Thanks for the informative reply Troy, Regards Jim
    11-04-17 12:10 AM
    Can't compare, but my black edition works fine
    I agree. My reception has been great. It's been better than when I had my PRIV.
    11-04-17 12:53 AM
    Reception was my biggest concern before buying. I took the plunge and my fears were definitely overblown.

I don't have any issue with reception with my Black Edition KeyONE on AT&T in the US.

I also carry an LG G6 and reception is the same, sometimes better (bars). Call quality is definitely better versus the G6 which is strange because the G6 has HD voice, whereas the K1 does not support it since this is an imported model.
    Doesn't HD Voice have to do with the HD Voice Codec being enabled at the carrier/network side? The LE K1 i've used in India has HD Voice working fine on 3G cellular calls I've made.
    11-04-17 06:17 AM
    UPDATE: Phone (BBK1Black) arrived tonight, before shutting down the PPSE I had Four Bars, Upon stated up of Key1, sitting in exact same spot there were Three Bars.

OP: I'm in a fringe area, on the outskirts of a small town and have a Passport SE, when my k1blk arrives Tuesday. I'll grab screen shots, of right before I shut down the PP and right after setup of the k1blk. Right now on my PPSE and on Mint sim I have four bars.

PS: is there an app to measure accurately reception instead of bars as well as the cell tower provider?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by EndRacism; 11-04-17 at 08:56 PM.
    11-04-17 06:26 AM
    I'm in a fringe area, on the outskirts of a small town and have a Passport SE, when my k1blk arrives Tuesday. I'll grab screen shots, of right before I shut down the PP and right after setup of the k1blk. Right now on my PPSE and on Mint sim I have four bars.

PS: is there an app to measure accurately reception instead of bars as well as the cell tower provider?

Posted via CB10
    Signal Strength

There's a free with Ads version or you can subscribe yearly (which I don't like!!!)
    11-04-17 01:51 PM
    One thing that everyone needs to realize is that you can't compare YOUR performance with someone else's in a different area on a different carrier. Radio bands play a huge part of the reception equation, with some bands traveling further and penetrating better than others - that's especially important in rural areas, vs. urban areas where there will be several small and medium cell points within a block of you at all times, probably on different bands that are fast but short-range only. The carriers carefully analyze locations and usage patterns and use different radio bands and tower configurations to best serve each zone. And do I even need to mention the big difference from carrier to carrier?

Even two people standing right next to each other and using the same carrier could get different performance on two different phones because one has a key radio band that the other lacks, forcing the second phone to use a "backup" connection that won't give the same performance, or perhaps not get a signal at all.

Having said that, it seems clear that the K1's antenna/radio performance is lacking for many people, which likely means that the antenna doesn't work well with some bands while working adequately on others. That is a design flaw, but not one that end-users will be able to correct with any ease. I'm sure TCL has heard the complaints and should do better with future devices (the Motion likely wasn't changed from whatever the initial plans were, if in fact there might have been a problem with it, due to the likelihood that it was too far along in the process - we'll have to see what users report).
    I don't see how you can make the assumption that low signal levels on certain bands is a KEYone issue, and not a network / carrier issue.
    11-04-17 03:29 PM
    I really haven't had any problems with reception on att. My problem is dropped calls which att has historically been notorious for. Anyways as has been mentioned earlier, most likely the band's used. some are stronger than others.
    11-04-17 05:08 PM
    I don't see how you can make the assumption that low signal levels on certain bands is a KEYone issue, and not a network / carrier issue.
    I'm saying that in some cases, it IS a carrier/network issue - and that it is difficult to do phone vs. phone comparisons if you don't understand how the different bands could affect the signal/performance (by, say, one phone using one band and the second phone using another, even for the same person holding both phones at once).

I'm also saying that the volume of complaints make it likely that there IS some problem with the K1, but it will likely only affect users on certain carrier/band/distance combinations, which means different people can have very different experiences with the same phone.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-04-17 08:10 PM
    I haven't had any reception issues with my KEYOne black since I received. I've been getting at least the same or better reception as compared to my PRIV.
    11-04-17 08:49 PM
    I'm saying that in some cases, it IS a carrier/network issue - and that it is difficult to do phone vs. phone comparisons if you don't understand how the different bands could affect the signal/performance (by, say, one phone using one band and the second phone using another, even for the same person holding both phones at once).

I'm also saying that the volume of complaints make it likely that there IS some problem with the K1, but it will likely only affect users on certain carrier/band/distance combinations, which means different people can have very different experiences with the same phone.
    Well I can tell you this - based on real experience, not conjecture. Two KEYones...one silver carrier-locked (May), one black edition (Sept); same network, same service plan, same location, same usage pattern, same sim card, same cell phone tower locations, same signal levels displayed...the silver dropped calls, the black didn't. I agree, it is not likely TCL re-designed the antenna in the last four months. So, all other factors being equal, that points to two possibilities in my mind: the build quality of early units (which is already a proven / acknowledged issue --> screens) , and something to do with the software, carrier / device configuration, settings, etc that has been updated since the initial release.

Again, from my perspective, I fail to see the logic in citing the antenna design as a probable cause for reception issues. Assuming the silver and black editions have the same antenna, there is no reason one should drop calls and not the other under the exact same conditions.
    11-04-17 09:49 PM
    Using the K1 Black Edition as a secondary phone for business purposes. I also have an iPhone 8. I always have both devices with me. I'm using the same carrier for both. I've never seen the iPhone having worse reception than the K1, but the K1 has many times had worse reception than the iPhone. Especially indoors and while traveling outside of downtown areas. The difference can be so dramatic that sometimes I'll get no signal at all on the BlackBerry, while the iPhone will still have LTE. Restarting the K1 will sometimes (temporarily) fix the issue.
    Jamie Wooten and Malduin6 like this.
    11-13-17 07:41 AM
    message to the OP.

