To see a KEYone destroyed in the quest for knowledge. Just to reiterate. I have one of the originals, available in Canada from the first week, and it has been flawless, without a case.
    knightfall and ck2nb like this.
    08-17-17 11:30 AM
    Unfortunately TCL is not being transparent about which devices have adhesive and which don't, so this is still a problem in my book, because screens will continue to fall off. They should have just recalled all the unglued stock.
    08-17-17 11:33 AM
    TL;DW: it doesn't. No more shelf of shame. The glue is actually so strong that attempting to remove the screen breaks it.
    Well, attempting to remove the screen the wrong way. I would like to assume a qualified repair shop would be able to remove it without destroying the phone.

Thanks for posting the video. I feel better going on this instead of just hope.
    08-17-17 11:36 AM
    So glad? To see a KEYone destroyed in the quest for knowledge. Just to reiterate. I have one of the originals, available in Canada from the first week, and it has been flawless, without a case.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained...
    08-17-17 11:39 AM
    From this video I quickly come to the conclusion that it's now extremely important to have a tempered glass screen protector in the event of a drop because...if the screen cracks (as in any smartphone) then difficult to replace.

Side note: I strongly believe that the iPhone 5 generation has the best design as far as screen mounting...simply screws instead of glue/tape. Can't fail with screws, as long as they are quality unstrippable steel that is. Wish more manufacturers would go back to this type of lego like design instead.
    08-17-17 11:41 AM
    Doesn't a permanent screen mess up the process of screen replacement? (on your own) @cbk can you confirm by any means the KEYone being sold in India also has this screen since as of now TCL is building?

Posted via CB10
    08-17-17 11:43 AM
    JerryRig's claim is that the first KEYone he has has no adhesive whatsoever. From Kevin, and other users, there appears to be adhesive or sealant around the edges. So, perhaps the first KEYone's either had nothing or some adhesive/sealant, with the latter being more durable. Since there's been no change in the packaging, could it be that the "some adhesive/sealant" versions are actually good-to-go too? And the newer ones are permanent? This makes the "some adhesive/sealant" version a good compromise between durability and ease-of-repair.
    08-17-17 11:54 AM
    Side note: I strongly believe that the iPhone 5 generation has the best design as far as screen mounting...simply screws instead of glue/tape. Can't fail with screws, as long as they are quality unstrippable steel that is. Wish more manufacturers would go back to this type of lego like design instead.
    Wouldn't drops cause the fail points to be where the screws are instead of being more evenly distributed throughout when adhesive is used? But as far as repairs, screws make a lot more sense.
    08-17-17 11:58 AM
    Unfortunately TCL is not being transparent about which devices have adhesive and which don't, so this is still a problem in my book, because screens will continue to fall off. They should have just recalled all the unglued stock.
    Didn't someone mention that they pulled back stock from carriers? And for Amazon and Best Buy, they've been selling out, so original stock is gone. The outliers are the ones from unofficial resellers.
    08-17-17 12:00 PM
    Didn't someone mention that they pulled back stock from carriers? And for Amazon and Best Buy, they've been selling out, so original stock is gone. The outliers are the ones from unofficial resellers.
    It would stand to reason since the phones were pretty much out of stock after this happened, though I don't remember hearing an official announcement.
    08-17-17 12:31 PM
    But surely Kevin's video, which tested multiple KEYones, proved the durability of the phone & the stability of the screen installation even before the additional adhesive measures?

Posted via CB10
    knightfall likes this.
    08-17-17 01:14 PM
    CDMA has not been in stock for weeks, but that's more likely because the Chinese model also uses a CDMA modem and they were producing those, rather than an attempt to pull stock.
    08-17-17 02:33 PM
    It would stand to reason since the phones were pretty much out of stock after this happened, though I don't remember hearing an official announcement.
    I'm almost certain there was a recall from retailers in the UK. Carphone Warehouse and Clove became very clued up on the issue via customer service channels, and there was a sudden, brief lack of stock with the former very recently which covered the entire country. I wondered if this was a double check procedure.

As an aside, the display handsets in my two closest Carphone Warehouse stores had developed screen lift and were replaced this week. I sensed that some fine-tuning of the device has taken place, with the keyboards feeling significantly sturdier and, as others have already suggested, a slightly different rear camera ring.

On the JerryRig video, part of me had expected to see adhesive slathered in a great mess all over the back of the screen . Respect to him, though, it was decent to give the KeyOne a retest.
    08-17-17 03:21 PM
    Great follow up video and as others have said, it's great to see someone actually follow up and show that the manufacturing defect has been corrected on the newer K1's.

I do wish they would have at least had some identification on the box showing it was a "fixed" device. Thanks for the follow up video sir.
    08-17-17 03:21 PM
    I got my phone June 5th ordered May 31th at 1205 am from amazon. I have dropped my phone a few times and i dont have a case. phone has been fine...
    Noordenneonline likes this.
    08-17-17 03:31 PM
    Doesn't a permanent screen mess up the process of screen replacement? (on your own) @cbk can you confirm by any means the KEYone being sold in India also has this screen since as of now TCL is building?

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure they have a special process / tools to remove faulty screens. Not something people should be worrying about, imo.
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    08-17-17 03:44 PM
    Great follow up video and as others have said, it's great to see someone actually follow up and show that the manufacturing defect has been corrected on the newer K1's.

I do wish they would have at least had some identification on the box showing it was a "fixed" device. Thanks for the follow up video sir.
    In engineering mode you can find out the manufacture date! It appears most devices coming out of July has the screen fixed!
    08-17-17 04:11 PM
    In engineering mode you can find out the manufacture date! It appears most devices coming out of July has the screen fixed!
    Thanks for the info sir, I will pass it along to some folks I know who are interested in buying one, but where on the fence and this should clear things up for them.
    08-17-17 04:52 PM
    What a great video and follow up. Cheers to Jerry and BlackBerry Mobile.
    08-17-17 05:06 PM
    I purchased my phone when it first launched from Amazon. Was doing great and then the screen did start to lift until it eventually came all off during a phone call. Yes, I was mad, so I sent it to BlackBerry repair center. In less than a week, I had my phone back all repaired and it's awesome.
    08-17-17 05:18 PM
    Looks like TCL did a great job with the glue process.
    08-17-17 05:26 PM
    I think they did! While mine was in repairs, I went back to my old S6 Edge and I was like, "I should have never switched" . However, once I got my Ketone back and started playing with it, I was like "oh yeaaah, this is why I switched" .
    08-17-17 05:43 PM
46 12