Maybe try a BB Priv? this why you get all the android apps, and you likely will have the excellent BB Paratek antenna?
    11-13-17 08:05 AM
    on my black edition reception works just fine, without any signal drops
    11-13-17 08:18 AM
    You should try a Priv.

You won't be disappointed in terms of coverage compared to the Passport.

I bought 2 Keyone but went back to my Priv due to the reason you are asking for.
    11-13-17 08:28 AM

I also carry an LG G6 and reception is the same, sometimes better (bars). Call quality is definitely better versus the G6 which is strange because the G6 has HD voice, whereas the K1 does not support it since this is an imported model.
    I have the Black Edition imported (came with the UK charger) on t-mobile and I get the HD Voice
    11-14-17 02:08 AM
    The best way to deal with the reception issue is to switch your preferred network in Settings > More > Cellular Networks > Preferred network type from "4G/3G/2G" or "4G/3G" to "3G/2G". The problem seems to stem from a faulty 4G antenna. This turns that antenna off and switches the phone to 3G permanently. Alternatively you can also get a plastic case for the back of the phone, but in my experience you'll still be degrading the signal whenever you touch the front of the phone with your face while making calls. So I'd recommend turning 4G off if you want reliability. Obviously you might be sacrificing some speed for that though.
    FF22 and Malduin6 like this.
    11-14-17 09:42 AM
    The suggestion to turn 4G speed off on the phone is like buying a BMW and riding like a horse-cart. Is that what we should expect from today's smartphones, in particular at that price level?
    kbz1960 and Jamie Wooten like this.
    11-14-17 12:50 PM
    Using the K1 Black Edition as a secondary phone for business purposes. I also have an iPhone 8. I always have both devices with me. I'm using the same carrier for both. I've never seen the iPhone having worse reception than the K1, but the K1 has many times had worse reception than the iPhone. Especially indoors and while traveling outside of downtown areas. The difference can be so dramatic that sometimes I'll get no signal at all on the BlackBerry, while the iPhone will still have LTE. Restarting the K1 will sometimes (temporarily) fix the issue.
    This is the same issue I’m having. Granted sprint is horrible but at least with my iPhone I get signal. The Keyone will lose it completely and takes forever to come back!
    brettw1515 likes this.
    11-14-17 01:07 PM
    The suggestion to turn 4G speed off on the phone is like buying a BMW and riding like a horse-cart. Is that what we should expect from today's smartphones, in particular at that price level?
    Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty tired of issues like this too. Making users come up with workarounds for their defective or outdated phones has long become part of Blackberry's business model. I only have a Blackberry at this point because I'm used to working (calling, emailing, texting/messaging) with one. I wouldn't be using the K1 if I could keep getting Whatsapp on the Classic, or if the Priv had a better keyboard.
    11-14-17 02:14 PM
    Thee keyone's reception is trash and will always be trash.

It's a design flaw, and the black edition is the exact same, just with more RAM and actual glue on the screen.

Remember, it's not BlackBerry making these devices, it's a Chinese manufacturer, TCL.

You'll have to look for something from a company that makes decent phones. Unfortunately i think reception as good as the BB10 devices will be hard to come by.

Consider using one for calls and texts, and maybe pair it with a tablet for apps and games?
    It puzzles me why people love to add "Chinese" in front of TCL when they have something to say about the Keyone quality. I mean , which phone is NOT made in China by a Chinese company nowadays? The iphone x, pixel 2, you name it....It's not about nationality , it's about quality control of individual companies....

I for one thinks the Keyone is trash also, but I don't think it has anything to do with TCL being a Chinese company...
    11-14-17 03:32 PM
    This was a reason I waited so long to take the plunge. The phone is OK to buy if you like a PKB. I get 4G the same as my Samsungs.
    In my flat where reception can drop. Here's a screenshot to show you reception.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a3832d78a6.jpg
    I know that this is not the right forum to ask this, but you seem to have completely bought into your KeyOne Black edition.

Did you get a chance to explore a Priv? Just curious to know your views and a comparison as far as signal reception is concerned.

Sent from my STV100-3 using CB Forums mobile app
    02-02-18 09:57 AM
    I do. Two actually. The Black edition is easily the best phone I've owned. Solves the two issues with the Silver; more RAM, and a stickier screen.
    HERE ya go!Actually a positive response I too is the same!!!!
    02-02-18 10:39 AM
    I know that this is not the right forum to ask this, but you seem to have completely bought into your KeyOne Black edition.

Did you get a chance to explore a Priv? Just curious to know your views and a comparison as far as signal reception is concerned.

Sent from my STV100-3 using CB Forums mobile app
    Yes, I love it!! Never had a Priv and that phone is history now.
    I've been won back from Samsung. If you want a PKB, take the plunge, you won't regret it. Honstly. Black or bronze you can't go wrong.
    02-02-18 11:06 AM
    Never had a Priv and that phone is history now.
    Not even close. Many people are still managing to use BB10 devices as their primaries and those are all stuck on 4.3. Priv runs MM, currently the third to last Android version, and it's app availability is good to go for years to come. It's also getting incredibly cheap and a great value for money. Parts are a bit rare but again so cheap now that used ones for parts can be found readily.
    The only one downside? No more security patches since Oct 2017.
    02-04-18 05:00 AM
    I had both. Initially I thought the black had better reception but soon realized that they're identical. Same bars, same everything. Probably was just wishful thinking. Both work fine though in my area.
    02-04-18 12:07 PM
55 123